CNET: Five reasons not to buy an iPod | iLounge News

CNET: Five reasons not to buy an iPod

“For the past year, the media has been clamoring about iPod killers on the horizon—new MP3 players with more features, longer battery life, and designs nearly as svelte as the iPod’s. However, this oversimplifies the situation; in truth, while the iPod rocks, it’s not now, nor has it ever been, perfect for everyone.

We too have run our fair share of iPod-centric headlines—for a good reason. With about 1.5 million units sold, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player in the world, and it still makes other players look and feel inelegant in comparison. Don’t get me wrong; it’s still our favorite overall MP3 player. Although everyone can think of reasons why they want an iPod, I’ve decided to use this column to list a few reasons why not to buy one.”

« The Register UK: iTunes is ‘not a money maker’

ZDNet UK: What’s wrong with digital rights management? »

Comments

More Apple bashing FUD from CNET.  Geez, they’re really having to dig deep now to come up with negative Apple stories to run…

Posted by Rhynes on November 7, 2003 at 10:44 AM (CST)

Did you even read the article?  Everything they pointed out is fact and reasons why some people should not get the iPod.  It’s not for everyone and it definitely has some shortfalls.  I don’t understand why some people on this forum are so worried about other companies creating mp3 players that do some things better than the ipod.  Innovation helps the customer by forcing Apple and the other companies to create better products.

Posted by wickerbill on November 7, 2003 at 10:49 AM (CST)

Being the best always comes at a price…people will try to knock you down.

Posted by mark on November 7, 2003 at 10:54 AM (CST)

Not to mention he did say that the iPod is “still hands down the best-designed MP3 player in the world.”

Posted by Hephador on November 7, 2003 at 10:56 AM (CST)

None of his reasons faze me. I get 11.5 hours with my classic 20gb. I don’t care about recording ability or buying from an online source or any of that other fluff that the ipod does do. I bought it for one thing and one thing only, for my music period, end of story.

Posted by revmike in hanford, ca on November 7, 2003 at 11:04 AM (CST)

Totally agree with Wickerbill.
Without good competition, then why should Apple keep developing?
iPod users have got to realise that there are technologically superior devices out there but the trade-off is having an ugly lump pulling down on your belt.
There are very few companies that marry technological advance with aesthetic appeal, (Sony are the world champs at this). Apple will risk losing it’s position if it does not keep up with technological advances.  Who would have thought 5 years ago, that if you didn’t have a colour screen and a camera on your new phone you were screwed!

iPod does what it does well and looks good while it is going it.
But I predict that before long, people will be moaning about it’s lack of recording capability or not having a colour screen, or not having wireless capability, or cannot toast a bagel properly.

Posted by pete on November 7, 2003 at 11:20 AM (CST)

It was a good article that was based on fact and not based on the “iPod is perfect” philosophy that many loungers incorporate into their arguments when discussing the iPod. Except for saying that the iPod does not perform well during physical activity which many have reported, including myself, that it does; everything the article said was right on.
Including the part that states it

Posted by SpideyXP on November 7, 2003 at 11:27 AM (CST)

He forgot to mention that in terms of sound quality, the iPod doesn’t even compare to other mp3 players on the market.  There is a reason why apple refuses to disclose the signal to noise ratio of thier product.  Compared to my other players (creative, archos, iriver), the sound quality doesn’t even come close!!!  When it really comes down to it, the iPod only thrives on its design and its compact size.

Posted by Roan on November 7, 2003 at 11:46 AM (CST)

The only actual negative is the battery life, which everyone agrees should be longer.

He could have mentioned that the DRM used by Apple is less onerous and more consistent than the DRM most of the online competitors use for their WMA or MP3 music.

But in any event, there is no reason you can’t use MP3s from any source on an ipod. As of now, it won’t play WMA (or OGG).

Posted by jmk on November 7, 2003 at 11:47 AM (CST)

I’m sorry, *all* DRM is onerous. It is irrelevant who is more or less onerous. The entire deal treats every consumer like a criminal, and it is as insulting as all of the “Do not steal music” notes lurking everywhere on this site. It doesn’t matter if your “hero company” uses it, you do not have to suddenly defend something that you have always looked down upon, and say things like—well it is less evil than their evil.

Come on.

Posted by Ioa on November 7, 2003 at 11:54 AM (CST)

I find it interesting how they insert pictures and helpful links to the other mp3 players reviews and prices but none for the iPod as if to say - Here, go check them out and buy them.  CNET has become filled with so much Apple FUD, it’s become the Fox News of the Internet.  I use my iPod while jogging and have never had a problem, and you can replace the iPod battery should it die.

Weak effort!

Posted by atc on November 7, 2003 at 12:21 PM (CST)

“CNET has become filled with so much Apple FUD”

Is that why they call the iPod the best mp3 player out there?  Is that why they give the iPod an editor’s choice rating?

Posted by Albert on November 7, 2003 at 1:00 PM (CST)

You should seriously read yourself in a year with an objective mind and see how paranoid you look. Nearly half the page is filled with them saying, “hey, like we’ve been saying all along, the iPod is the best…” The whole point of this article is to suggest that it is not perfect for everyone, which is really obvious if you think about it for longer than a minute, and to point out alternative players for people who might have concerns with these *specific* issues. Of course they are going to provide links to the alternatives they recommend. Apple FUD? They’ve been strong iPod supporters for years, they still are. Your reality is more cracked than Steve Jobs’.

