Condé Nast relaunches Gourmet magazine as iPad exclusive
Condé Nast Digital has launched Gourmet Live for the iPad, the first major magazine publication to be transformed into a new iPad exclusive publication. The monthly print edition of Gourmet magazine ceased publication last year citing declining advertising sales and shifting food interests among the readership, however Condé Nast continued using the Gourmet brand in other multimedia publications and the Epicurious iPad application. In a blog post, Anil Dash who led the team at Activate developing the app in collaboration with Condé Nast, the new Gourmet Live digital edition is intended to be a re-imagining of Gourmet “as a sort of massively multiplayer magazine.”
Going beyond a simple digital print publication, Gourmet Live includes not only classic stories and recipes but also adds videos, slideshows and tightly integrated social connections that allow readers to share articles and other information with their friends. Content is available at no additional charge and the application also provides a “gameplay” experience whereby readers unlock access to additional stories and content based on the articles that they actually read. Rewards show up in the form of new custom magazine issues tailored to the readers’ interests that appear on an iBooks-style rewards shelf within the app. Gourmet Live provides mostly original content however the content library also includes stories and articles from previous issues of Gourmet dating back over half a century that may be included in the reward issues. Gourmet Live is available from the App Store as a free download. [via Daring Fireball]
- The LEGO Movie Video Game, Rocket Cars, SpongeBob: Sponge on the Run, 1Password 5.2 + more
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Be My Eyes, GoodReader 4.8, MacID, Multifly + more
- Monument Valley infographic reveals revenue, other stats from hit game
- AllCast, Google Classroom, Google Maps 4.2, Peg + Cat: The Tree Problem + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards