Custom iPod engraving for free at Apple | iLounge News

Custom iPod engraving for free at Apple

Dealmac: Apple offers free custom engraving, a $20 value, on all new iPods purchased at The Apple Store. Offer ends November 5, 2003.

« iSKin eXo 2 for 1 extended until November 3

NY Times: iTunes is best vs. the rest »

Comments

If you don’t REALLY want engraving, skip it.  From my (very recent) experience, it adds almost a MONTH to the order time.  :(

Posted by Jason on October 30, 2003 at 11:14 AM (CST)

I must TOTALLY disagree with Jason.

I ordered an engraved iPod, and it made it to my house in AZ, from Taiwan, in four business days.  (Ordered late monday night… and it was on my doorstep friday morning).  VERY impressive.

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 30, 2003 at 11:37 AM (CST)

What I wonder is what’s going to be the next deal on November 6th. First they lowered the price of the engraving to 5$ for students, then they made it free. Now they’re making it free to everyone. Do you think they’re going to lower the prices soon ?

LoneStar (suspicious)

Posted by LoneStar on October 30, 2003 at 11:41 AM (CST)

Thats like a curse… 2 days after I ordered my 40GB iPod I received the 25 $ rebate for purchases over 250 $via mail.. grrr… now they give away the engraving for free, starting 4 days after I ordered mine and paid 20 $... grrr grrr

Whats next, Family pack Panther for the single version price ? (Guess who bought the family pack at Panther night…)

Posted by Volker on October 30, 2003 at 12:14 PM (CST)

Mines engraved, still only took like 7 days to arive (im in UK)
Im just pissed that my gf ordered me the 15gb for my birthday and its still sitting on her cupboard cos its not till dec.. now its been replaced with the 20gb and teh engraving free.. ffs, hehe

Simon

Posted by SiMON on October 30, 2003 at 5:46 PM (CST)

Lonestar: I bet you anything that around christmas you will see iPods bundled with a certain number of free songs from the iTunes music store. Would be an easy way to directly promote their music store with every iPod sale.

Posted by STR on October 30, 2003 at 8:19 PM (CST)

Simon: not that’s it’s much consolation, but most of these offers seem to only apply to the main Apple US store - so engraving at the UK store still costs

Posted by Stef on October 31, 2003 at 6:28 AM (CST)

Yeah, it’s still 15 quid on the UK site.

I’m saving up just now for a 20Gb ipod, looking to order around the middle of November. I just hope I don’t order *right* before a price cut :-/

Posted by Omar on October 31, 2003 at 3:15 PM (CST)

Well I just ordered mine when I realised you could pay by something *other than credit card* (as I don’t trust myself to own one and don’t actually need one really).

So I go and order it by cheque and post it on the same day.  Wake up next morning and flick on the TV - “Royal Mail workers go on strike!”  Goddammit!

So not only do I have to wait an extra 7-10 days for the cheque to be processed, but I’m still waiting for Royal Mail to clear the London backlog before the damn thing even arrives!  Maybe I should get myself a credit card after all… ;)

Go for it Omar, just buy it and use it - new stuff comes out every day yet it doesn’t make the stuff you already own any less useful :)

Besides, I can’t see Apple (UK or elsewhere) applying any price cuts until after the Christmas period.  Why lose out on purchases from customers buying presents?  They’ll buy them anyway, regardless of a price cut, ‘cause it’s a Christmas present.

That’s my logic anyway but it’s probably fairly flawed at this late hour!

Posted by Stef on November 4, 2003 at 7:16 PM (CST)