CNET: Five reasons not to buy an iPod | iLounge News

CNET: Five reasons not to buy an iPod

“For the past year, the media has been clamoring about iPod killers on the horizon—new MP3 players with more features, longer battery life, and designs nearly as svelte as the iPod’s. However, this oversimplifies the situation; in truth, while the iPod rocks, it’s not now, nor has it ever been, perfect for everyone.

We too have run our fair share of iPod-centric headlines—for a good reason. With about 1.5 million units sold, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player in the world, and it still makes other players look and feel inelegant in comparison. Don’t get me wrong; it’s still our favorite overall MP3 player. Although everyone can think of reasons why they want an iPod, I’ve decided to use this column to list a few reasons why not to buy one.”

« The Register UK: iTunes is ‘not a money maker’

ZDNet UK: What’s wrong with digital rights management? »

Comments

> I’ve looked them up and they are ugly bricks, compared to the smaller more beautiful ipod

I’ve seen someone else mention this but it seems like one reason there are so many nice skins and cases to choose from is because the iPod’s little white plastic look doesn’t do it for many people.

I know to me it just looks cheap, and I wish it came in brushed aluminum all over.

Posted by techgal on November 17, 2003 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

“That archos one is RANK! I would embarrassed to use it in a public place it’s so horrendous!”

Richard X, not everyone is into displaying their music player publicly. It seems you are. Well done, you like to be seen with this season’s cool gadget. Personally I keep my music player in my bag for protection.

Do you also wear your cell phone prominently displayed on your hip?

While the Archos is not for me, I can see how they are going for that Fisher Price look, and for kids that seems to groove. Besides, the new video Archos (saw it in CompUSSR) is actually pretty darn sexy. Bit large though.

Anyway, read the earlier message from “foolborn” - he/she is on-target when they talk about people picking gadgets to try to say things about themselves.

Have fun Richard showing off your iPod in public. Don’t forget to also listen to it every now and then.

Posted by YurSoVain on November 17, 2003 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

Did I say anything about showing it off??
U people are such weirdoes, honestly!
I just think that when you have an ipod it’s less bulky and awkward. Easy to use, when you’re selecting a song from 9999 others. And aesthetics do matter to me, actually, I like beautiful women, I like beautiful cars, and of course beautiful gadgets. Sorry but that’s just me.
Actually take that back I’m making no apologies for having taste and a brain.

Posted by richard x on November 26, 2003 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

> I just think that when you have an ipod it’s less bulky and awkward.

If size matters most then there is always going to be something smaller just around the corner. The new Rio Karma 30GB is smaller than the iPod, and lighter.

And the new Rio Nitrus uses 1” drives and is *tiny*—like less than half the size of my iPod and weighs around an ounce. You hardly even know it’s there! I saw it in BB and was amazed.

Posted by SizeCounts on November 26, 2003 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

[ U people are such weirdoes, honestly! ]

This is opposed to M people? Or perhaps you identify with J people better than with L people.

[ Did I say anything about showing it off?? ]

I will let you reply to this one: [ I would embarrassed to use it in a public place it’s so horrendous! ]

Wow, looks like you did. That makes you a D person.

[ Being a guy I don’t carry a bag so pockets are usually where I put my cell phone or walkman. ]

You complain about bulk, and then proceed to mention that you jam portable cassette players, cellular phones, and presumably an iPod in your pockets? That makes you an S person. You have bulk problems no matter how large or small your MP3 player may be. Get a purse. That would make you a Q person.

[ Easy to use, when you’re selecting a song from 9999 others. ]

Yes, this has *so* much to do with aesthetics. Bravo!

[ beautiful women, I like beautiful cars, and of course beautiful gadgets. ]

What a lamb. That makes you a B person.

[ ...no apologies for having taste and a brain. ]

You’ve already demonstrated that your taste is suspect to materialistic follower behavioral type, which is nothing to brag about. You have also demonstrated that your brain is decidedly K type. Which means that lucky for you, you don’t get any of this, and are able to live in ignorant bliss.

Once again, bravo!

Posted by G People Are Funny on November 26, 2003 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

Wow!
And you didn’t even mention any other mp3 players.

[You’ve already demonstrated that your taste is suspect to materialistic follower behavioral (incorrect spelling it’s actually behavioural) type, which is nothing to brag about.] Grade A English - where did u go to school? Oxford?

[Once Again Bravo!] - what ever happened to using inverted comas, square brackets are usually just used in Algebra, but you’d probably know even less about that - u idiot.

Posted by richard x on December 1, 2003 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

Heh. Have fun at the bottom. You didn’t respond to a single one of my points. It was evidently more important to point out a spelling error. This done, of course, with your own atrocious form of English usage which finds the abbreviation of a three letter word necessary.

Now go back and respond to the points, not the grammar.

Posted by Losers predictably sink to grammar. on December 1, 2003 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

You started it with your criticism of my use of “U”, instead of “you”.

But not only do u make that mistake u also call yourself by the subject matter of your messages (so annoying) -

“G People Are Funny”
“Losers predictably sink to grammar.” (By the way, in what way was that predictable??)

Can you not grasp the simple idea that u’re meant to put a name in that box not the subject matter???

Nice one, u idiot!

smile

Posted by richard x on December 2, 2003 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

[ So inadvertently u’re after calling yourself a “Loser” as well as me, by “sinking to grammer”. ]

You believe it was a mistake? Interesting. Did you seriously believe that anyone but a loser would still be talking to you? Your pathetic state is only amplified by my every flaw, as only one so flawed as I could ever deem to grace your viral lines of thought with repartee.

Now go back, and answer the retorts, not the form upon which they are written.

Posted by Answer the Questions on December 2, 2003 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

If I’m not mistaken you’re trying to be nice to me.
Or else it’s your good use of the English language that has stunned me?
Either way you’re asking me to answer your retorts, funnily enough I don’t care anymore.

The iPod was the reason I decided to put anything on this blog.
I would like to defend iPods because they are way too cool to knock.
Look at the pathetic attempt that dell came up with(the dj).
Okay it has longer battery life, I still don’t care. It doesn’t have a scroll wheel, it doesn’t have a clicker sound.
It’s not as small. Not as light. Not as easy to use…........blah,blah,blah.

What’s the point? You’re all going to have to make up your own minds anyway.

Last message - out -

Posted by richard x on December 3, 2003 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

“Last message - out -”

Well thank God for that. People like you make me ashamed to own an iPod.

Posted by WhatATool on December 3, 2003 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

See, i’m so dumb I even call mysellf WhatATool!!

Posted by WhatATool on December 4, 2003 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

“See, i’m so dumb”

Richard X you are so cheap you even stoop to pilfering other people’s online monikers. You really are a sad sack.

Posted by RichardXWhatATool on December 4, 2003 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

Just to let anybody visiting this page other than myself and richard x know, that I am a complete #####!

Posted by RichardXWhatATool on December 5, 2003 at 1:34 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4