Creative CEO: iPod shuffle is a joke | iLounge News

Creative CEO: iPod shuffle is a joke

Creative CEO Sim Wong Hoo has offered some harsh words for Apple’s new iPod shuffle.  “Actually, to me it’s a big let-down: we’re expecting a good fight but they’re coming out with something that’s five generations older,” Wong Hoo said. “It’s our first generation MuVo One product feature, without display, just have a (shuffle feature). We had that—that’s a four-year-old product.”

“So I think the whole industry will just laugh at it, because the flash people—it’s worse than the cheapest Chinese player,” he added. “Even the cheap, cheap Chinese brand today has display and has FM. They don’t have this kind of thing, and they expect to come out with a fight; I think it’s a non-starter to begin with.”

« Mix: shuffle support, shuffle screen, Target, 4G shuffle

Macworld: Photo galleries 2 and 3 posted, more coming »

Comments

Yes, but its IPOD! of course it will sell well!

Posted by steel102 on January 15, 2005 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

Yes but Americans & Europeans will piss away money on crap like this. Asians who have to work harder for money are better educated buyers, hence his comments.
I completely agree with him on the model’s lack of features of the Shuffle. But that will probably be corrected in the 2nd or 3rd generation Shuffle.

Posted by milk3pod in chicago, il on January 15, 2005 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I’m an European and I wouldn’t buy this crap if it was the last mp3-player on earth. It would take hours to find a song on that piece of ####. By the way, I own an iPod Mini so I’m not an iPod-hater or anything. Look at this picture: http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=302 . This is what the iPod Shuffle should have looked like. In my opinion the iPod Shuffle is a lame excuse from Mr. Jobs to say: “iPod rocks!!! Now gimmie, gimmie, gimmie you’re money!!!” iPod has been the best on the market for some time now, but the last year Apple is starting to push its luck. They don’t even have FM-radio build in to the iPods yet. Some other thought might be to make it able to watch movies on the iPod Photo. These things are soooooooooooooooooo incredibly simple and yet Apple seems to foolish to integrade it on their players. If they realy want to stay on top of the market. Right now I have an iPod because it’s simple the best player around, but as soon as an other brand takes that position I won’t hesitate to switch to another mp3-player. Mr. Jobs has to remember one thing. He got on top of the mp3-player market with something revolutionary and the only way to stay there is to keep the revolutionary stuff coming. So I would like to say to him: “Stop cashing in and show us what the iPod really could be, because I know there is way more possible than we have seen yet.”

Posted by IkBenStevey in Netherlands on January 15, 2005 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

What most people continue to fail to realize is that users aren’t looking just for “features.” They’re looking for utility and usability. Whether or not the iPod shuffle will be successful has far less to do with how it stacks up, spec for spec, with other players, than it does with how useful and usable the product is (or is perceived to be). If all people want to do is listen to music, why include a video player? I believe that it is largely because of this user-centred approach that the iPod has been a big success.

Posted by Chris Ryan in Vancouver on January 15, 2005 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

The fact that it doesn’t have a display, while pretty much EVERY flash based mp3 player on the market does, I can see why the Creative CEO would make those comments.

And the fact that it’s relying on the iPod name gives it a market, if not people who just want to own an “iPod” but not pay as much as a Mini’s cost. Perhaps to get in on the hoopla with the whole cultural icon that the iPod is. However, I could likely see people laughing at a mp3 player without any display if it was ANY OTHER brand than an Apple…

Posted by rockthecasbah on January 15, 2005 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

Big words from a man with little market share…

-Dan

Posted by Doug Gilmour in Canada on January 15, 2005 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

Ipod shuffle wasn’t intended for the people who already own a full ipod!  It was made for the people who want to try out the ipod.  I believe they hope people will see how awesome it is and then buy a mini or 4g or even an ipod photo.  I think the screenless ipod shows a certain sense of style that definetly shows it is part of the club.  The elite society of ipod owners shouldn’t be attacking a member of the family…creative should be getting our attention!  Have you see how ugly the zen micro is?

Posted by Cody Barnett in NW PA on January 15, 2005 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

that Creative guy sounded so arrogant to me !!

i think people go for iPod because of the design… so if iPod Shuffle is not good enough .. they will go for other iPod..

i mean the bottom line is: people will still buy from iPod, it just depends which one they’re gonna get from the range raspberry

Posted by daintycloud in Singapore on January 15, 2005 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

Hey, what is different than car audio system with 10 (or 100) CD changer unit?  We were all happy with it for a long time.  How often do you see iPod’s display when you are bringing it out?

Posted by tycoon on January 15, 2005 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

Big words from a man with little market share

Creative sold 2m players last quarter vs Apple’s 4.5m. That’s not insignificant.

Both Apple and Creative are benefitting from the mass adoption of digital audio players.

Posted by Demosthenes on January 15, 2005 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

Man, I think the real problem is the marketing. They’re advertising it as a player that only has one play mode… while in fact you can make a playlist and have it play normally.

I the problem is most people don’t know that. So what if it doesn’t have a display?? The amount of songs you can put on it doesn’t justify a need anyway. You make a playlist, or play it on shuffle.. end of story. It’s like listening to the radio.

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on January 15, 2005 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

I was shocked that Apple would roll out a POS like the “Shuffle your money into our bank accounts” stick.  I received a Creative Nomad MuVo 64MB as a FREEBIE 2 years ago when I got a Dell computer, and at that time, my beef with it was “nice toy, but it’s a pain to use without a screen”.  Creative has gotten way better since then as their newest Nomad players have a display, FM receiver, and recording capabilities.  Check out this link for a comparison:

Apple must have been on some serious drugs when they thought that they could enter this market segment with the shuffle.  I’m far from a Creative lover, but they at least have some common sense about the flash-based market.  How Apple plans to get 80% of the Japanese market with the shuffle is just someone’s pipe dream.  The Shuffles only selling points are that it works with iTunes, and $99 for 512 MB is a decent price.  But for $15 more, you can get the Creative with a FM tuner, microphone & FM recording and a display.  Something tells me that someone at Apple is going to get fired soon for this blunder product.

