CNET: Five reasons not to buy an iPod | iLounge News

CNET: Five reasons not to buy an iPod

“For the past year, the media has been clamoring about iPod killers on the horizon—new MP3 players with more features, longer battery life, and designs nearly as svelte as the iPod’s. However, this oversimplifies the situation; in truth, while the iPod rocks, it’s not now, nor has it ever been, perfect for everyone.

We too have run our fair share of iPod-centric headlines—for a good reason. With about 1.5 million units sold, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player in the world, and it still makes other players look and feel inelegant in comparison. Don’t get me wrong; it’s still our favorite overall MP3 player. Although everyone can think of reasons why they want an iPod, I’ve decided to use this column to list a few reasons why not to buy one.”

« The Register UK: iTunes is ‘not a money maker’

ZDNet UK: What’s wrong with digital rights management? »

Comments

Hmmmm, was that article sponsored by Dell, Archos, Creative and iRiver?

And just in time for Christmas?!

I don’t care, I’ll still get an iPod.

Posted by SoloMalee on November 10, 2003 at 12:13 AM (PDT)

Why is it that Apple computer fans do NOT accept any type of criticism of their products?  What makes Apple products PERFECT and UNTOUCHABLE?  Why is it ok to criticize ANY product in the worls as long as it is not Apple?  Why can there be no negativity about an Apple product?  WE sure as hell see criticism regarding many products in the computer industry, yet you do not ##### about that, do you?

You guys are clueless and you are dumb.

Go get a life, you guys are pathetic.  You discredit yourself by talking like that.  Nobody takes you seriously.

Posted by Objectivity on November 10, 2003 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

The guy had a point about the battery life, but I run with my iPod three times a week and have never heard it skip.

Posted by Piranhahaha on November 10, 2003 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

So, following his theory:
Should I trash my BMW and get a Hyundai because they have 10,000 miles/10yr warranty?

I’m not an Apple freak or fan but they did do a really excellent job with Ipod and had to get one. Only till now are there the MP3 player wars but Ipod is way ahead of competition. When ipod first came out the new technology then was MP3 players that used CD’s with copied MP3’s or devices that carried 128mb. Of course I also agree that there should be competition, this is what makes better technology. But hands down = Ipod!!  If this is not the case, why even be at IpodLounge.com!!

Posted by Curious George on November 10, 2003 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

“When ipod first came out the new technology then was MP3 players that used CD’s with copied MP3’s or devices that carried 128mb.”

No, you’re wrong. And also pretty hard to read.

Archos brought out the first hard drive-based portable music player, the Archos 6000, in early 2000. Then Creative followed.

Around a year after their products proved there was a market, Apple branded the PortalPlayer 5002 design and launched it as iPod. But they did spend a hell of a lot more on marketing than either Archos or Creative, so perhaps you can be mistaken for thinking that Apple were “first”

Like Microsoft wanting to claim it “did” Windows first, Apple seems to want to claim it did hard drive players first. BUt the facts do not bear out your assumption.

Posted by historybuff on November 10, 2003 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

So the public sentiment is that the first viable mp3 player was the iPod. This product brought mp3 players to the masses. There may have been other products on the market. I didn’t see ‘em around. Not like how Apple has brought this product to the masses.

They say the Vikings were the first to discover America, but instead we have a Columbus holiday, don’t we?

There’s certainly competition, yet really is there an alternative?

“Again, Apple freaks feel like they are alone in the world and fighting against everybody else. “

Not sure why you feel this way, but if you find an alternative to the iPod, go for it. Buy yourself one o’ those ugly ### pieces of crap.

The rest of us will make our own smart purchases.

Posted by Mabopo on November 10, 2003 at 9:32 PM (PDT)

“This product brought mp3 players to the masses.”

More people use AOL get onto the Internet than any other. By your logic that means AOL is the best? You really want the iPod to be remembered as the AOL of the portable music players? Well done, it’s certainly over-priced and dumbed-down enough!

“There’s certainly competition, yet really is there an alternative?”

Apple accounts for 18% of unit sales. That means over 80% of portably music players sold are *not* iPods. It seems even the “masses” want a broad range of products at many price points, not simply higher-priced boutique products.

“Buy yourself one o’ those ugly a** pieces of crap.”

If the iPod is so perfect, why do so many people buy skins and add-ons to improve its appearance and to protect its cheap casing from scratches? Why do so many people buy clunky accessories to add missing features, like recording, FM, and extra battery?

“The rest of us will make our own smart purchases.”

You’re just a blind Apple fanboy, I sincerely doubt you are capable of making a rational decision.

I chose to buy an iPod for convenience, yes, but I also bought an Archos (for movies and recording), an iRiver (for jogging), and a Neuros (because it was just so damn advanced and I wanted a cool toy). I think I’m more qualified than you to hold opinions on the merits of different portably players.

None of them are perfect.

Posted by whaddayaknow on November 11, 2003 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Why buy Toshiba, when there’s Dell?
Why buy Mercedes, when there’s VW?
Why buy Nike, when there’s Reebok?
Why buy Lee, when there’s Polo?
Why buy Sprint, when there’s Cingulair?
Why buy Windows, there’s RedHat?
Why buy MAC, when there’s Lindows?
Why buy Newport, when there’s Winston?
Why see a movie, when there’s books?
Why buy Ipod, when there’s Archos?

Because at the end, it’s people’s choice to do what they see fit. I for myself like Ipod and sticking to it. We humans aren’t perfect and you expect a perfect MP3 player? You like Archos, IRiver or whatever, fine…..why are you here at the Ipod groupie site?

Don’t get it, people post negative remarks about Ipod but then again, they hang out at IPOD LOUNGE? Please explain.

Posted by KeepItReal on November 11, 2003 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

> why are you here at the Ipod groupie site

Because Apple groupie chicks give good head.

Posted by head on November 11, 2003 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Ohhhh…..

Where do I sign up? To go please!

Posted by KeepItReal on November 11, 2003 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

“This product brought mp3 players to the masses.”

The masses elected Hitler.

“There may have been other products on the market. I didn’t see ‘em around.”

Don’t try to blame other people for your ignorance! What you’re saying is that until some marketeers tell you that you really need something, for you it doesn’t exist.

This is like all the ipodders saying there is no need for portable hard disk video players. Even though there have been products for a couple of years doing just this.

But when Steve Jobs finally gets around to launching some kind of video ipod, suddenly people like you will be telling the world that Apple invented portable video! As if…

Posted by rosenbaum on November 11, 2003 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

> Buy yourself one o’ those ugly a** pieces of crap. The rest of us will make our own smart purchases.

I read this sort of thing a lot here in IL and it saddens me. I have an iPod but I don’t pretend to rank it against others, or by extension myself against others. It’s a tool, a box for playing music. If and when I see something else that does the better, or fits better, or suits better, then I will change.

But I read lots of stuff mindlessly denigrating other priducts, calling them cheap or nasty or just plain saying out that the people who buy them have no class, or style, or less disposable cash.

Of course, the implication is that by buying an iPod, the people who feel and say these things feel superior. THey are deifning themselves through their purchases, instead of finding value within themselves and that change comes from within, they are lured by advertising into buying a commodity or service that makes them feel (temporarily and shrilly) better about themselves.

This is just sad. Mabopo, I feel sorry for you. One day iPods will no longer be “cool”, and when that day comes will you feel less “cool”? Nothing will have changed in the function of the iPod, so why should you feel different? I know I won’t—as long as it’s useful I’ll continue to use it.

But I do have a suspicion that 10 years from now you’ll have bought into the big story about the cool adult toy of the day, and be dissing people who buy something different from you.

Posted by foolborn on November 11, 2003 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

The IPOD is the only 40GB mp3 player out there!!! the only 40gb!!! keep that in mind!

Posted by richard x on November 12, 2003 at 4:02 AM (PDT)

“The IPOD is the only 40GB mp3 player out there”

Dude, my 2-year-old Archos has an 80GB drive.

80GB!!

80!!

Posted by mine on November 12, 2003 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

99% of the people posting their comments in this site owns an iPod.  So can we all just get along?  So what if somebody says something bad about “it”?  If you enjoy “it” then leave it at that.  I really feel sorry for people who can’t take criticism, cuz they’re usually close minded individuals who always thinks they’re right and in the end never mature or grow from their shortcomings and mistakes.

Posted by Roan on November 12, 2003 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

mine> Dude, my 2-year-old Archos has an 80GB drive.

4 years ago my Maycom merit had an FM tuner and 256mb of flash memory.It’s not much but think about the huge jump between 256mb and 80gb. and that’s in under 2 years.

Granted, the iPod has it’s sleek look and it is the coolest gadget of 2003 according to T3 magazine, but in about 5 months, 40gbs is going to probably be the standard in HD based MP3 players and the newest thing will be the ability to watch streamed TV on them. Even as a long time Windows user, the appeal, and look of the iPod alone made me buy a 40gb model. I know it’ll be out of date by march 2004 or so, it’s not the best one out there and it could be better, but the fact still remains. Most of the problems are software related, something a firmware update could easily fix. The 2 major hardware problems (battery life and HD space) can easily be solved by the time 4g iPods come out. Hell, there’s already a battery for 2G and with HDs getting smaller every month, i wouldn’t be surprised if in a year or so i can stick a 320gb HD into my 3G iPod. Yes, it may have it’s flaws, yes it’s made in Taiwan from components that cost half of what Apple charge us, and yes it will be second place to the newest competitor models but hell, it still looks great, holds a backup of my computer, has the space for all my MP3s to play in my car, AND fits in my shirt pocket. When someone can make an MP3 player that’s smaller and looks a lot better than the iPod, has a few hundred GBs of flash memory and the ability to play videos with any codec on a flexible LCD screen that i can clip to my jacket, then i’ll buy it. till then i’m perfectly happy with this. Everyone here who’s complaining the iPod is a waste of money, don’t buy it, keep waiting. But you’ll have to jump in on the tech market sometime and when you do us “sucker iPod users” will be right there to laugh at you.

Posted by NJ on November 12, 2003 at 9:39 PM (PDT)

> in about 5 months, 40gbs is going to probably be the standard in HD based MP3 players and the newest thing will be the ability to watch streamed TV on them.

That’s an excellent point. THere are two trends here that bear watching.

The first is that “proper” 3G networks will enable sufficient bandwidth to stream MP3/AAC. Suddenly carrying around *all* your media may seem archaic when you could stream it from online or a home server.

The second is that there is a veritable tide of multimedia portables, the first generation came out a couple of years ago, but this XMas every gadget maker has jumped on board… except Apple. They may have to release a video iPod in January but it will be tough to keep their current audio prices high.

Lyra

Archos AV

Archos GMINI

FlashTrax

Vosonic

Sony GigaPocket

Avias MEC

MP3OK Jukebox ET970

GenSoc MJB-3100

Top 10 Multimedia Players

List of Personal Video Players

Posted by reality on November 13, 2003 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

> The 2 major hardware problems (battery life and HD space) can easily be solved by the time 4g iPods come out. Hell, there’s already a battery for 2G

One majopr problem Apple face with the battery is that their choice of the smallest form factor already limits the capacity.

But a more fundamental problem is that the iPod is not an integrated design. Instead, Apple bought the design from PortalPlayer, added the Toshiba drive, added the firewire chips from someone else, and also added a bunch of glue chips. They did this to get to market quickly, but it has cut their margins considerably.

Now, all these disparate systems in one small box are inefficient, both from a software point of view and from an energy efficiencvy point of view.

Disparate systems means the firmware is distributed—indeed Apple outsource the main firmware. Integrating the firmware from the different companies meansd Apple has to be very cautious about upgrades to maintain quality.

Apple could increase the iPod’s energy efficient by 30-60% by designing a custom ASIC to integrate many of the iPod subsystems, but developing ASICs is costly, takes times, and requires investment and foundry time. The iPod began with tiny volumes, and though increased is still very small to consider ASIC development. This takes a long time and carries some risk, because if your ASIC sucks then what do you do?

Larger companies (such as Sony or Toshiba) have the luxury of sharing ASICs across their consumer line and so, though slow to market, their products (when they eventually arrive) will always features significant cost and battery advantages over an unintegrated iPod.

Posted by battery on November 13, 2003 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

yeah! sorry! - I was ill informed, and hadn’t done my research!
I see that there are other larger capacity hard-drive mp3 players out there.
60gb and 80gb.
But I’ve looked them up and they are ugly bricks, compared to the smaller more beautiful ipod - am I not right???
That archos one is RANK! I would embarrassed to use it in a public place it’s so horrendous!
Come on why are you spending time on an ipod site when you know you love them?

Posted by richard x on November 17, 2003 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

Richard, some people are not vain, and do not mind if the equipment they use is “aesthetically pleasing” or not.

Not everone thinks like you do.

Not everyone thinks that the same things look like “bricks” as you do.

And thank goodness, because when you peal away the Apple loyalty and *really* look at the iPod, you’ll see it really isn’t all that nice looking. It actually resembles the sort of aesthetic commonly used on urinals and toilets.

Once you can just see it as a machine, you’ll get on in life.

Posted by Ioa on November 17, 2003 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >