CNET launches free music download service | iLounge News

CNET launches free music download service

“Online technology company CNET Networks on Monday launched a free digital music service, allowing people to search and download what it said were thousands of songs contributed by independent and unsigned artists. [...]

CNET said it plans to add new technology and community features to its download service, which it intends to be the largest free-music download platform, over the course of the year.”

« Steve Jobs to hold conference call for iTunes Music Store Anniversary

Sonnet announces PodFreq FM Transmitter for iPod »

Comments

This is what I’ve been hoping someone would do for the sake of Indies. This could be the start of a brand new music industry.

Posted by Wolf on April 26, 2004 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

Is this illegal then….

Posted by arsenalmad10 in UK on April 26, 2004 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

This has been around for years!  It was called mp3.com and it had hundreds of thousands of songs by independent bands AND upcoming singles by major label artists (they were meant for streaming only, but semi-tech savy people could download them too).

CNET bought out mp3.com last summer and this is going to be the new version of it (minus the huge library of songs it used to have).  It looks promising, as long as it can get back all the bands it lost when it shutdown for so many months.

Posted by Ryan on April 26, 2004 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

They are just bringing back MP3.com.  That’s where I got a lot of my music from.  Artist can upload songs and I understood they got a fee from MP3.com.

When I went to the site one day it was gone and a message stated that CNET had moved the site and would be making some changes to it and it would be back.  This must be it.  They had a lot of good music before.  I found out about a lot of artist there like, Soulive, The Holland Tunnel Project & Elliot Levine and they use to carry a large variety of genres.

No it’s not illegal.  The artist upload there own music and participate voluntarily.  They also had a message board where you could ask questions and post for hardware, software, music, etc. and a separte message board for the artist and reviews for different tech items along with epinions.

I hope they are at least as good or better now and are carrying some different songs and artist as well as some of the old ones.

Posted by iPodite on April 26, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

I guess I forgot about MP3.com. Last I knew, they had gone way too commercial and mainstream. I hope they get back to focusing on Indies. I wouldn’t be opposed to even 25 to 50 cents downloads for Indie artists so they can actually get some coin for their work. I think most people would rather support the artist than the label anyway.

Posted by Wolf on April 26, 2004 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

Artist = good work deserve good pay
Big Time Record Label = Talentless parasites that live off other people’s talents.

Posted by roach on April 26, 2004 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

Glad to see mp3.com is coming back up again. I’ve gotten almost all of my music from there and http://www.ElectronicScene.com Lot’s of good stuff if you take the time to look around…

Posted by Deamer on April 26, 2004 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

Try Garageband.com…or Vitaminic.com…or…

Posted by The Raven in USA on April 26, 2004 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

MP3.com was good because of the wide selection.  This new service won’t be anywhere near as great unless tons of independent bands get onboard again.  One can only hope it happens.

Posted by people are dumb on April 26, 2004 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

For people into the underground rock scene, I’m sure you’ve heard of PureVolume.com. They pretty much swooped in and stole every who was left high and dry from MP3.com. I don’t see why anyone would want to change again from PureVolume to this new venture, but we’ll see I guess.

Posted by greg on April 26, 2004 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

It’s a start…

Posted by Orb on April 26, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

Yayyyy!! Thousands of talentless bands & singers uploading all their songs for those with way too much time on their hands to filter through to find that one in a million song that’s even listenable. Yayyyy! I am a star! My band is online! Look 15 people dowloaded the recording I made of my wet dream the other night!.

....okay, before you get TOO excited- I am just kidding. Mostly.

Posted by skeptik on April 26, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

That’s what radio stations should do - filter through all the rubbish and play the good stuff, then you could download it if you liked it - trouble is they’re all in bed with the labels

Posted by Steve___ on April 26, 2004 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

Just finished looking around there and they don’t have the volume of music available like they use to.  Very few artist in total but hopfully that will change in the future and this site will get back to were it was or better.  I got a lot of good music from mp3.com that I still have and listen to.

Posted by honeybee1236 on April 26, 2004 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

Well, an Internet download service isn’t going to promote a band to fame overnight. It needs to work in conjunction with hard work and local-to-regional grassroots promotion. But if they can save money from printing CDs, it will give them new possibilities and opportunities.

Posted by Wolf on April 27, 2004 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

I’ve downloaded four 192kb MP3s at speeds of 500 kb/sec…this looks really promising!

Posted by Ryan on April 27, 2004 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

I tried half a dozen in numerous categories and skeptik has it right. Alot of talentless hacks who got a copy of garageband for their birthday. Too bad the real talent can’t be brought to the surface. There was some humour though. A few couples have duets and they reminded me of that Saturday Night Live sketch with the two characters that sing pop songs with a ‘Bacharach’ feel. Sometimes bad is funny.

Posted by Carl on April 27, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

yahoo

Posted by teve on June 25, 2006 at 3:43 PM (PDT)