ColorWare now offering custom colored iPhones | iLounge News

ColorWare now offering custom colored iPhones

image

ColorWare is now offering its custom color service for the iPhone. Coloring can be done on a previously purchased iPhone that gets sent to ColorWare, or customers can purchase an iPhone pre-colored, directly from the company. 29 different colors are available, and can be mixed on the phone — the iPhone’s back, bottom, frame, home button, logo, earbuds, and dock can all be colored. Pricing is set at $149 for coloring of an already-purchased iPhone, $649 for a ColorWare Custom 4GB iPhone, and $749 for an 8GB model.

« OtterBox working on iPhone case

Apple patent aims to use Wi-Fi iPod as remote »

Comments

I know Colorware isn’t ever cheap, but $149 is definitely a bit extreme for them to charge for an iPhone.  There isn’t even much there to paint besides the back of it.

Posted by RC on July 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I stopped by Home Depot the other day - one small can of Krylon, some masking tape, & we’re all set thanks wink

Posted by mwilgar on July 19, 2007 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

Now THAT is the kind of look I’ld have thought Apple would go with from the start. (the black one on their site, specifically).
Simple. Elegant. Classy.

Posted by MirandaKali in D.C. on July 19, 2007 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

I’m going to agree with RC on this one. No shocker that it’s pricey, but given the amount of paintable surface on the device you would think more along the lines of $75-$100.

It’s only $149 for the device itself anyway. Add the dock and the earbuds and you pay another chunk of cash.

Great idea, and I’m sure some people will eat it up, but it ain’t for me.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

This is a high gloss finish - no can of krylon could even come close. period. And let’s not forget that you’re getting a warranty included in that price.

Editor’s Note: This post has been confirmed to be from a Colorware PC employee.

Posted by Mike on July 19, 2007 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

that one fifty is just for the back color nothing else all the other spots cost extra.

Posted by BIGP in Texas on July 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

Great Idea, it brings a fresh and clean look. I think apple thought about this already, just think about it for a minute.

the case is silver so apple must played around with color mix already, at least on of their designer done that and apple picked the idea up but might wanted to save this for an upgrade which would maybe come around december.

lets see how apple will come back since someone came out with this combination.

the price? yes it is way to high, $75 max is the top.!!! do they think just because people buy this IPhone for 600 bucks that people will jump like ants on sugar on a a 149deal. heck no,...

Posted by Dennis on July 19, 2007 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

I think it’s an awesome idea. I looked at their iPod video page, and I saw one that matched my school’s colors. I thought, if I send in my video and get that combination,the principal will go crazy because of my school spirit!

Posted by Chris on July 20, 2007 at 4:19 AM (PDT)

Love the idea, but…

As someone who is on her 4th iPod (thank you applecare!), and I am a gentle, careful user (all my iPods are protected by a ShieldZone full body shield), I would hate to lay out an additional 150 for this process only to have the phone need to be replaced for some reason. I think that when and if I do go for an iPhone, I’ll stick to cases for my personalization - ones that can be removed and put on the warranty replacement.

Still, very cool.

Posted by Susan on July 20, 2007 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

while i think the price is ridiculous, colorware does top notch work. i had my old 40gb 4g ipod painted ‘carbon black’ a few years ago (before there were black ipods) and they did an excellent job. i think it was $60 or something back then which was more reasonable.
there are probably still pictures in the archives of the forums somewhere.

cool, but not for $150.

Posted by mdwsta4 on July 20, 2007 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

Mike = Colorware rep

Posted by A on July 20, 2007 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

FINALLY! I love the Blush & Cotton Candy colors. I asked them if they’d be offering customized iPhones before it came out and they said they’d have to see if they could do it. I wanted to get one already painted, but I couldn’t wait! Now I have to send mine in. :(

Posted by Starli on July 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

is there any way to get this without the ColorWare logo on it??? that’s the only thing stopping me from getting it.

Posted by EM on July 21, 2007 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

The epitome of conspicuous consumption!

Posted by Ralph Davis on July 22, 2007 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

Ralph, nice vocabulary

Posted by Kurt on July 22, 2007 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

Actually, paying a lot for a coloration service is the OPPOSITE of consumption.  Nothing new is being acquired (though I assume this service is relatively high waste, anyway).

I personally don’t have a need for this, but if having a blue phone makes you happy, by all means do it.  It’s only money.

Posted by dasmb on July 23, 2007 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

*sigh*

Well, a fool and his money are lucky to get together in the first place….

Posted by Ace on July 23, 2007 at 8:36 PM (PDT)