Collins rolls out Danglet Strap for iPod and iPhone | iLounge News

Collins rolls out Danglet Strap for iPod and iPhone

image

Collins America has introduced its new Danglet Wrist & Neck Strap for iPod and iPhone. The Danglet works by plugging into the device’s Dock Connector port, snapping into place with two stainless steel hooking clips. It features an internal stainless steel frame to provide an all-metal mounting hole for the included seven-inch nylon wrist strap and 17-inch nylon neck strap. Available for delivery to the U.S., Canada, and EU countries, the Danglet sells for $15.

« SnapMyLife launching partnership with Travel Channel’s ‘No Reservations’

Rock band releases multi-album iPhone app for $3 »

Comments

In Japan, folks often wear their cell phones on neck straps; it’s very convenient.  When the phone rings, it’s right there.  No need to forage for it in your pocket or backpack.  But here in America, it just looks dorkey.  Or am I wrong?

Posted by JackNH on February 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM (CST)

To me that looks like an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn’t trust that.

Posted by Cristina on February 20, 2009 at 1:11 PM (CST)

I also saw when traveling in France that wearing phones was common, esp when it is also your music player. Another advantage, I think, is it is harder to lose/steal than from a pocket or purse/backpack (says the guy who was pickpocketed on the Metro). I only wonder if the hooks are strong enough to hold the iPhone/iPod Touch firmly and if any damage is done to the dock connector.

Posted by madbard on February 20, 2009 at 1:20 PM (CST)

The iPhone seems kind of big to dangle from a lanyard, plus if something gets snagged I’d hate to see a ruined port.
It’s a cool idea, but maybe for nothing bigger then the Nano.

Posted by asdfasdf on February 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM (CST)

You know everyone wear’s a phone, NOTE the sidekick that’s one and I see alot of people doing it !!!

Posted by Darkknight on February 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM (CST)

Ouch. Docking port connectors were not intended for that kind of abuse.

Posted by m.s. on February 23, 2009 at 7:22 AM (CST)

Having been inside of a few iPods, the frame of the dock connector is all metal, has crisp bends (making it resistant to folding up on itself), and provides a good bearing surface against the inside of the case. If this adapter fully “fills” the opening (so it can’t collapse) and has strong metal clips, then i think it could be formidably secure. I keep my iPhone in my pocket, but this has my attention for “swimsuit” weather.

Posted by WhiteFang on February 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM (CST)

I’m picking one up, so that if someone ever again tries to steal my (replacement for the last stolen) phone by swiping it off my belt (as I sometimes wore it) or it tries to fall out of a pocket or purse, this strap (looped around the purse strap, a belt loop or belt) will make that harder. Call it a backup if you will—I know the dock connector is strong, but I wouldn’t use it as a neck strap, but as a bit of ‘insurance’ on another method of carrying the phone.

Posted by Buran on February 23, 2009 at 12:24 PM (CST)

Okay, despite all the warnings, I went and bought this.  Impressions?  About as “sturdy” as you can expect from something made in China.  Fits snugly into the dock connector.  Conclusion?  if you’re gonna this, wait til you can get it for five bucks.

Posted by JackNH on February 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM (CST)

iPods are made in china. iPhones are made in china. I’m going to wait to see some reviews or wait till I can see it in a store, but I like the idea and plan to take a hard look at it.

Posted by Mike on March 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM (CST)

I think it looks very cool.

waiting for a good review….

Posted by iDirk on August 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

i bought this when it came out. works when it…works.
came apart numerous times, i finally lost a piece, so now it’s useless.

if it had been built to stay together, it’s a great idea (i should add, i use mine only at home; not crazy about running around on the street with something that falls apart)...

Posted by floyd f on January 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM (CST)

UPDATE: i called the manufacturer after i posted the above, and they offered to send me a replacement immediately, and suggested that my ‘danglet’ was defective.

will report back; if the new one is better, will be very happy..!

Posted by floyd f on January 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM (CST)

UPDATE2: got the new ‘danglet’ yesterday, been using it, and no problems. solid, sturdy, and fits the ipod touch beautifully.
it’s great to have the ipod around my neck, and tilting it up to work with is great, as it’s RIGHT-SIDE UP.

am happy with it, and recommend it!

Posted by floyd f on January 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM (CST)