Coordinated ‘iPad mini’ rumors claim iPod-like thinness, small bezel
A number of separate reports claiming consistent information on the so-called “iPad mini” have appeared online. 9to5Mac seemingly led off the reports by posting an article displaying mockup renderings, supposed back casing part leaks, and purported cases for the device. According to the report, the iPad mini will not keep the thick bezels of the 9.7-inch iPad on all sides, but will instead feature smaller bezels along the sides in portrait mode, separated volume buttons, and a mic in the middle of the back. That premise is then used to validate a set of purported schematics from mid-July—originally posted by a hitherto unknown site called Think iOS—that showed such a device, measuring 7.3mm thick by 134.73 mm wide and 200.13 mm tall. These measurements would place the iPad mini in the same thickness range as an iPod touch.
Oddly, 9to5Mac links to separate corroborating reports from iMore and Daring Fireball, the latter of which goes into unusual detail to justify its assumptions, including comparisons between the proportions of the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch to the aspect ratios of their displays. For reasons unknown, 9to5Mac’s report appeared first, followed by the others, even though 9to5Mac said that its report was inspired by an article from Daring Fireball that was actually posted hours later. All three reports reference an unusual public discussion between Apple-focused bloggers on the discussion site Branch, suggesting that their reports were coordinated.
While some of the details in these reports line up with information that iLounge has heard from trusted sources, the schematic drawings mentioned in 9to5Mac’s report included an odd aspect ratio for the device’s screen, as seen in the above image, which led us to hold off on publishing them back in July. However, as the schematics do not provide exact dimensions for the screen itself, it’s possible that the discrepancy is due to accurate measurements of a rear shell, relying on assumptions regarding the placement and size of elements on the glass front face.
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Device able to access iOS 8.1 through brute-force attack
- Microsoft to bring Cortana to iOS
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 3 to developers (Update: iOS 8.3 Public Beta also released)
- Report: CIA researchers trying to break iPhone, iPad security
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?