ColorWave offers custom painting for iPods and more | iLounge News

ColorWave offers custom painting for iPods and more

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 1, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

The Screensaver’s Yoshi DeHerrera has a review of ColorWares custom painting service for PCs, iBooks, PowerBooks, and iPods. Also coming soon is custom painting for G5 desktops. You can watch the ScreenSavers at 7 p.m. and tomorrow at 12 a.m. and 8 a.m. Eastern.

“The iPod is painted without taking it apart. This means the warranty is not affected. Considering how clean the job is, I thought the iPod was taken apart and painted. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong. The paint quality is the kind most people would be happy to have on their car.”

« Jobs: iPod’s Rivals ‘Don’t Get It’

iPod & iTunes Tops Prophet’s List of 2003 Branding Hits »

Comments

pictures maybe?

Posted by Ryan Timmons on December 1, 2003 at 4:33 PM (PDT)

Oh…didnt figure you would post news about this after I told you.  I also posted something about this in the iPod General Forum.  Hopefully TechTV will upload a video clip of the episode like they do sometimes.

Posted by Twinattack on December 1, 2003 at 4:36 PM (PDT)

Of course I would post it here… news belongs on the front page wink Thanks for the news.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 1, 2003 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

if you click on ‘more info’ -
then click on the colorwave link in the story -
then click on accesories -

you can see pics of ipods in different colors.  they look nice, but I don’t think I’d ever do that unless I could see a finished product in person.

even then, not sure I’d want to part with my classic white…call me old fashioned…

Posted by sean on December 1, 2003 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

the black one looks dead sexy smile

Posted by noname in Ottawa on December 1, 2003 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

New colored iPods here: (These are the best pics)

Already have an iPod - $49 http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/customize.aspx?configid=501

Posted by gilatrout on December 2, 2003 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

I just can’t believe the silly crap that people are willing to spend their money on. I know it’s a matter of personal taste, but this is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen for the Ipod. Even worse than that gold dock cover. Well, maybe not. $50 will cover a decent dinner with your significant other. Oops, that’s right, most of the geeks who pay $50 to get their Ipod painted only have their left hand…

Posted by Mark on December 2, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Hmm. Too bad they don’t paint the buttons, too. I’d love one in all black with the glowing red, like the picture on the ipod box.

As for the troll… you’re a twit. Grow up.

Posted by JC on December 2, 2003 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Yeah, the white buttons suck… but if they painted those, you couldn’t read the buttons.

I use my right hand, thank you.

Posted by monkedsel on December 2, 2003 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

GET A LIFE DON"T WASTE %) DOLLARS ON A COVER FOR UR IPOD THAT U WILL SCRATCH IN A DAY SPEND IT ON UR GIRL OR ON A GIRL ON THE STREET

Posted by Dump @sses on December 4, 2003 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

Mark,

You need to chill out.  Why is it stupid to customize your Ipod, to make it unique?  It’s not stupid to customize your computer, but it’s stupid to customize a device that you value?  Whatever.  And trust me, this is not EVEN comparable to that stupid gold dock.  Are you upset because you don’t have $50 to spend?  You’ve got too much anger.  Join a gym.

*************

And Dump,

Yeah, great advice.  Get a girl on the street.  Is that the only way you can get a girl?  Why don’t you get a life and find something constructive to add.

*************

There’s nothing saying it’ll scratch, especially if you keep it in a case and take care of it, instead of tossing it around like a freakin hockey puck like a retard.  At least customizing it would make it stand out a bit from all the boring, stale, clinic-colored white Ipods out there.  Dare to be different.

Posted by ZA on December 5, 2003 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

When they paint it does do they color just the front or the whole thing?  I have my name engraved in mine and i don’t want them to cover it up…

Posted by HiTMaN on April 20, 2004 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

They don’t cover the whole thing…why get rid of the beauitful chrome on the back! I also wish they would pain the buttons but then you wouldn’t be able to read them (not like all of us know which button does what or anyhting) I think next week I am going to send my pod in to get it painted..still decided between Ferrari and Candy Apple

Posted by Derek K in Ashland, WI on August 16, 2004 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

if i pick black, with it be the same black as the retail one?

Posted by komradz on June 9, 2006 at 11:16 PM (PDT)