College Students: What’s on Your iPod? | iLounge News

College Students: What’s on Your iPod?

The New York Times’ Education Life section is working on a mini-guide for incoming freshman at various college campuses and has asked iLounge to assist in reaching out to college students with iPods. The New York Times is compiling a list of iPod “must-have” tunes across various college campuses across the country. Based on your experiences, the paper wants to know: “What is the ONE song or group/artist that everyone at your college has on his or her iPod?”

Editor’s note: This is an authentic request for assistance by The New York Times.

« What does the “i” in iPod stand for?

USA Network launches iPod, iTunes contest »

Comments

What’s the point of this article?

College students are the most diverse group of music listeners out there…  There’s not going to be any discernable results out of this outside of genre…

Posted by ajservo on June 1, 2004 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

Um…...no mention of the name of the newspaper, what they are publishing the information….Give out my email address, why?  Please sir, send me more spam…....

I believe iTunes has a list of the top songs downloaded….I would think thats what ” the kids” are listening to these days.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on June 1, 2004 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

Well, the blurb says its NYTimes, schaaking, although since the email address is an AOL (not a nytimes.com) I’m more than a little suspicious of it.

Posted by Druid on June 1, 2004 at 1:05 PM (CDT)

True Druid.  Sorry, I read over that.  A paper like the NY Times can put a link on their website, I would think.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on June 1, 2004 at 1:10 PM (CDT)

I see no point.  I know that perhaps 70% of the rest of the people at my college NEVER listen to the kind of music I do (furthermore, they probably don’t even know the artists..)  Why should the rest of the country be different?

Seriously, this is just silly.

Posted by Cameron on June 1, 2004 at 1:18 PM (CDT)

MxPx all the way.

Posted by Chris D. on June 1, 2004 at 1:25 PM (CDT)

There’s this little song called “Hey Ya” that I think might catch on.

Posted by Ryan on June 1, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

You folks are a tad bit paranoid.
Druid,  there’s a thing called freelance.  Heard of it?  Get over yourselves.

Posted by Jason on June 1, 2004 at 2:05 PM (CDT)

Chris D., MxPx is worth it just for their cover of Barbie girl.

Jason, yeah there’s a thing called freelance, but given my personal work with The Miami Herald, you can get email addresses from a paper for an article like this.  Besides, there are plenty of on-staff writers at NYTimes that would do this sort of thing, so I dont think its innapropriate to doubt an AOL address.

Besides, what person in their right mind would use an AOL address for a public email like that?  Its simply bad business sense.

Posted by Druid on June 1, 2004 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

One example of the writer’s previous work for The New York Times can be seen at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00A11FB385A0C718DDDA80894DB404482

Regarding the advisability of using an AOL address versus an internal address, as a long-time freelance writer, I have never asked for an internal address from my editors or publishers, primarily because the thought of having to check five different accounts for five different publications never appealed to me. This was as much the case for the piece I wrote for The New York Times as for any of the other publications I’ve written for.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on June 1, 2004 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

o snap ...you tell um az dude!!!!!(aka jeremy)

Posted by rivlinm on June 1, 2004 at 3:45 PM (CDT)

Probably Usher’s “Yeah!”

Posted by KPSHAH316 on June 1, 2004 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

“Chris D., MxPx is worth it just for their cover of Barbie girl.”

MxPx never covered “Barbie Girl.”  It sounds like MxPx, and is often labeled as such on various P2P networks, but it’s actually by Homegrown.

Posted by people are dumb on June 1, 2004 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

Thanks, but AZdude’s actually Jerrod, a great iPodlounge contributor. I don’t use a nickname, and wouldn’t want to steal credit for all his great deeds. :-)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on June 1, 2004 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

Druid: its not mxpx that does the barbie girl remake, its ‘home grown’ that does that one. totally different band.  check out ‘that’s business’

Posted by wes on June 1, 2004 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

MXPX are really good live! I saw them when they were on tour with Simple Plan and Sugarcult (I caught Sugarcult’s drumstick!)

lol Shouldn’t we get back on topic?

Posted by Mike on June 1, 2004 at 6:24 PM (CDT)

What’s on college iPods? Rap. Izzle. Hardly music.

Posted by Sam on June 1, 2004 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

Mary Prankster!

Posted by Bander on June 1, 2004 at 8:42 PM (CDT)

I’m pretty sure I don’t listen to any of the same music as my peers.

I’d have The Blood Brothers, Refused, or a Coltrane track on that list, though :)

Posted by Bobo on June 1, 2004 at 11:06 PM (CDT)

I would suggest the FREE iTune of the week. Why? Because they’re very diverse and usually at least alright… and if it

Posted by Jody on June 1, 2004 at 11:43 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >