Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case | iLounge News

Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, February 8, 2005
News Categories: iPod shuffle

pic iLounger “Helixipod” has built an outstanding hard shell case for his iPod shuffle. The machined aluminum case does away with the idea of using an end cap and is one of the best iPod protectors we’ve seen come from an individual—and the first third-party hard case for the iPod shuffle. He said it was made on a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) milling machine and allows access to all ports, controls, and LEDs.

“I’ve had my iPod shuffle for a couple weeks now and I’ve been carrying it around with me in my pocket. I love it and use it more than my fourth-generation 40GB. I couldn’t find any shuffle hard cases available yet, but I wanted to protect it so I just made my own,” Helixipod writes in the iLounge forums.

“The front and back half of the case are joined together by 4 very small screws. I have no need to take it out of the case anymore,” he explains. “The headphones come in from the top, USB from the bottom, and there is also a window on the back for the on/off/shuffle slider and battery button. It is lined on the front, back, top, bottom, and sides with black velvet.”

Helixipod said his aluminum case adds 20 grams to the iPod shuffle, bringing the total weight to 42 grams—just under 1.48 ounces. The design does, however, require a female USB cord to charge/sync the device.

Click “Read more” for four large images of the case.

pic

pic

pic

pic

« Tunewear intros Prie PodWallet

‘Military-like’ protective case for iPods announced »

Comments

That case alone is reason enough for me to get a Shuffle.

Posted by Hukes on February 8, 2005 at 9:39 PM (PDT)

WOW great design and good looking too.  Put me on the list!!!

Posted by Moshman in USA-CA on February 8, 2005 at 11:20 PM (PDT)

Would be very interested to get one, too

Posted by mkummer on February 9, 2005 at 1:19 AM (PDT)

*whistles* I’d be happy to give you money for one of these. You should seriously consider making more.

Posted by lucygoosey on February 9, 2005 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

Welcome to your second career !

Beautiful piece of work.

Posted by Boris34 on February 9, 2005 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

for those ambitious enough, check out emachineshop.com

you can use their free CAD program and design something like this and they’ll fabricate it and ship it to you

Posted by ACLeroK212 on February 9, 2005 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

amazing.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on February 9, 2005 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

Super job! Love the nice bevelled edge around the wheel.

I’m always amazed at how much others (and myself) are willing to pay for iPod accessories.

So, please let me kow when you have enough to sell!

Posted by californiagrl in SF Bay Area on February 9, 2005 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

BTW, there are a number of 3rd party shuffle cases—mostly silicone—being sold on eBay these days. They are not nearly as nice as this one, but but worth a look anyway for those of you who want some protection before hard cases become widely available.

Posted by californiagrl in SF Bay Area on February 9, 2005 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

This is awesome quality.  Put me down for one if they go production. smile

Posted by Xenious on February 9, 2005 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

I heard about this shuffle case from Korean apple user site. This is something I was searching for!!! I’ve been using Shuffle for about 3 weeks. Helixipod, if you ever gonna put this case in production please post a info here. thanks smile

Posted by appletigger in Los Angeles, CA USA on February 9, 2005 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

Excellent job. Put me down for one.

Posted by JoeS in Austin on February 9, 2005 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

Gorgeous, Put me down for one!

Posted by 34513451345134534513 in Uk on February 9, 2005 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

HelixiPod:

I have a 40 gig, 4G, would kill for one of your cases for it…..  Please keep us updated….

Posted by AndyDK in USA on February 9, 2005 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Thats seriously sweet! this make me want an iPod shuffle even more now…
i wonder if it could have flames or a pattern engraved on it?

Posted by El Gato in Australia-Melbourne on February 9, 2005 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

Nice job, Helixpod. The number one suggestion I have is to make it so you don’t need a USB cable, as one of the things that makes the shuffle great is that you can just push it into a usb port. I remember that one of the prototype flash ipod designs (the contest ipodlounge had) included a somewhat ipod shuffle-like device with a usb port similarly inside like yours. The difference was that with this you could click it (the same way you click a pen) and it would come out. If you could implement something like this it would be perfect.

Posted by catboy17 on February 9, 2005 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

Good job with the milling machine Helixpod, wanted to make one of my own with stainless steel for my 60GB iPod (when and if I had the time for it) but I changed my mind cause it would be too much of a hassle taking it out every time I wanted to put it in to my SoundDock, but now I think it’s definitely worth it. Aluminum is good choice for the weight but you can’t give it that near mirror finish with a flat bed grinder, but what the heck I’ll make two, an aluminum one and a stainless steel one.
And by the way which grade of Aluminum did you use? 3003-H14? And how long did it take you to design and machine it?
Again Great job.

Posted by Yasser on February 9, 2005 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

put me down for one. have you thoeght about laser engraving?

Posted by pizzamat on February 9, 2005 at 10:20 PM (PDT)

sweet!! Like pizzamat says what about engraving?  And put me on the list for the 4g 20gb pod!!

Posted by Carmen in NYC on February 10, 2005 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

It is quite amazing… iPod users in general are just more creative and skillful than the rest of the crowd. I have an iPod Photo and would love to have one of this made to order smile
Good JOb!!!!

Posted by floridante2k on February 10, 2005 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >