Creative debuts iPod lookalike; Will ‘aggressively pursue’ patent | iLounge News

Creative debuts iPod lookalike; Will ‘aggressively pursue’ patent

imageCreative Technology today introduced a 30GB digital media device that bears a striking resemblance to Apple’s new video iPod. The Zen Vision:M, which features a 2.5-inch color screen and video playback support, appears to lift several styling and interface details from the new video iPod. The $330 device also features support for music subscription services, an FM radio and a built-in mic for recording. The Zen Vision:M will be available in black, white, blue, green or pink this month.

Sim Wong Hoo, the outspoken CEO of Creative, took a swipe at the iPod in the company’s press release for the device. “When people see the Zen Vision:M, they tell us it’s incredibly cool,” he said. “We designed the Zen Vision:M with its mesmerizing 262,144 color screen to display four times the color of the 30GB iPod that plays video, and to provide twice the battery life for video playback. Plus, we offer people the freedom to choose their video in a variety of different formats, and to get subscription music or download tracks from a number of different sites to their player.”

While Creative appears to be taking cues from the iPod design, it seems Apple will be the one soon facing a legal threat. At the launch of the new device, the Creative CEO told the BBC that he plans to “pursue aggressively” a US patent it owns relating to music navigation on digital players. “We will pursue all manufacturers that use the same navigation system,” he said. “This is something we will pursue aggressively. Hopefully this will be friendly, but people have to respect intellectual property.”

« iSkin eVo3 for 5G iPod now available

iWorkout 3.0 for iPod released »

Comments

“Er, the best player has already won, Sherlock!  If you’re still not sure about that, check the market share.”

I would counter this suggestion with the advice that you should check current market share versus potential market size. Although obviously an important market as far as dollars go, the DAP market is barely out of the womb. While Apple has an impressive lead, it’ll be another five years before anybody can be trying to declare a winner in this race.

Apple once had an impressive personal computer share as well, that didn’t turn out so well for them in the long run. In the end, it turned out that it’s an almost insignificant number of people that care about the “Apple Experience (TM)” when it came to computing versus the “Works good enough, is cheaper, and offers more choice” population.

People on this site can dismiss WMA support, more open video codec support, and anything else they want, but while the current iPod user base will keep Apple afloat indefinitely, they won’t represent more than a drop in the bucket of total DAP users five years from now. Will Apple win in the long run? Maybe, but I think the more flexible choice for DRM’d music on almost everything but an iPod is going to eventually eat away at the iPod’s market share.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on December 9, 2005 at 9:23 AM (CST)

wow, its amazing the depths this company will sink to, theyre designers are those dumb ass people who you see in your college design class trying to jusify using jokerman font on a business card design while the rest of us are sittin there talkin behind their back. And when they finally do make something nice its blatant plagiarism from a work that exists somewhere else, some will go so far as to copy their fellow students’s styles…. UH OH, sounds like what creative’s guys did here!

pathetic at BEST.

Posted by Tony on December 9, 2005 at 9:58 AM (CST)

@Code Monkey:

If you can’t see the difference between the iPod revolution and Apple’s computer’s “once impressive market share”, then you are truly an idiot.

Posted by The Raven on December 9, 2005 at 10:48 AM (CST)

“If you can’t see the difference between the iPod revolution and Apple’s computer’s “once impressive market share

Posted by Joshua on December 9, 2005 at 11:50 AM (CST)

The Creative iClone is alright, I suppose, but my question is, are there still people who consider FM radio a selling point?  Around here, other than NPR, which I get my fill of during my morning and evening commutes, there’s maybe one or two decent commercial radio stations worth listening to amongst the ClearChannel and Country Pop and Tejano.  And even the decent stations seem to play the same eight songs over and over again when they aren’t playing ten minute commercial blocs.

The reason I got my iPod in the first place was that I was sick of the two listenable radio stations I can get at work.  FM radio is DEAD.

Posted by Ian on December 9, 2005 at 1:00 PM (CST)

Just a couple of points on the legal issues:

1. Creative has an interface patent, but no court has determined that Apple has infringed that patent. Should Creative make such a claim, Apple then could challenge the legal validity of the patent itself. A patent, before it’s tested by a court, represents only a presumptive claim to technology. That claim is rebuttable. Put more simply, one possible outcome of a legal fight is that Creative loses its patent altogether.

2. Patent courts are extremely sophisticated. They are our system’s best check on overbroad patents. Before this has gone to trial, it’s silly to argue that Creative has some sort of iron-clad right to the interface IP.

3. As we all know, Apple vigorously protects the look and feel of its devices. This device certainly comes close enough to get their attention. Whether they decide to fight it in the court, in the marketplace, or in both is a strategic decision.

Posted by bluebook on December 9, 2005 at 1:40 PM (CST)

Didn’t Microsoft say they owned the patent for the media play hirearctical menuing system that is used on the iPod and Zen players? This is retarted. Creative needs to do something revolutionary, not make a slightly better product than the market jaugernaut. They will never get market share that way.

Posted by Chad on December 9, 2005 at 1:43 PM (CST)

As its been said, getting pissed off over who has the best player is losing a grip on reality, but my two cents worth is this.

(Own Zen Xtra, Rio Karma, 4th Gen IPOD, IPod Mini )

Creative’s positives include the replaceable battery, the ability to handle a wider range of video codecs, the bonus of an FM radio and the fact that the power supply to the wall doesn’t cost extra. As far as sound, if its anything like my Zen Xtra then its got potential, but until I hear it, I can’t judge. Hope they’ve moved forward with their EQ. Wish it would have more of a Karma tweaking potential. As for price, it’s a little more expensive, but discounted prices at retail stores will bring that down to the same level as the 5th Gen IPOD.

