CNET: Low-tech tools rule in unplugged city | iLounge News

CNET: Low-tech tools rule in unplugged city

“Others walked into dark buildings near Grand Central, blindly, looking for pay phones rather than stand in lines out on the street. People stumbled through darkened hallways using the screens of their iPod digital music players and Treo computer phones as flashlights.”

« No Electricity?  No problem… iPod to the rescue!

Marware CEO Classic 3G Now Shipping »

Comments

its a sad day when all you have for emergency lighting is an iPod. in this day and age you would think they could afford a back up generator. thanks for showing the world our vulnerabilities. your supposed to be the capitol of the world and your stumbling all over each other trying to find your lattes.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on August 15, 2003 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

I was stuck at home without any electricity and all I had were a couple of candles, my PDA, my Mag Light flashlight, and of course my iPod which I killed 2 battery bars just listening to.

Posted by Outrager on August 15, 2003 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

that’s funny. I read a post just yesterday advising ipodders to lead troubled citizens out of the subways using the divine light of their ipods. :) lol

Posted by Wolfman200 on August 15, 2003 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

So the iPod is the torch that will lead us to salvation eh :-P

Posted by IronSerif on August 15, 2003 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

Hey man, the iPod saved me yesterday.  I walked all the way from 66th & Broadway to Brooklyn and the whole time I was listening to my iPod.  I am in shape but the iPod kept me motivated to keep it moving.  Apple is the best!

Posted by PrimalTheory on August 15, 2003 at 11:34 AM (CDT)

Jaguares, why do you actually bother to write here? Seriously. You were not here when it happened. You watched it on TV. Oh wait, didn’t the same thing happen to you a few years ago?

A backup generator? That’s tens of thousands of blocks. And no, the generators were not brought down. It was the lines.

Posted by ZoidbergD on August 15, 2003 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

yea it’s pretty pathetic that these businesses don’t have back up generators. for christ sake, my high school which has 400 students has one.

Posted by torchedlh on August 15, 2003 at 2:06 PM (CDT)

my generator works on this thing called gas, which ran out after 2 hours

Posted by austin on August 15, 2003 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

“Go to the light!!”—All jokes aside-

There are generators, which is why whole streets have power, the problem is many of the lines overloaded and melted away due to the power surge, which is why bush says we need to completely modernize the US power system.

Now, why individual stores didnt have generators is another story.

Posted by Keaner on August 15, 2003 at 2:55 PM (CDT)

By Wolfman200 on Aug 15, 03 9:35 am

Yeah, i posted that….

I didn’t hear about people actually doing it until i read this article just now!
It just occured to me when i thought about how many times i’ve used my ipod to find my car’s keyhole etc…

Cool!

Posted by Aptmunich on August 15, 2003 at 3:17 PM (CDT)

The iPod is low tech?

And what’s high tech? Electric street lamps?

Posted by narvitron on August 15, 2003 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

Palm PDAs have plenty of free utilities called Flashlight and Mirror. All they do is fill the whole screen with either white or black. Looks like these ‘joke’ programs finally had a use.

Posted by Chris Matchett on August 16, 2003 at 2:54 AM (CDT)