CNET: Apple to launch iTunes for Windows next week | iLounge News

CNET: Apple to launch iTunes for Windows next week

“The Mac maker has scheduled an event for next Thursday at San Francisco’s Moscone West convention hall. ‘The year’s biggest music story is about to get even bigger,’ Apple said in an invitation to journalists.

The company is expected to launch the long-awaited Windows version of the iTunes Music Store at the event, according to Wall Street brokerage Needham. Apple earlier said it would release the Windows service sometime before the end of the year.”

« iPod chipmaker sued over patent

PocketDock for iPods for $17 »

Comments

I hope it’s what we’ve been dreaming about.  If so, Apple has everything to gain, which would mean they had every reason to make it as good as the Mac version.  I just hope they realized this.

Tick tock, tick tock…

Posted by Z on October 9, 2003 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

Well, seems I can’t wait also, we want it now !

Posted by musicroom on October 9, 2003 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

I hope they wise up and add a monthly streaming option to iTMS. I use both Rhapsody and iTunes and while I’ve bought a bunch of music on iTTMS, the selection is rather narrow and it is *expensive*. I find now I am buying only one or two songs a month from the iTMS, but I am paying Rhapsody their $10 to stream any of the 300K songs I want. Needless to say, I can record the songs I stream into mp3 (but this is outside of Rhapsody’s user agreement!).

Posted by Rhapsody on October 9, 2003 at 12:42 PM (CDT)

This is sure to make the stock jump at least 10 points - maybe more…I’m buying today…

Posted by glen on October 9, 2003 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

Does anyone have a link to download the beta of iTunes for Windows?

Posted by RoxyJoni on October 9, 2003 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

I’ve waited for this since July ‘02 when the Windows iPod was annouced and now it’s only a week away. I don’t think I can wait that long :)

Posted by Weasel on October 9, 2003 at 2:58 PM (CDT)

Does *anyone* have a link to an official release from Apple stating that iTunes for Windows WILL work with Windows iPods?

I know it seems like a “duh” question, but… well… they haven’t really said that it’ll work with iPods yet.  I know Apple well enough to not take anything for granted, so if someone can ease my mind on this, I’d appreciate it.

Posted by c.c.r. on October 9, 2003 at 4:15 PM (CDT)

Stock shouldn’t jump.  iTunes for Windows is old news.

Posted by Albert on October 9, 2003 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

ABOUT TIME!

Posted by bobby Sakaki on October 9, 2003 at 5:24 PM (CDT)

glen save your money.

Posted by zeve on October 9, 2003 at 5:29 PM (CDT)

If iTunes is coming next week, shouldn’t therebe a firmware update for winpod users before then?

Posted by Scribble on October 9, 2003 at 5:31 PM (CDT)

I just hope iTunes for Windows will be the full featured program like on the Mac, not just a music downloading interface.

Posted by mongoos150 on October 9, 2003 at 6:17 PM (CDT)

Will the iTunes music store work with 2nd generation touchwheel iPods?

Posted by Alan R. Solot on October 9, 2003 at 6:18 PM (CDT)

Yea! I can’t wait!!!

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 9, 2003 at 10:23 PM (CDT)

I assume that iTunes for Windows will work worldwide but the music store bit will only be available in the US at the moment? Or will European users (i.e. me ;)) not be able to use the product at all yet?

Also if it is true that there would need to be a software update (not sure this would be neccessary) does everyone think that this might include updates for the new (rumoured) mystery peripherals?? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031006143410.shtml)

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on October 10, 2003 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

From everything that I’ve read, it seems as though EU(European)I-Tunes would launch sometime in early 2004. The buzz is that the delayed launch has a lot to do with getting clearance(s) from European labels,and I think platform(?)issues specific to European Windows.
  Also,if the way they launched the Gen3 v.2
of the Ipod,was any indication,chances are they will E-mail it the moment I-Tunes is announced. It caught me off guard,but it was effective. I’m curious if this is something we would have to pay for or not…
If so,I would be cool with it,because I can’t see hassling with some of the other services(esp.MM)to use dl’s I’ve paid for only to have to re-rip to MP3…But that’s another issue…

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 10, 2003 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

robroe, I share your concern. As an Asian iPod user, I’m really hoping Apple will deliver a product and service to users worldwide, instead of just USA. However I must admit that it’s a bit too much to hope for, what with problems with licensing agreements and whatnot.

Posted by ketsugi on October 11, 2003 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

If you have a credit card that is billed to the USA with a US address you can buy at the itunes store anywhere in the world..Just have broadband..

Thursday in San Fran we will see the new itunes for mac/win..

Posted by wozman on October 12, 2003 at 3:52 PM (CDT)