Contour Design launches Showcase | iLounge News

Contour Design launches Showcase

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, October 6, 2003
News Categories:

picContour Design has announced the Showcase iPod case on its website. The new Showcase fits all 3G iPods and features a hard plastic case, clear plastic front lid, integrated shock-absorbing rubber interior, access to all iPod functions, and a removable horizontally mounted belt clip. Contour Design expects the Showcase to ship on October 20 and pre-ordering is now available for $39.95.

« Incase Designs releases Folio for 3G iPods

Fred Durst Woos Halle Berry with iPod »

Comments

Wow… IMO, it looks pretty darn sweet!  I wonder if it has iPodArmor-like shock absorbers.

If it does, and if the case is **HARD** plastic, this could be a great case.

Thank god they covered the screen.  wink  It’s surprising how many don’t.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on October 6, 2003 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

This actually looks promising.

Posted by Casual on October 6, 2003 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

Lol… OK.  So I skimmed over the description a bit too quickly.  It does have shock-absorbing rubber interior.

Awesome!

**Please don’t scold me! wink

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on October 6, 2003 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

That looks lovely.
The belt clip looks useless.
I can’t believe how hard it seems to be for these companies to design a decent case.
Next!

Posted by Chris Matchett on October 7, 2003 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

I have to say I kind of like it..

lately there have been to many junk being made for the ipod but this looks great.

Posted by bababooey on October 7, 2003 at 1:16 AM (PDT)

I think I like the belt clip mounted this way. The swivel clips are absolutely useless in my opinion.

Posted by Rich in Rhode Island, USA on October 7, 2003 at 3:55 AM (PDT)

On the website it sounds like one size fits all?

Posted by willi on October 7, 2003 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

can u still use the ipod buttons and scroll wheel when its in its case?

Posted by Yads on October 7, 2003 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

Darn, and just bought both an iPod Armor and iSkin.  This does look promising.  Hope the price comes down.

Posted by Cadilon on October 7, 2003 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

I have an iSkin. It works fine but it seems to collect dirt (better than being on the actual ipod I guess). Also the rubber-like feel sticks to my pockets when I try to take it out. Something more slippery would be better I think. Still waiting for the perfect case. I guess nothing can be as beautiful as the nude ipod.

Posted by Slim Goodbody on October 7, 2003 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

I don’t understand, it looks like the back of the case is ONE BIG HOLE! So, if you don’t use your belt clip (and maybe even if you do) the back can get all scratched up.

Am I looking at this wrong?

Posted by BN on October 7, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Am I looking at this wrong?

Posted by BN on October 7, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Well finally it is up on the site. Looks better than I thought. The clip looks quite smart. Take it from me guys this is a cool product. This is a Jaguar with the reliability of a BMW - (but I will confirm that when I get hold of one) I can’t wait to get my hands on one of these. I am not sure if the price will come down that fast. This is quite expensive to make. I have spent quite some time working on high tech plastics and rubber. No wonder these guys have taken so long to come out with a product. It’s not cheap but it is really cool looking.

I talked to my local Apple Store and they said that they were expecting to get them in a few weeks…Does that mean 3,4,5…I called Mac Mall and they had no idea the product existed. Typical.Just been on to their site again - but no press release or product release. Seem’s like they don’t want to talk about their product except through sites like this. Maybe some sort of new age Guerilla marketing?

Posted by Jaldi on October 7, 2003 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Hi BN,
I called Contour yesterday and spoke to this guy who gave me a good feel (3D) of what it will look like. You have nothing to worry about. There is NO BIG HOlE. It is actually transparent plastic.
I had the same question. But the time we will really know is after October 20th when the company releases the product.

Posted by Jaldi on October 7, 2003 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

It’s not a big hole on the back.  if you look at the larger picture, you can see that thsere is an indentation from the back, in.  I assume tehre is foam on the inside of this little area.

I have sent an email to them to find out if the iTrip will fit on this case.  If so, I am getting one.  This looks like the bast designed hard case yet.

Posted by jerry on October 7, 2003 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

Glad to know it’s not a hole. From the pics (yes, even the larger one), I had thought it might end up being like the Incase Pod Folio, which did have the big hole (stupid design):

Looking forward to seeing this Contour case.
BN

Posted by BN on October 7, 2003 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

i wish it was just an update of the isee, i think a completely clear plastic case like the original isee is so nice. protection and display of the pod, but this, i dunno…

Posted by seoulfully on October 7, 2003 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

I’ve looked at all the cases so far, and I was in the market for a hard case. I looked at the Armor, but it just didn’t do it for me.
Then I settled on the Covertec leather case, but it felt like I had to compromise what I wanted.

This case looks to be exactly what I wanted. It protects all the right places, keeps all the right places open and accessible, looks great, has a great looking belt clip, and is not bulky.

I’ve already ordered mine and I just hope I can get it and review it before I have to leave for my honeymoon.

BTW, I also canceled my order for the Covertec.

Posted by Marcelo on October 7, 2003 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

so it does protect the screen?

Posted by jmc in noitacol on October 7, 2003 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

jmc, if you’re talking about the ShowCase, then yes… It does.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on October 7, 2003 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >