Contour Design intros new Showcase for video iPod | iLounge News

Contour Design intros new Showcase for video iPod

imageContour Design has introduced a new version of its Showcase for Apple’s fifth-generation iPod. Based on Contour’s original Showcase, the new hard case is slimmer, has a larger headphone port opening to accommodate oversized high-end headphones, and uses a new secure slide latch mechanism. The Showcase Video retains the shock-absorbing rubber, book-style opening, and detachable belt clip. The case comes in two sizes—for both the 30GB and 60GB video iPod—and retails for $33. The Showcase video 60 is available now and the Showcase video 30 will begin shipping late next month.

« TEN ships naviPlay Bluetooth Stereo Headset

Settlement benefits for iPod battery lawsuit dated »

Comments

I just ordered one of these this morning. It’s about time! I was tired of my 60 GB rattling around inside of my iPodArmor case.

I hope the opening on the bottom of this case is big enough so I can still use my FW+Line-out PocketDock without breaking out the Dremel tool…

Posted by matt on February 27, 2006 at 2:56 PM (CST)

Nicely designed.  I’ve always liked these cases, one of my 3G ipods has been living in one for two years and thriving.

Posted by stark23x on February 27, 2006 at 3:02 PM (CST)

Does the clear part of it scratch easily?

Posted by wintwh on February 27, 2006 at 3:18 PM (CST)

Larry - do you have any insight as to why Contour is releasing this in black only?  Looks like there’s no option to choose white anymore.

Posted by redsoxnation on February 27, 2006 at 3:27 PM (CST)

As far as the clear part scratching easily, I’ve found my 4g version to stand up pretty well against scratches. After about a year of use, the clear part still looks clear and I have to look really close to notice anything.

As to why they are only offering it in black, my experience was that the white rubber parts got really dirty, and I’ve been unable to clean it up. I’ve tried using soap and water but it still looks grey and yellow.  I wish I had the black case now, and i’m sure a lot of other people reported similar feelings.  The white one looked great at first, but it looks pretty bad now (though the clear portions still look clear).

I LOVE the contour case.  I don’t know why it took them so long to adapt this case for the 5g, but for those that don’t already have a case, I honestly feel this is the best case for the money as well as the trade off between access and protection.
And no, I don’t work for contour, I just really like the case.

Posted by Brett Breeden on February 27, 2006 at 4:08 PM (CST)

Brett Breeden - I too have the 4G white Contour Showcase and I’ve had great luck cleaning it up using soap & warm water.  Cleaning agents such as Cinch/409/etc..also seem to work pretty well.

Now I wish they’d make one for the Nano…can’t understand why they haven’t…

Posted by redsoxnation on February 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM (CST)

these are great cases. The only cases i think i’ll ever purchase for my ipod are the contour cases, and the iSkin cases.
I had a white contour for my 3G before moving to iSkin (i’m picky, i swap n change between them still), and i dont mean to be vulgar, but a bit of spit on my sleeve seemed to clean it up. I think it became a sub-consious thing after a while of it getting a lil bit grubby, so it never really got over 3 weeks of use without being cleaned.
Dan x

Posted by Dan Nicholls on February 27, 2006 at 5:12 PM (CST)

I ordered mine just now.  I’m glad they made the earphone jack larger to because the Agent 18 case won’t accommodate my Grado SR60’s jack.  The opening is to small and I have to take the case off to use them with my iPod.  Other than that I like the Agent 18 case since I can dock my iPod w/o taking it out of the case.  But I have a contour case for my 3g, 4G & now 5G iPods.  I love the case.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on February 27, 2006 at 6:08 PM (CST)

I agree the Contour case was great for my 4g. Infact I was using it to protect my 5g for many weeks, until I purchased the Speck case.

Posted by Brian on February 27, 2006 at 6:12 PM (CST)

I too wish they would make one for the nano, it looks like a great case, except for it scraching a lot. Maybe if they made it out of glass instaed. the it would probably shatter the first time you dropped it. all in, get one for the nano and ill get it!

Posted by LawnBoy on February 27, 2006 at 6:48 PM (CST)

I have used the black 4G Showcase since getting it at MWSF in Jan 2005 - it is a great case and the improvements to the 5G case are good - the new catch is such a joy to use - the belt clip is bullet proof and having dropped the 4G case (with iPod) onto a gravel track it suffered no damage (case or iPod).

When we saw the case at MW 06 we spotted the problem of the earphone access being slightly too small for any plugs larger than Apple’s and Contour took our recommendations on board.

I will be getting one ASAP…....

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on February 27, 2006 at 7:45 PM (CST)

My 20 GB showcase scratched just over the top of the clickwheel almost as soon as I got it.  I don’t even think I did anything to it.  The rest of the case has been fine.  It was a good case except for the annoying scratches on the face.

$30+ is getting a bit high for a case though….

Posted by Mark Heiden on February 27, 2006 at 8:24 PM (CST)

Is the rubber just on the outside or also on the inside? My current case rubs against my iPod and I’m looking for a hard case that’s lined.

Posted by Gary on February 27, 2006 at 9:08 PM (CST)

Too little too late for this user.

I woulda bought the contour back in Nov, when I needed a case. These were great for my 3G and 4G’s, but it just took too long for it to come out this time around.

Contour really dropped the ball for early adopters.

I hope the case is a good as previous ones, because it’s a great case.

I’m glad it’s black only.  The white drove me nuts.  The inside has rubber nubs on it to seat the ipod in the case, but not put it against the shell.

Posted by dvddesign on February 27, 2006 at 11:50 PM (CST)

One thing that has stopped me getting a hard case is that in theory, if there is a tiny bit of movement between the case and the ipod, then it will scratch itself against the case. Even more so if there is some microscopic grit between the case and ipod. It seems to me that a hard case ought to have some rubber bits that actually hold the ipod so that the case doesn’t actually quite touch it.

Any comments?

Posted by Countach on February 28, 2006 at 12:14 AM (CST)

Is there any word on when this might actually be available at retail Apple Stores?  I’d kind of prefer to be able to just go and pick one up in the store rather than order one from the website - but if they might not be showing up in stores for a while, I would go ahead and place my order.

Posted by zadillo on February 28, 2006 at 12:23 AM (CST)

Does the clip on the back come off?

Posted by Mark on February 28, 2006 at 8:58 AM (CST)

The black 4G version of the Showcase has been nothing but spectacular for me. It should be noted that this case is SUPER easy to take on/off. That’s a huge plus for a hard case owned by someone with a dock and automobile holder. I couldn’t be happier.

Posted by JWj on February 28, 2006 at 10:29 AM (CST)

Does the clip on the back of the new 5G case come off?

Posted by Joe on February 28, 2006 at 11:32 AM (CST)

Yes, the clip is removable.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on February 28, 2006 at 3:45 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >