College Students: What’s on Your iPod? | iLounge News

College Students: What’s on Your iPod?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 1, 2004
News Categories: iPod

The New York Times’ Education Life section is working on a mini-guide for incoming freshman at various college campuses and has asked iLounge to assist in reaching out to college students with iPods. The New York Times is compiling a list of iPod “must-have” tunes across various college campuses across the country. Based on your experiences, the paper wants to know: “What is the ONE song or group/artist that everyone at your college has on his or her iPod?”

Editor’s note: This is an authentic request for assistance by The New York Times.

« What does the “i” in iPod stand for?

USA Network launches iPod, iTunes contest »

Comments

Kanye West, DJ Dangermouse’s Grey Album, Swollen Members, Non-Phixion, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker…
Although probably nobody but me and my buds would have all of this at my school. (U of MN)

Posted by Sensei on June 1, 2004 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

Our proffesors encode all their lectures and syllabi in mp3 as well as some of their text so we can listen to them anytime. For our current affairs classes NPR programs are a most download. Of course for english lit have about 20 books on my ipod as well as a few for art class and a couple history books. Can’t wait till more college textbooks or supplemental material will be available for the ipod. To bad schools can’t upload materials to itunes and allow student to download them for 25 to 50 cents. My get more colleges to accept the ipod and they can make a couple bucks off it as well.

Posted by Rachel84 on June 2, 2004 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

I don’t know about all of their covers, but they did do an excellent punk cover of Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ‘69”.  My fave MxPx songs: Well Adjusted, Kings of Hollywood, Responsibility, Punk Rawk Show (10 years running version), GSF, Everything Sucks, On The Outs, Move To Bremerton, and Play It Loud.

Posted by Chris D. on June 2, 2004 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

how about “Weird Al” Yankovic’s

A Complicated Song (Parody of Complicated By Avril Lavigne)
or
Another One Rides The Bus

Posted by BIGP in Texas on June 2, 2004 at 6:00 AM (PDT)

sensei, i pretty much have all those albums. The DJ DangerMouse Grey Album is a classic, it is an absolute must. It’s one of my favourite albums of all time and I dont usually like jay-z or that type of hip-hop that much.

Posted by boo on June 2, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

Sam you are a fool for making a huge assumption.  Sounds like you never made it to college.

You know what happens you make an assumption?  It makes an ### out of u and mption.

Posted by '//illis on June 2, 2004 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

‘I’m Your Handy’ Man by Del Shannon rocks da house.

Posted by Ned on June 2, 2004 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

I work at a college (professor/staff)....and the “kids” come into my office and hear my iPod bumpin everything from Kanye, Dilated Peoples, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, El Debarge (pre-Snoop and DJ Quik) and much Coltrane. Their iPods are quite diverse as well…can’t just pick one essential song. Another cool bit tho…sometimes I’ll swap iPods with one of my students and dig through their playlists to see what’s on their musical radar.

Posted by Voodoo on June 2, 2004 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

everybody listens to the reason by hoobastank. its a good song and gets stuck in everyones head.

Posted by brandon on June 3, 2004 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Audible.com has some great stuff.  If I need to read a book for class, I first see if I can download it off their website.  Instead of having to read it at night, I just listen to it in the gym or while I’m running errands.  They also have pretty good books that I listen to for pleasure.  I just finished the Al Franken book.  I was cracking up the whole time he ripped on Anne Coulter.

Posted by Steve K in Westport, CT/Pittsburgh, PA on June 3, 2004 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

everybody has Hey Ya by Outkast.

Posted by eth. on June 4, 2004 at 3:00 AM (PDT)

good stuff.
sadly when i was in college the answer would have been Humble Pie and Yes Fragile (which indicates my ancientness) now i have mostly stew, nellie mckay, air, elvis costello, clash, coltrane, blackeyed peas, phish, nick drake, pere ubu, stooges, public enemy, cure, dr john, randy newman, jam, richard thompson, maktub, morning jacket, pogues, son volt… stuff like that.

Posted by alanth on June 4, 2004 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

i’m a college student who doesn’t have hoobastank or hey ya.
Every college student around including myself has Dave Matthews on their ipod. Dave Matthews, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Cat Stevens, BB King and Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson are must haves on any ipod.

Posted by stefan on June 5, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2