CNET names Creative Zen Vision: M ‘Best in Show,’ ‘iPod Killer’ | iLounge News

CNET names Creative Zen Vision: M ‘Best in Show,’ ‘iPod Killer’

In announcing its “Best of CES 2006” award winners, CNET has named Creative’s Zen Vision: M “Best in Show,” its top pick of all of the products shown at the annual consumer electronics convention. Citing the device’s “brighter screen, better battery life, and more features” than the iPod, CNET’s editors suggested that the device was an “iPod killer,” praising its support for multiple video formats and “winning design.”

In a video interview with CNN’s Renay San Miguel, CNET editor Brian Cooley was challenged on the choice of a device so similar to the fifth-generation iPod for an award based in part on innovation. Cooley defended the tech site’s choice of the “little more hefty” Vision: M, saying that “sometimes slimmer and more svelte is not always good for your hand,” and said that CNET’s editors preferred the Vision to the iPod on feel. CNET readers picked Pioneer’s Inno, a truly portable XM Satellite radio receiver and recorder, as the show’s best new product.

« Chrysler announces iPod integration for 2006 models

Pacific Rim debuts Dolphin, Commuter cases »

Comments

That’s pretty lol.

cnet fanboys

Posted by Robototobor on January 8, 2006 at 8:17 PM (CST)

Pete, re my earlier comment about doing a minute’s worth of research while avoid an ample dose of egg being applied to one’s face.

CNET hate anything that Apple has done? All the ipods except for the shuffle have received very high marks and praise to the point that some rabid anti-ipodders have accused them of being on Apple’s payroll. Meanwhile the more evangelical of the Apple cmap accuse them of being on Microsoft’s payroll. I never thought I’d say this but I’m beginning to feel sorry for the guys at CNET. Perhaps if they’re unable to please the extremists in both camps they’re must be doing something right.

Take a look at this:

3 of the 6 top players for 2005 happen to be ipods but apparently, according to you, they hate everything that Apple does…

How do you like your egg Pete? Runny or scrambled? I suspect both would suit you equally well.

Posted by unit on January 8, 2006 at 8:35 PM (CST)

This site is loaded with Apple Fanboys.  Cnet sells out just because the new iPod that WASN’T at the event didn’t get best of show?  It does look like a very good product, and I for on still have faith in Cnet.
iTunes is just about the MOST overrated program EVER.  I really don’t think it is all that special.  ITMS is overrated as well because ALL purchased songs are AAC.  That is like buying a CD that only works in CD players made in 1994.  Videos? Same problem.  Quit acting like iTunes is the holy grail.  It is good, but not as good as it is cracked up to be.

Posted by Jegero on January 8, 2006 at 8:37 PM (CST)

woww.. people are just PISSED on this article =|..srsly.. just relaxx..

Posted by Guta in the 7th lair of hell. on January 8, 2006 at 9:25 PM (CST)

“iTunes is just about the MOST overrated program EVER.”

Compared to what?

Posted by The Raven on January 8, 2006 at 9:40 PM (CST)

Jegero…exactly, I actually find iTunes an annoying prospect of having an iPod.

Posted by Ninus on January 8, 2006 at 10:03 PM (CST)

About this time last year, I was in the market for a new MP3 player.  The main choices I was thinking about were the Creative Zen Touch, and Apple Ipod (and apple ipod mini).  I decided at a cheaper cost, and with a few more features, I decided to try the ZenTouch.  Boy, what a mistake… First off the software that was included was a nightmare to install and work with.  Kudos to Apple for making the ITunes interface so easy to use.  Second, the Zen Touch pad was SO sensitive, I could hardly play any song, and when I did, even a breath on the pad caused it to change the selected tune.  It was SO frustrating, that after a day or so, I decided to return it.  That being said, I do complement Creative with having a relative hassle free customer service, refund was a snap.  I decided to purchase an IPOD mini, and 1 year later, roughly about 70 Itunes downloaded (about half for free with Pespi cap promotion).  Now I recently purchased the 30 GB Ipod with Video, and havent looked back since.

Posted by David Conrado on January 8, 2006 at 10:44 PM (CST)

also, for those curious if they’ll be able to play their videos on the IPOD (without having to but ITUNES videos only, or purchase Quicktime Pro), I found this relatively cheap download (free 14 days trial, 10 dollars to purchase) that converts pretty much everything except REAL player files to the IPOD friendly mp4 format.

Posted by David Conrado on January 8, 2006 at 10:47 PM (CST)

But you dont have to convert videos(most) to put them on the vision m.

If you were talking about people not being able to put videos on the ipod due to lack of formats, you’re very late and there are free programs that work better.

Posted by kevin on January 8, 2006 at 10:55 PM (CST)

Good on you creative,

(I HATE IPODS)

Personally i love all your products and i think that most of the ipod products are really s***house at least creative you know what a good product is before you put it on the market again i congratulate you on another great product.

Posted by James D on January 8, 2006 at 11:10 PM (CST)

Well, Im a owner of a 4gb nano (used to be a Zen Micro owner) and I do respect the products released by Apple and the seer quality put into them however doesnt seem like every generation only marginally improves over the last. Apple only seems to improve little by little.

I give props to Creative for looking into the design of the Vision: M and incoporating features that the end user may like (voice recording without additional accesories and divx support (Apple missed that one). Apple needs to listen to there userbase a little more and adapt a couple policies from Creative such as forum to listen for suggestions or petitions for additional features. Go to creative’s mp3 support forum and you will see what i mean. They have tech designated to answer petition inquiries and update users on the new updates or whether the petition update was successful.

It seems to me, Apple is just updating to increase revenue rather than to be an innovation.

Posted by Shawn M on January 8, 2006 at 11:18 PM (CST)

bobby2k (the guy with the one trackmind) buddy have you actually had a look at the ipod its ugly people only buy them becuase the think it will make them cool at least the creative vision looks good and basically better features than the crappy ipod willl ever have they are basically copying other brands as well.
I’ve had an ipod my self they’re really relly s***i drop mine and they apple tells your better off buying a new one they cost mre to fix then to buy. yeh apple ipods are great.
hey everyone lets join the crowd of all the people who have an ipod and don’t realise the crap until we use them awesome i sooo want one… ahhh no!

and another thing about ipods in ever known any large company that sells headphones eg. creative, sony, sennheiser to just start crackerling because you have them on full volume wow what a great product.

overall ipod suck creative and any other product like sony or iriver are quality i have to qoute James D ‘at least creative you know what a good product is before you put it on the market’

Good Stuff creative hopefully the mindless ipod-fans can finally work out that ipod SUCK

JOIN THE “I HATE IPODS” REVOLUTION

Posted by ohitson on January 8, 2006 at 11:59 PM (CST)

ohitson, you’re comments are no more rationally based than those of bobby2k.

ipods suck is NOT an argument.

I despair of the education system if this is what passed for critical thinking.

Posted by unit on January 9, 2006 at 5:04 AM (CST)

I love this. One article suggests the iPod may very well not be the best, then rabid fanboys go crazy.

Good fun.

My 2c: My H120 > any gen iPod. By far. Not too hard either. I’ll have to check this new Zen out a bit closer now….

Posted by Adam on January 9, 2006 at 6:08 AM (CST)

James D and ohitson, why are you even on this website if you hate iPods so much?

Posted by tom on January 9, 2006 at 6:54 AM (CST)

“I despair of the education”
I totally agree. I don’t know where ohitson was educated but this is totally incoherent babble.
From the postings here it does seem that lack of education/taste typifies the average Creative purchaser/supporterl

Posted by Matt Tilda on January 9, 2006 at 8:51 AM (CST)

This is kinda’ humorous.  I really like my new G5 30GB iPod.  So far, it does everything it is supposed to.  I doubt Apple is afraid of some competition.  Even for me, a geezer, everything went fairly smooth and I’m enjoying all of my music while looking at some family pics.  Isn’t that the idea?  Jimmy Buffett rocks!

BobA5835

Posted by BobA5835 on January 9, 2006 at 8:53 AM (CST)

hehe, as a iriver and fifth generation iPod owner I must admit the plastic does look pretty cheap for what its price is.:)

If the fifth generation iPods were not out I would of probably gone for the X5L because its wonders of metal casing (why cant they all do this?) but for me I chose the iPod because I recently setup a home network that allows me to rip my CD’s on my PC with EAC and then transfer them to my Power Mac G4 to be used as my music hub.

Another benefiting factor was the accessories that my iriver never had and sadly to be honest, never will. I have had past experience with Creative players and hasnt been any good to be honest (software being main case).

Its also funny that a certain brand focused group has been roaring about the Vision M being a iPod killer with extra movie time and ‘better’ screen and yadda yadda ya, when they always used to say only audio counted before…oh the sweet irony, which leads me to saying that this helps Apple because the others want be like them and as long as they ‘admire’ the iPod and make their devices molded around Apple devices, This always leads to no innovation(irony for Apple). Oh well, hope the new iriver PMC can kick some ass.

Posted by Doc Evils on January 9, 2006 at 9:42 AM (CST)

“I despair of the education

Posted by unit on January 9, 2006 at 9:53 AM (CST)

Heard on iLounge: “C/Net is a MS mouthpiece!”

Heard on DAPReview.net: “C/Net is an Apple mouthpiece!”

Ahh! Two men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong!

Posted by Mark on January 9, 2006 at 9:53 AM (CST)

Page 3 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >