CNET: RIAA warns individual swappers | iLounge News

CNET: RIAA warns individual swappers

“The Recording Industry Association of America said it has sent cease-and-desist letters to five people whom it suspects of illegally offering massive amounts of copyrighted music through peer-to-peer networks.

The RIAA learned of the swappers’ identities after a protracted legal battle with Verizon Communications, which unsuccessfully fought attempts to unmask its subscribers, citing concerns about privacy and legal liability.”

« NYT: What Albums Join Together, Everyone Tears Asunder

CNN: Music industry wins approval of 871 subpoenas »

Comments

HAHAHA

Posted by collie on July 19, 2003 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

Make sure you use the new Kazaa, it blocks your IP address.  No IP address: No threat from these lawsuits.

Posted by AJ on July 19, 2003 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

disable file sharing…
no worries.

Posted by foo00 on July 19, 2003 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

But if everybody blocked file sharing, then the whole idea would be useless. Plus, the RIAA could give two s**ts about the music I (very rarely) download.

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 19, 2003 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

They found me. I don’t know how, but they found me!

Posted by Doc on July 19, 2003 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

You See People !

The Record Companies are LOOSING sooooo much money on P2P networks ...... that they have to now sue over 1 Million people.

Those poor poor Record Company People are going to faint when they get their legal bill !!!  wink

Posted by jsmoove7 on July 19, 2003 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Faint,eh? Good. They have gone so far over the top,it would be hysterically hilarious if it weren’t so gosh darn pathetic. But then again…

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on July 20, 2003 at 1:36 AM (PDT)

I told my friend last night that I’d like to have many copies of a song I’d make but named some record label music and when they sue me I’d win and then sue for damages of around 68,000 so that I could give back the money to those four college kids that had to pay around 12k-17k dollars…..I mean it’d be fine with me if they did it because they were really losing money but they’re doing it just to punish people and it’s overkill….it’s not even close to the cost of the music people have downloaded. I doubt those people had $12k of music. Hell, the RIAA isn’t even selling the stuff they’re just a stupid lobbyist group. Not only that but the fact that they’re “losing” money is their own fault. The same percentage of their loss is around the same percentage of increase in CD prices when you factor in the fact that we’re in a recession. Recession means that the economy is at a low point and that people are less likely to spend money. Not only that but the first thing people cut out in a recession is entertainment. Music is entertainment. So shut up RIAA, you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. You’re not even the industry for chrissake, and yes that’s how you spell that.

Posted by zync on July 20, 2003 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

Sorry if that’s hard to understand in the beginning parts of it, it’s late and I’m tired….

Posted by zync on July 20, 2003 at 10:08 PM (PDT)

Oh and BTW, to use Verizon against it’s customers is an ####### thing to do because the people aren’t only going to hate the RIAA but also Verizon, and it’s not even Verizon’s fault! Oh yeah, Earthlink was an ####### too because it let out info just because Verizon couldn’t (or didn’t want to?) fight the RIAA. That was just as wrong as the RIAA (or ######## as I call them) breaking Verizon’s confidentiality with its customers.

Posted by zync on July 20, 2003 at 10:14 PM (PDT)