CompactFlash reader for iPod? | iLounge News

CompactFlash reader for iPod?

O’Reilly has posted an interview with Bernard Leach, the first developer to successfully port Linux onto the iPod. In the interview Leach mentions his latest project - trying to get a CompactFlash reader to download digital photos to his iPod.

“Just recently, thanks to the guys at SiK.com, I got the hardware together to test connecting a CompactFlash reader to the iPod. So far, I’ve only had limited success, but it’s getting there. Once I get that working, I plan to write a small application that will let me copy digital images from CompactFlash cards to the iPod.”

« Dr. Mac: How The iPod & iTunes Changed My Life

ZDNet: Should a Windows user buy an iPod? »

Comments

Awesome!  I can’t wait.  I shoot alot of digital pictures and hate carying flash cards. But I always have my iPod with me.  Will we need a special type of connector to use your application?

Posted by Ketan Shah on September 26, 2003 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

Hopefully, if he’s successful, the device won’t be limited to CF. There are a lot of Sony users out there that could use such a device for their Memory Sticks.

Well, I guess one could just use an adapter.

Posted by Rich in Rhode Island, USA on September 26, 2003 at 4:21 AM (PDT)

Why bother hacking a low-end audio device like an iPod?

The RCA Lyra and the ArchosAV both have CompactFlash slots *built-in*, and unlike the iPod they *display* your CF contents as either images or video.

RCA Lyra

Archos AV
“Calling the Archos AV320 an iPod on steroids is more than an understatement simply because the iPod is not yet in this class. Word is an iPod mediabox is in the works, but until that happens it is the iPod that aspires to be the Archos AV320.”

Posted by RCALyra on September 26, 2003 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

Nerd

Posted by Some Dork on September 26, 2003 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

maybe because the iPod is less than an inch thin? for its size, the iPod is awesome.

Posted by Alex Stapleton on September 26, 2003 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

———————
———————

Yeah but for this to work with an old iPod you’re gonna be carrying that iPod, a camera, and a card reader. That’s a lot of gadgets. How many pockets do you have? Not to mention that with all those wires your gonna look a Borg.

And with all that you *still* can’t view the images or video on the iPod screen, or output them to a projector or TV.

My ArchosAV is 1.5 inches thick, and has a still/video camera built-in, a CF slot, and a stunning full-color screen occupying fully 80% of the device area.

And I gather the RCA Lyra also does video and CF slots (no camera though), and it’s also less than an inch wide!

Posted by ArchosAV on September 26, 2003 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

ArchosAV, why do you bother posting here? The iPod is totally different to an ArchosAV or RCA Lyra. I really don’t understand why you are trying to sell/promote them here. I will never buy either of those gadgets as I have no need for them and probably never will.

Now, back to the original idea of this post! The CompactFlash reader sounds great! Honestly, Apple should hire this guy - he could enhance the iPod so much more if he knew all about the inner workings of it.

Posted by cozzie on September 26, 2003 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

Please forgive my missionary zealotry but I languished in the Apple audio-only no recording ghetto for so long, from iPod G1 to G3, then realised Apple’s locked-in hardware was way overpriced, and made me a consumer and not a producer.

So now I have a recording mp3 player and a recording video player. No longer am I passivley locked to iTunes but I can make my own mixes, videos, and so on and upload them to my friends.

I think Apple are trapped by their size. To play nice with their record company buds they strip the iPod of all the useful production and mixing abilities, add DRM, then sell it falsley as promoting freedom. When in fact Apple are alla aboutr the producuction of passivity and anomie to make perfect consumers.

Take the red pill. Then think about why a $400 iPod audio only dsevice doesn’t already have CF built in?!??!? You can get CF slots on $50 DVD players, $100 cameras, and $200 mp3 players these days!

Posted by ArchosAV on September 27, 2003 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

about time.

Posted by steve jobs on September 27, 2003 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

the iPod has no DRM. you dont HAVE to use iTunes there are loads of alternatives. Most digital cameras function as CF readers anyway, the iPod is a device for lsitening to audio. not for video, or for recording. If it did that, it would be a differnt product. the iPod is an excellent replacement to the walkman/minidisc when it comes to LISTENING to music. it has never pretended to do anything else but that so it’s no reason to slag it off.

the mistake is not the iPods, it is yours for ever thinking the iPod was what YOU wanted. now take your zealtory somewhere else.

Posted by Alex Stapleton on September 28, 2003 at 3:35 AM (PDT)

What is AAC but DRM with new initials?

Apple has always tried to make the iPod a read-only, unidirectional device.