And yes, you can change the battery, voiding your warrenty. You are not seriously suggesting whipping out screwdrivers and tools to replace the battery in the middle of a road trip, are you? They are talking about standard uptime on the device. If you need more than six or so hours in a row—there are better alternatives. What is so difficult to grasp about that? Some people need lots of battery life, others do not. It’s called variety. Live with it.

Posted by Ioa on November 7, 2003 at 1:06 PM (CST)

I am a competitive bodybuilder - I spend 10-15 hours a week at the gym. I’ve been using an iPod constantly - for weightlifting and cardio. The iPod has NEVER skipped on me - when doing heavy squats or deadlifts, when on a treadmill or stairmaster - during ANY vigorous activity. I’ve even forgotten my iPod was strapped to my back when doing bench press and felt like I was going to crush it - and still played like a champ. Personally, I think whoever wrote that is probably some pansy jogger who doesn’t know proper form (yes, their IS proper form when jogging, as with any exercise).

Most of the serious weight trainers and exercisers I see around my gym are using an iPod. If it skipped or worked as they claimed it did, it wouldn’t be so commonplace - and I know I wouldn’t be using it. I graduated from CD player, to minidisc to iPod, and I’ve never looked back.

There are definitely some vigorous activities I’d never take my ‘Pod on - mountain biking, very high impact aerobic activites, paintball - the iPod might now skip in the manner that author described, but unless well-protected might suffer some physical damage that would cause it to skip.

While I am no fan of CNET - I think, much like InfoWorld, they really do not have objective opinions as a whole - if you look at their reviews of all HD-based players, the iPod gets a 9.0 rating - far, far above any other HD player they review.

And finally, I agree with what another poster said - the iPod isn’t for everyone. I can’t convince my boyfriend to get one, and has told me he doesn’t want one. He likes his old-fashioned CD player at the gym. If I get him a portable MP3 player, maybe he’ll start changing his mind.

Posted by CMuscleSF on November 7, 2003 at 1:22 PM (CST)

The article didn’t say anything about the iPod skipping. It said it is not wise to strap a hard drive to your arm and run around with it, even if it does only spin up occasionally. I agree with their cautionary tone. These hard drives are like any other. If you knock it while it is accessing you damage the platter surface anywhere from a minor scratch and some damaged blocks (which over time reduces available space) or in a worst case scenario, the platter which is revolving at thousands per minute, could shatter.

I just wouldn’t even take the risk. If I had to be running around and such all of the time, I would get a flash memory based player. It’s a better long term investment.

For desk-sitters like myself, hard drives are fine. Even better than flash due to the extra space.

Posted by Ioa on November 7, 2003 at 1:40 PM (CST)

It’s because the CNet is filled with Apple FUD? That

Posted by SpideyXP on November 7, 2003 at 1:49 PM (CST)

I agree with whoever said all DRM is onerous.
It’s weak to say Apple’s is less onerous because it is “more consistent”.

What about the fact that Apple’s DRM only enables you to use Apple’s iPod to playback the tracks? Is that onerous enough for you?
Or is it ok for AAC w/FairPlay to be proprietary because Apple does it?
If MS’s WMA format only worked with players that MS put out the Apple fanatics would line out to point out the evil that is Bill Gates. But when Jobs does it and then openly touts he has no intention of changing it because it then its ok because it is Apple right? The hypocrisy some spew in these forums is ridiculous.

Admit it, all DRM sucks. Especially when it chooses on which platform and device you can listen to the music you purchased. Just because Apple does it doesn

Posted by Onerous on November 7, 2003 at 1:59 PM (CST)

great article.. I own the iRiver iFP-380T (128MB) as well with an Ipod…

Posted by bababooey on November 7, 2003 at 2:33 PM (CST)

I think the CNET bias theory comes from the headline—which is fair to criticize, since it’s all some people will read. (A headline perhaps not even written by the article author?) And from a trend at CNET lately with regards to several issues. Relating (mostly) true facts but with an anti-Apple pro-MS spin that is truly a double standard.

I’m not saying the bias is there—and if it is, it’s CNET and not the specific author—but I do think it’s a good possibility.

Posted by Nagromme on November 7, 2003 at 3:15 PM (CST)

Regarding the trend that has people criticizing CNET/ZDNET (same folks), here’s another case:

They just had an article (basically the same one seen all over) about Apple’s success vs. Napster and others. A positive article—little more than a press release in fact. It cites Nielsen SoundScan ratings showing that Apple has 80% of the music download market—with the other 20% including ALL other stores, not just Napster.

Pretty clear cut… so why did ZDNET phrase their headline this way?

“Apple claims song sales far outstrip Napster”

Again, I do wonder if some bias is present at ZDNET/CNET—and not necessarily from the writers but from the editors. (“Claims”? Do they really think Nielsen ratings will be proven a fraud and Napster is actually selling more then Apple?)

Posted by Nagromme on November 7, 2003 at 3:25 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›