Computing poll ends, iPod touch poll begins
With over 3,800 votes from iLounge readers, our most recent poll—“Which one of the following devices is your primary computer now?”—has ended. Readers could pick from Mac or PC desktops or laptops, as well as the iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or some other device.
Mac laptops led the pack of responses, with 28 percent of readers saying they were on some model of MacBook. Somewhat surprisingly—and definitely indicative of the impact Apple’s tablet is having on the marketplace—26 percent of readers said the iPad was now their primary computer. 54 percent of those said the iPad has overtaken their Mac as their primary computer, 42 percent said the same of their PC, and roughly four percent said their iPad was their only computer. 17 percent said they primarily use a Mac desktop, 12 percent of people said they primarily use a PC laptop for their computing needs—the same percentage that said they primarily use a PC desktop—followed by three percent who said they use an iPhone or other smartphone, one percent who said they rely on an iPod touch, and one percent who said they rely on some other computing device. Only 15 readers said they didn’t own a computer. Thanks for all your responses!
Our new poll focuses on the iPod touch. Given the increasing number of $200, 7-inch tablets on the market—most notably from Google and Amazon—we’d like to know what you think Apple should do with the iPod touch to stay competitive. Should it drop the price and improve the chips, do both, and enlarge the screen, or keep the same price, improve the chips, and radically increase the screen size to transform it into an iPad mini? Or should it discontinue it in favor of a $199, off-contract iPhone, or just leave it alone for (yet another) year? Our new poll—“What should Apple do with the iPod touch given competition from $200 7” tablets?”—lets you answer that question. As always, you can find the iLounge Poll in the left-hand column of the main iLounge.com home page. Vote today!
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, July giveaway reminder
- Happy Independence Day from iLounge!
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple to reportedly shutter Beats Music? (Update: No)
- Report: iOS 8 adoption rate estimated at 30%
- Apple Watch to come in 4GB, 8GB versions?
- Apple hits 10 million iPhone 6, 6 Plus sales in first weekend
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels