Criminal charges coming over AT&T iPad data breach (Updated)
U.S. prosecutors are expected to announce criminal charges relating to the alleged theft of email addresses and SIM ICC-ID numbers for over 110,000 iPad 3G users last June. Reuters reports that the charges arise from the hacking of AT&T’s servers which led to the breach; a security company known as Goatse Security discovered a script on AT&T’s website, accessible by the public, through which it obtained the data. Although the company claimed that it notified AT&T of the breach, it also admitted to sharing the PHP script it used to harvest the data with several third-parties prior to AT&T’s response. Paul Fishman, the U.S. attorney for the District of New Jersey, and the FBI plan to hold a press conference later today to discuss the charges; we will update this story once more information is available.
Update: Two men, Daniel Spitler and Andrew Auernheimer, were each charged with one count of fraud and one count of conspiracy to access a computer without authorization, according to Reuters.
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Rumors: ‘iPad Pro’ found in data logs, to enter production in coming months
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1, iTunes 12.2.2
- Apple increases iPad business focus, partners with 40+ companies
- El Capitan file hints at split-screen apps on iPad mini 4
- Report: iPhone 6S Force Touch to focus on shortcuts
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?