ComScore: Apple, RIM lose market share to Android | iLounge News

ComScore: Apple, RIM lose market share to Android

According to the latest data from comScore, both Apple and BlackBerry-maker RIM lost U.S. smartphone market share to Android during the three months ending in July 2010. First place RIM went from an average share of 41.1% in the three months ending in April to 39.3% in the three months ending in July, a -1.8% change, while Apple’s share of the market went from 25.1% to 23.8%, or a drop of 1.3%, over the same time period. Android, meanwhile, went from an average of 12% of the market in the three months ending in April to 17% in the three months ending in July, a gain of 5%. ComScore’s numbers represent total U.S. smartphone subscribers ages 13 and up.

« Trtl Bot unveils Kickstand, Minimalist cases for iPhone 4

Shure rolls out SE315 Sound Isolating Earphone »

Comments

Of course, RIM-made and Android-running handsets are available on almost every carrier, while iPhones are only available via AT&T. Important fact whenever these market share comparisons are made.

And the iPhone still being an AT&T exclusive is why I HAVE an Android-based phone. I dislike AT&T and won’t use them as a carrier. If it weren’t for that, I’d have an iPhone instead of my HTC EVO. *shrug*

Posted by Daniel S. on September 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM (CDT)

Another thing to keep in mind is Apple’s numbers are based on “essentially” ONE handset. Android is available from not only multiple carriers as mentioned above, but also from multiple handset manufacturers many of who offer multiple handsets.

Posted by Rand on September 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

It is unfair to compare iPhone with Android. iPhone is a phone, a piece of hardware. Android is software; software that is on dozens of different hardware. To make the comparison a bit more fair, EVERY iOS device (iPod touch, iPhone, and now iPad) should be included in the market share count. This still only compares 3 devices with dozens. My 2 cents xD I’m deliberating on selling my iPhone 3G and getting iPod 4. Is it worth it?

Posted by Roger B. on September 16, 2010 at 12:39 AM (CDT)

I’m getting tired of this.  My coworker has an DroidX and blast me all the time with his device being the better when compared with my iPhone4.  He shows apps with argumented reality and all this kind of stuff and brags about the android gaining on market share and having certain capabilities the iPhone4 don’t have.  At times, I feel like having a comback and blast him with what the iphone4/ iOS can do, but of course he brags about the anatenna issue.

Within all this, I wanted to wait for the white iPhone4 but its not available so I just got me my iPhone4 2 days ago.  I was very close to get me the HTC Evo or any android based phone.

I tell you,.. this is getting crazy.

Posted by dennis on September 16, 2010 at 7:49 AM (CDT)

“It is unfair to compare iPhone with Android. iPhone is a phone, a piece of hardware. Android is software; software that is on dozens of different hardware.”

This is so wrong it’s not even amusing. Since you failed to pay attention, allow me to highlight what you missed: they’re ONLY comparing the smartphones with Android to the iPhone, not all devices with Android. There’s no more reason to count touches and iPads in these numbers than there would be to count all the media devices based on Android.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

Code Monkey - I agree in part. This is not a comparison of every entertainment device carrying one of the OSes. But you are still off in this “head-to-head” comparison you have tried to create. The fact is that “ONLY” the Android smartphones still equate to roughly 15-20 devices spread across ALL major carriers. The iPhone is still only 3 models (like anyone is actually buying that 3G any more) on one single carrier.

I have said this all along. Android and RIM should be drumming Apple in this market. They have flooded the market with seemingly endless handsets across all the carriers. Yet Apple, crippled by it’s AT&T exclusivity and very limited device offerings (and yes, I do realize that this is in large part due to Apple’s own doing) is still selling like mad. Android (with their hardware partners) and RIM both make some excellent products. I am really just curious to see how these numbers skew if the iPhone lands on Verizon and/or T-Mobile. That will cause another big shift in market share percentages. I personally know 6 people that chose an Android Verizon phone simply because they dislike AT&T. If given an iPhone on Verizon, they each say they would have gone that route. And that is after seeing what the Droid X and Galaxy S have to offer them.

But I digress. My point is that you are still comparing 3 devices to over a dozen. One carrier to all major carriers. There is no way that any of this is actually relevant. Apple can sit at #3 and still need oil tankers to haul around the cash they are generating. This whole “story” is a bogus headline grab. It has been since they first started comparing these numbers.

Posted by Mitch on September 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM (CDT)

Here is a more likely comparison…

Take the Droid, Droid 2 and Droid X on Verizon and compare them directly to the 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 on AT&T. At least this is three generations of a single device on their exclusive carrier. Somebody tell me what those numbers show.

And I am NOT hating on Android or any device maker. I am hating on the morons that decided to put this type of hack journalism out. “Hey, let’s compare the sale of Fords in the Southeastern U.S. to the sale of all other car manufactures across the entire U.S. That should sell a few papers in Detroit.” Idiots!

Posted by Mitch on September 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM (CDT)

It wouldn’t matter if it were 1 billion devices spread across the entire universe.

People need to stop defending Apple reflexively. Barring a 180 change in momentum Android is going to surpass the iOS in the next two years.

It does not matter how few or how many devices at all.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

To be clear:

Let’s say you’re a developer. Do you care about your guys’ semantical mental jumping jacks to protect Apple’s precious reputation? Or do you care about your potential number of customers between the two platforms.

Let’s say you’re a customer who cares about choice. Do you pretend that because one manufacturer with one device does have such a large slice of the pie that is what matters? Or do you go with the platform that gives you the greatest freedom in choices for software and hardware?

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

I heart codemonkey
For consumers ,it’s about choices. Apple’s exclusivity deal with Att and lack of options for the consumers are it’s own making . Android never wanted to be a single-device OS and that’s how they have played their game.
I have 2 iPhones myself but have waited to upgrade to iPhone 4 not because of the AT&T ( I love their service) but because I would prefer a bigger size set , or maybe one which runs 4g.
Apple cannot pick it’s own battles and they cry. ‘unfair rules’ when it begins to lose .
The survey is NOT about which OS is ‘better’, it’s about which OS is selling ‘more’.

Posted by Nofixed on September 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

First and foremost, I never jumped to Apple’s defense. I never addressed their business practices. I never derided Android. I never discussed the more attractive platform for developers. Why did I not touch on these things? Because they have zero bearing on my point. My point is that THE iPhone is being compared to THE Android OS. Not the same thing. It just is not a true head-to-head comparison. Compare the sales of the Chevy Camaro to the Dodge Challenger. Do not compare it to every auto Dodge produces. No matter how popular the Camaro might be, it will not sell more units than every car with a Dodge engine (i.e. Android).

You are absolutely right. Android will overtake the iPhone. It damn well should (in all honesty, it probably already should have). It is an OS on numerous handsets made by numerous hardware companies and offered on every major carrier. If it did not take the market share from the few iPhone models sitting only on AT&T…that would be a huge failure for Google. That is why I said they should compare the iPhone 4 to the Droid X. That is one device on one carrier. That is a true comparison. Plain and simple.

Again, I am not discussing any selling points of either platform. I am not defending Apple. I am addressing what I see as poor reporting and skewed accounting passing as some sort of revelation.

Posted by Mitch on September 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM (CDT)

We all seem to be overlooking a critical business factor.  As an investor, what impresses you more: Apple’s margin on the iPhone or Motorola’s margin on any member of the Droid series?

Apple doesn’t have the market cap it does selling at the low end of the market.  Apple makes net profit hand-over-fist by offering a quality product with a high perceived value that millions are willing to pay for.

Secondly, it is true that Android will be a much larger market, but as an app developer, I’d give serious consideration to Apple’s closed market (read: low piracy environment) if I had something of value to offer.  The folks who make Doodle Jump and Angry Birds wouldn’t have near the income they currently enjoy if they were Android only products simply due to piracy.

Posted by Charles Farley on September 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

Nofixed - There are no “rules” here. And this is not Apple crying foul. This is a community of users that sees that this survey is not a true representation. And again, I am not even concerned with the pros and cons of each platform. That is simply personal preference. The differences in sales and market share are simply tied more to the sheer number of devices running Android and the carriers that those devices reside on. Apple should never actually lead Android or RIM based on those facts. Android will continue to grow and should even overtake RIM in a few years. They are more consumer friendly and have a stronger feature set.

As for options for the consumers… Many people opt for the locked down environment of Apple for that very reason. It is locked down. Android offers an open system for those that feel “freedom” is more important than security and reliability. Android will soon become Windows-esque. You will have to plead your case to the Android team to be told it is an HTC (or whom ever) hardware problem. Just to be told by the hardware side that it is the OS. Just like I have done time and time again with Dell/HP/Toshiba and Microsoft. But again, I digress. I am not here to laud Apple. I prefer their products for my own reasons. And I do not tell anyone they are wrong for their own choices. But I will call foul when I see shoddy reporting and accounting. And that is the way I see this particular survey.

Posted by Mitch on September 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM (CDT)

Yes, all hail code monkey for keeping us all from the Apple KoolAid.
While others “defend Apple reflexively” he bashes them in like fashion.
Look no further than every post he’s made here. Nothing but pick pick pick at Apple and its customers.
It’s OK with me. I don’t like Windows either, but I bet he’s a fan. I love folks that cut off their noses to spite their faces - and don’t even know it.

Posted by sb on September 17, 2010 at 1:42 AM (CDT)

People arguing about mobile phone marketshare numbers have some serious self-evaluation to do…

Posted by Sticky on September 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM (CDT)