Negatives

Looks like a little larger, and little more difficult to navigate; it’ll be forever known as an IPOD knockoff, but competition is good and might inspire Apple to finally get off its ass and create a replaceable battery version of its IPOD as well as do something about that pathetic EQ.

Bottom Line : Pick the player you like based on what you need, quit arguing about stupid things like a music player when there are bigger concerns in the world, and just enjoy the music!!

Posted by LTM on December 9, 2005 at 5:25 PM (CST)

When I first saw the image I thought it was some sort of silcone case for the 5G.

Posted by Japester on December 9, 2005 at 7:58 PM (CST)

Stark23x: No, the fanboys aren’t out in full force, but apparently the morons (such as yourself) ARE out in full force. Defending a product and/or the company that makes said product DOES NOT make one a fanboy; it makes them loyal. I’ve got my gripes with Apple, as a fellow moron of your brood (a.k.a. z2) knows all too well.

The Raven: CodeMonkey is an idiot. Anyone who can’t live in the present and is so focused on the way Apple was YEARS AGO, is too retarded to function in modern society.

Bluebook: Creative DOES NOT have a patent on the display and menu system. What they DO have is a vague attempt at a vague concept. The hierarchal (if that’s even how it’s spelled, which right now I could give less than a s h i t about) has been in play ever since onscreen displays for any device first appeared. They didn’t create them, but they’d like you to think that they did. If patent courts are so specific then why oh why do they describe this menu system that seems to mean so much to them in such vague terms? Because they are idiots, that is why.

“Me”: Creative didn’t innovate s h i t. They just took the next step. ANYONE can do that. What Apple did was make their product SEVERAL STEPS BETTER. And, except for its internal battery that must be changed with great care, instead of just being able to pop off the back panel, take out some AAs or a 9-Volt, pop in a new one/ones and close it again, then go back to listening to music or watching videos, the iPod is FLAWLESS, and THAT is a FACT! DEAL WITH IT.

LTM: I couldn’t say it better myself, and I will go this far. I actually like the design of this new Creative player. FM is good but it won’t mean anything to me at the start of next year, because Howard Stern is leaving terrestrial radio.

Posted by Jack on December 9, 2005 at 10:23 PM (CST)

i agree that the patent is very vague, but what we think means nothing.  i’m sure we’ll see the result of this at some point (maybe years from now).

the ipod is not flawless.  its video battery life is lacking, it format support is lacking, and the supported video resolution sucks.  the main advantage i see in the creative player is the much higher supported video resolutions for output to a TV.  in addition, the ipod’s screen looks kinda bad in comparison to the vision:m’s

try not to loose your temper, Jack. you were already warned once.

Posted by z2 on December 10, 2005 at 5:07 PM (CST)

z2: Go f u c k yourself, z2. Warned? I DO THE WARNING. You can tell that the attempt to ban me worked OH SO WELL. The moderators here cannot get rid of me and THEY NEVER WILL. Lose my temper? First off, I need no advice from a little pansy hall-monitoring p u s s y punk b i t c h like you. And I can defeat ANYONE here without ever losing my temper. I come here to state what I want to state and that’s it. It doesn’t matter what anyone else says. What I say IS FACT, and THAT’S THAT. It doesn’t matter if everyone agrees or no one agrees with me, what I say IS STILL FACT. That’s the great thing about a FACT: whether you agree with it (or me) or not, it doesn’t matter, I’m still right and I still speak FACT.

As far as what “we” think meaning nothing? Speak for yourself. What YOU think means nothing. What I believe means EVERYTHING. Deal with it, you worthless little punk f a g g ot. Lift some weights and stop whining about how many batteries you’ll have to buy and carry if the designers of the iPod ever GET A CLUE and make the player dependent upon AAs or 9-Volts. You’re an idiot. That’s another FACT! DEAL WITH IT.

Posted by Jack on December 12, 2005 at 12:05 PM (CST)

jack, just fuck off and tell someone who cares, I bet your quite the hard man in real life.

Posted by silver_haze20 on December 12, 2005 at 1:48 PM (CST)

Silver_GAYS(Er, I mean Haze—Yeah, that’s right, that’s what I mean—HAHAHAHA): You go f u c k off, silver_f a g. I take orders from NO ONE, especially not some little punk f a g g o t like you. As far as telling people who care? I am. Those few people who visit this site and these boards who actually HAVE intelligence, which rules you and your little butt-buddy z2 out, care about what I have to say. That’s how you can tell who IS INTELLIGENT and who ISN’T INTELLIGENT. If they go along with what I say and agree with me then they ARE INTELLIGENT; if, however, they side with morons like you and your gay little troupe, then they have NO INTELLIGENCE WHATSOEVER. As far as being “quite the hard man in real life.” Try me, you little punk b i t c h. I’ll break you in two pieces over my knee, then I’ll go back to f u c k ing your mother. You’re just another loser, accept it. You’ll NEVER win against me. NO ONE EVER WILL. And THAT is yet another FACT! Deal with it, you little punk b i t c h.

Posted by Jack on December 12, 2005 at 5:01 PM (CST)

jack, were you denied breast milk as a child?

Posted by Andrew on December 13, 2005 at 7:51 AM (CST)

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4