Witness the amount of add-on devices in the market to add featyures such as 2-way synch with PCs and Macs, FM broadcasting, and upload. These add-ons happen in spite of Apple, not because of them

iPod is a closed box. Personally I prefer my devices open-source and free, such as Neuros and Archos. They mount on my desktop transparently and if I don’t like their firmware, I can replace it with better routines.

The Linux port onto iPod has potential though…

Posted by AAC-DRM on September 28, 2003 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

Can someone tell me why this idea is appealing for an iPod owner with a digital camera?  How many pictures do you shoot that you need to copy them to the iPod where you can’t even view them?

Posted by chug100 on September 29, 2003 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

Well I for one can’t wait for this to be available… I do a lot of traveling and have a great deal of trouble finding an internet cafe which will let me upload my photos, try to save them to an internet site, let alone burn them to cd. Even though the price of cf cards are coming down, I would be rapt if I could simply pull my full card out of my camera, plug it into my iPod, rip the photos, and put it back in my camera. All in a couple of minutes. A hell of a lot better than constantly going through your photos and deleting the ‘worst’ ones. Bring it on, I’ll buy one.

Posted by dicko on September 29, 2003 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

Fantastic!  I would love to “dump” images I shoot on my Canon S400 on to my 30GB Ipod… That way I could view them when I was back at the lab or office.

I will buy one if it is a quick 123 thing.  Go for it.

Posted by Andrew Rivlin on September 30, 2003 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

RCA Lyra

Archos AV

Posted by AintGonna on September 30, 2003 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

> Well I for one can’t wait for this to be
> available… I do a lot of traveling and
> have a great deal of trouble finding an
> internet cafe…

Do you travel with a laptop?  Is there some reason you do not simply put the photos onto the laptop hard drive?

Posted by chug100 on October 1, 2003 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

No, I don’t travel with a laptop. It is a heavy, fragile, expensive piece of equipment that I would rather leave at home. I travel light for months at a time and I need something like the Archos to store the thousands of high-rez photos I take. What I don’t need really is the video, just a color screen to edit photos and software to make slide shows on the go to show friends along the way. I really have expected Apple to bring out a photo pod by now. I don’t trust others to do it “right.” Maybe for Christmas?

Posted by craig77 on October 6, 2003 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

Amen.  I do a lot of photography with a Canon digital, and I generally do them in places where, when I fill up my CF cards, it would be a real pain, if not altogether impossible to pull out a laptop and boot it up.

I’m talking about hanging off the side of cable cars, wandering around in public parks, even in high-speed situations where if I snooze, I lose a shot.

Sure, I could buy a bunch more CF cards, but if I can buy one iPod or Archos that gives me a hard drive as big as the one on my laptop for the cost of two CF cards, why on earth would I even consider lugging my laptop all over the place?

Aside from doubling the amount of weight I have to schlepp around, it’s yet another bag to carry and it’s damn time consuming to haul out a laptop, boot it up, fire up the software, shut the thing down when you’re done.

To tell you the truth I’m surprised Apple didn’t see all the possibilities two iPod generations ago, but that’s sort of a chronic problem for them.  They seem to get a boxed-in view of how something has to be, and they stick with it even when other companies BetaMax their products.  Think of how many times you’ve heard or read or even said, “man, Apple would be on top of the world if only they had ...”

I understand that if you add a CF slot to the thing, that makes it a different product, but once, adding an audio card to a home computer made it an audio workstation.  Now you never see a PC without one.

Posted by 2112 on October 9, 2003 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

“if I can buy one iPod or Archos that gives me a hard drive as big as the one on my laptop for the cost of two CF cards, why on earth would I even consider lugging my laptop all over the place?”

Amen to that. I was juggling a laptop and a Fuji and getting nowwhere fast. Plus I got backache and my laptop battery kept draining. I tried the Archos but while it’s excellent it’s just too pricey for the whole package. They are pricing it like an iPod! I fleabay’d it last week and got the Lyra—it’s smaller, cheaper, and the screen is only slighty smaller but I think it’s got more viewing angle. I like it a lot! Apple lost this customer by not having anything comparable available and I recommend the Lyra to anyone who wants to combine audio, video, and cameras!

Posted by shutterbug on October 9, 2003 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

What I was looking for (and I’m not quite sure this ís what Bernard Leach is working on) is a piece of iPod-software doing the same thing as (Canon’s) “Remote Capture”-software on the computer, namely directly reading the data from the camera.
Of course, this requires a camera with FireWire-interface (a feature only to be found on the more professional expensive models yet).

Posted by milko on October 13, 2003 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >