Condé Nast relaunches Gourmet magazine as iPad exclusive
Condé Nast Digital has launched Gourmet Live for the iPad, the first major magazine publication to be transformed into a new iPad exclusive publication. The monthly print edition of Gourmet magazine ceased publication last year citing declining advertising sales and shifting food interests among the readership, however Condé Nast continued using the Gourmet brand in other multimedia publications and the Epicurious iPad application. In a blog post, Anil Dash who led the team at Activate developing the app in collaboration with Condé Nast, the new Gourmet Live digital edition is intended to be a re-imagining of Gourmet “as a sort of massively multiplayer magazine.”
Going beyond a simple digital print publication, Gourmet Live includes not only classic stories and recipes but also adds videos, slideshows and tightly integrated social connections that allow readers to share articles and other information with their friends. Content is available at no additional charge and the application also provides a “gameplay” experience whereby readers unlock access to additional stories and content based on the articles that they actually read. Rewards show up in the form of new custom magazine issues tailored to the readers’ interests that appear on an iBooks-style rewards shelf within the app. Gourmet Live provides mostly original content however the content library also includes stories and articles from previous issues of Gourmet dating back over half a century that may be included in the reward issues. Gourmet Live is available from the App Store as a free download. [via Daring Fireball]
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Device able to access iOS 8.1 through brute-force attack
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?