Coinstar now offering iTunes Music Store gift cards | iLounge News

Coinstar now offering iTunes Music Store gift cards

image

Coinstar has expanded its Coin to Card service to include iTunes Music Store gift cards. As part of the service, consumers can now convert their loose change into an iTunes gift card or eCertificate at select Coinstar Centers. What’s more, there’s no coin-counting fee when exchanging coins for a gift card (standard Coins to Cash transactions have an 8.9% processing fee). Coinstar says that activated gift cards are dispensed on the spot from the Coinstar machine and can be used right away. Other companies partnering with the company on gift cards and eCertificates include Amazon.com, Virgin Digital, Starbucks, and more.

« Sonos announces $999 multi-room digital music system

Mix: Disney/ABC, Apple earnings, Vending machines, NotPods »

Comments

No stupid 9% fee! Wow, Coinstar just went from laughably horrible to great. Time to haul my giant jug of pennies down to the supermarket.

Posted by Ort on April 10, 2006 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

i love this idea, no more useless pennies

Posted by james on April 10, 2006 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

Do you have to have an exact amount, or will they make one at the spot just for you?

Posted by Adam Cecil on April 10, 2006 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

I’ve been cashing my coins in for Amazon certificates for months.  Sure beats the heck out of rolling coins!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 10, 2006 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

the last time I went to a coinstar machine, it did not have the giftcard option at all.  Is this option only on newer machines?

Posted by Chibithulhu on April 11, 2006 at 5:36 AM (CDT)

The machines I use have a dial-up modem in them, so they can connect with Amazon and authorize the certificate.  It prints the number on a receipt.  I imagine the iTunes certificate would be done the same way.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 11, 2006 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

Coinstar’s website allows you to find which locations closest to you have Coinstar machines, and lists which services each location provides.  The Big Y (supermarket) where I work offers the iTunes Music service as well as many other ecertificates.

Posted by Nick on April 11, 2006 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

this is pretty nice!!!! no 8.9% fee and a gift certificate to the places that i’d shop at anyways!!!!

Posted by Danny on April 11, 2006 at 12:42 PM (CDT)

so why would I want to have an iTunes card instead of cash from the coinstar machine??  I could see if they gave you a better deal for gift cards than cash.  -and how is $1 for every $10 cashed in a great deal??? I’d say it’s a fair deal at best, but not a great deal as many of the commentors above me have posted.

Posted by eR1c on April 11, 2006 at 9:26 PM (CDT)

-ooops- didn’t read the article correctly… the fee is waived if you opt for the iTunes card!! (sorry) ;)
yes, it’s a great deal!!

Posted by eR1c on April 11, 2006 at 9:27 PM (CDT)

sweet! i just used 764 of my pennies @coinstar and got back 6.96 in cash. next time i gettng me some tv shows on itunes.
im going a change hunt so i can support my itunes habbit lol
when is this being implemented?

Posted by Ru on April 13, 2006 at 8:01 PM (CDT)

never mind.. i just found one.

Posted by ru on April 13, 2006 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

If you live on the east coast (NJ, NY, PA, DE, CT, MD, VA, DC, FL), there may be a Commerce Bank near you. Their coin-change machines are free. Yes, I bank with them.

Posted by Moeskido on April 17, 2006 at 11:56 AM (CDT)