Crisis? What Crisis? A debate on the future of the music business
In the January 2004 issue of Word magazine 16 experts discuss the future of the music industry and try to sort fact from hysteria. Amongst those answering questions are musicians Moby and Peter Gabriel, Executives from EMI and MTV and passionate advocates like Nick Hornby and Tony Wilson.
From the future of the album, through how musicians will adapt to downloading, the panel give their opinions on the future of music. Inevitably the iPod comes into the discussion.
The panel was asked “Does the iPod fundamentally change something about the way you listen to music. And if so, what?”
Stuart Maconie (Writer/Broadcaster) - “Today, as I dozed on the train, Debussey flowed into Momus which then begat ‘Ventura Highway’ by America which unexpectedly became The Darkness and then Interpol before mellowing into Smokey Robinson and then finally Vaughan Williams. If you love music, it reminds you how much you love music, and that music is too special to be packaged and demographically targeted in order to sell more Walker’s crisps.”
Nick Hornby (Author, fan) - “I listen much more to compilations than I ever did. The iPod gives songs and artists and albums and playlists equal weight - your hi-fi can’t do that. It only takes a few seconds to make a playlist, and who wouldn’t rather listen to a collection of favourite tunes - or even selections from new albums - than wade through seventy minutes of an album to find maybe half an hour of decent music?”
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015