I retired my MuVo when I got my 3G iPod, and I see no reason to even consider a new flash based MP3 player.  But if I did, the Shuffle would be far down my list.  What a disappointment…

Posted by UncleMiltie in Lake Orion, MI on January 15, 2005 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

I just came out with an idea, tell me what you guys think of it. What if apple could make a end cap like the one that pulls off to expose the usb adaptor and hooks up to the neck brace, but make one with a screen on it so ppl can then choose weather they would want to spend a couple of more dollars to get a screen or not, just wonder if it is technically possible to accomplish that by connecting it to the usb of the ipod shuffle, it wouldn’t have to be any big then it is now just a end cap with a screen on it. HUMM?
I have come up with other ideas sony has used that i posted on there site wonder if apple is readying this lol.

Posted by sonyman in toronto on January 15, 2005 at 6:06 PM (PDT)

The lack of a screen was a compromise necessary in order to sell a bigger capacity player than the competition at the same price point. Fortunately the iTunes software can automatically update the contents of the device so that no two listening sessions will be the same. FM radio, movies, voice recorders, etc are features that most music listeners can do without.

The 1st generation MuVo One had a capacity of 64 MB and cost US $130. It used single AAA bateries that lasted for 12 hours each. The software was non-existent because the computer saw it as another external hard drive; no iTunes-like music management. File formats supported were unprotected WMA and MP3. I think the iPod Shuffle compares very well with the MuVo One.

Posted by Sol in Brisbane, Australia on January 15, 2005 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

1) FM sucks. It would only serve to complicate such a beautifully simple device.

2) Screens = Breakable

3) You could have the most high tech digital audio player, but if it’s difficult to use, that tech has gone to waste.

Posted by minty on January 15, 2005 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

Personally, I do believe Mr. Creative has a point. The Shuffle IS 4-5 year old technology. Other than for the 1 Gig addition, it IS completely old tech. But people will buy it because of the iPod name. Mr. Job is betting his fortune on it… and even though I’d like to see the Shuffle fall flat on it’s face because if it doesn’t then Mr. Jobs will continue to release 4-5 year old technology and think “it’s ok becaue the Shuffle sold well so why not keep going back in innovation, people will keep buying our crap…” I’m still torn between getting one JUST for jogging/excersizing, but I really don’t want to add to the hype and help support 4 year old technology. So I think I’m going to pick up another flash player that at least has a screen for God’s sake!

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on January 15, 2005 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

I agree with Kloan above.  I have a mini and may get one of these as a little throw away…not throw it aweay, but just something cheaper and lighterif I’m running or whatever.  If it breaks $100.00 is better than $250+ Besides it’s an IPOD, not a fortune cookie.

Posted by WillyD on January 15, 2005 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

Believe folks need to consider the intended purpose of the iPod shuffle – it’s not meant to address the entire flash-based marketplace.

The iPod shuffle isn’t the end-all-be-all flash player.  It satisfies a niche market:  it’s for folks that want a small flash player, most likely for sports/activities.  Two sub-categories:

1.  Existing iPod owners…with 90% market share, this is a good way to branch out/protect your market position (vs. having your customer base buy a flash player from Rio, Creative, etc.).  This is a great move from a “protect market share” perspective.  If you’re going to be in an environment whereby you will want to hear a particular song, then pick-up your iPod, Ipod mini, iPod U2 or iPod photo…

2.  Sports activity folks that don’t have an iPod or flash player - yes, it might be a push for them to purchase a flash play w/o display.  But, many of us listen to a radio when working out/running - and I have very little choice over song selection at that point…I can only change stations (i.e.:  skip) and I never look at a display.

Is it the player to dominate all others and make every other flash player obsolete?  No, that’s not its intent.  I agree, it’d be hard to use as your ONLY player, but I don’t think that’s it target market.

Does it protect market share, will it drive further revenues and does it have some appeal to non-Apple/iPod users for a niche market?  Yes.

Also, the harder somebody critiques a competitive product…the more they’re concerned about it/the competition.  If the shuffle were really as bad as “Mr. Creative” says it is…why would he even mention it and give it further market awareness.  If his argument’s valid, it’ll die a death on its own…why further raise awareness.  Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Frank

Posted by Frank (Atlanta) on January 15, 2005 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

I’m not surprised at Creative’s comments. They’re always saying stuff like this. They brag and promise and strut about, but really they’re not that good (except for the Micro). I think the Shuffle will sell. I might even buy one, and not because I’m an uneducated buyer.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on January 15, 2005 at 7:17 PM (PDT)

I’ve used two different creative mini flash players first hand, and they are both very complicated to use.  they have such extensive menus with lots of options, but you only have a couple buttons to navigate everything with.

and the software is the killer.  the creative music transfer program that comes with these players is HORRIBLE.  I have never been so angry at a piece of software in my life.  So slow, unresponsive and lacks many small actions that would make things alot easier.  Truly pathetic.  I would not buy a creative player simply because the software is so poor.

Apple has creative beat in that department by 100 yards.  otherwise, the creative player is pretty decent.

I think the iPod shuffle is a good idea, but if theres not going to be a screen,  then it should really cost less than half of what it does.  otherwise, its a good idea.  most of the time when i listen to my ipod, i just have it on Shuffle all, and I dont pay attention to what is playing because I enjoy everything that I put on it.

Posted by PallarAndersVisa on January 15, 2005 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »