Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case | iLounge News

Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case

pic iLounger “Helixipod” has built an outstanding hard shell case for his iPod shuffle. The machined aluminum case does away with the idea of using an end cap and is one of the best iPod protectors we’ve seen come from an individual—and the first third-party hard case for the iPod shuffle. He said it was made on a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) milling machine and allows access to all ports, controls, and LEDs.

“I’ve had my iPod shuffle for a couple weeks now and I’ve been carrying it around with me in my pocket. I love it and use it more than my fourth-generation 40GB. I couldn’t find any shuffle hard cases available yet, but I wanted to protect it so I just made my own,” Helixipod writes in the iLounge forums.

“The front and back half of the case are joined together by 4 very small screws. I have no need to take it out of the case anymore,” he explains. “The headphones come in from the top, USB from the bottom, and there is also a window on the back for the on/off/shuffle slider and battery button. It is lined on the front, back, top, bottom, and sides with black velvet.”

Helixipod said his aluminum case adds 20 grams to the iPod shuffle, bringing the total weight to 42 grams—just under 1.48 ounces. The design does, however, require a female USB cord to charge/sync the device.

Click “Read more” for four large images of the case.

pic

pic

pic

pic

« Tunewear intros Prie PodWallet

‘Military-like’ protective case for iPods announced »

Comments

Quite excellent job, my hat goes off to you Helixipod. Now how much would it cost for me to get one of those alumnium cases made for my 40GB 4G?

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on February 8, 2005 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

Very slick looking.  Quite heavy though for aluminum, isn’t it?

Posted by SilentDeath911 in NJ on February 8, 2005 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

Shweeet! Put me on the list if you’re producing them. Take pay pal?

Posted by blikum on February 8, 2005 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

I’ll give you $50 for 2!

Posted by CanofAir on February 8, 2005 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

Wow! Very nicely done. How much are they being sold for?

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on February 8, 2005 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

that is HOT!  OMG… i want one, *but* i have to get a shuffle first.

Posted by petro on February 8, 2005 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Probable one of the absolute best things I’ve seen for iPods as a whole.

If I were you I would give some serious thought to mass production… I’d buy one for sure.

I think the added weight would be a welcome thing to me.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on February 8, 2005 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

massive respect to helixipod… i have never been tempted by any of the commercial cases, but i will pay good money for one of these should you be mass producing!!

Posted by FLAmous in Aotearoa on February 8, 2005 at 4:43 PM (PDT)

This is by far the best case for any apple product out there.  Please make more of these and add me to the list.

Posted by alta59 in US on February 8, 2005 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

Add me to the list!

Posted by Jeremy Roush in Santa Monica, California on February 8, 2005 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Simply beautiful

Posted by purplestallion in Dallas, Texas on February 8, 2005 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Very cool.

Posted by Nagromme on February 8, 2005 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

I’d like to see you do better, HomoSapien.  I think it’s terrific—though needing a female USB cord is quite a tradeoff.

Posted by SPThom on February 8, 2005 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

WOW.  That is beautiful.  Ever think of designing something for a full-sized ipod?

Posted by stark23x on February 8, 2005 at 6:42 PM (PDT)

that looks sooooo SWEET!

is he taking orders?

Posted by elefant on February 8, 2005 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

I wonder how many companies come to the iPodlounge? I wonder how many will steal this idea, mass produce it, and we’ll see it for sale for $50 within 2 weeks.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 8, 2005 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

flawless look, i’d buy one for my 40GB

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on February 8, 2005 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

Very nice.

But I doubt anyone will mass produce this for the Shuffle. The quality is far too good for cheap, mass production.

They could do it, but not too many will pay something like $44.99 to protect a $99/149 investment.

The demand for the full size iPod case however, is probably much greater….

Posted by JPack on February 8, 2005 at 8:15 PM (PDT)

if you guys click on the forum link, you can see images of his case for the 3G ipod.  i’d say its even nicer than the shuffle case.

Posted by zip22 on February 8, 2005 at 8:27 PM (PDT)

That’s really awesome.

Posted by Prudence in Somerville, MA on February 8, 2005 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >