Crisis? What Crisis? A debate on the future of the music business
In the January 2004 issue of Word magazine 16 experts discuss the future of the music industry and try to sort fact from hysteria. Amongst those answering questions are musicians Moby and Peter Gabriel, Executives from EMI and MTV and passionate advocates like Nick Hornby and Tony Wilson.
From the future of the album, through how musicians will adapt to downloading, the panel give their opinions on the future of music. Inevitably the iPod comes into the discussion.
The panel was asked “Does the iPod fundamentally change something about the way you listen to music. And if so, what?”
Stuart Maconie (Writer/Broadcaster) - “Today, as I dozed on the train, Debussey flowed into Momus which then begat ‘Ventura Highway’ by America which unexpectedly became The Darkness and then Interpol before mellowing into Smokey Robinson and then finally Vaughan Williams. If you love music, it reminds you how much you love music, and that music is too special to be packaged and demographically targeted in order to sell more Walker’s crisps.”
Nick Hornby (Author, fan) - “I listen much more to compilations than I ever did. The iPod gives songs and artists and albums and playlists equal weight - your hi-fi can’t do that. It only takes a few seconds to make a playlist, and who wouldn’t rather listen to a collection of favourite tunes - or even selections from new albums - than wade through seventy minutes of an album to find maybe half an hour of decent music?”
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?