Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case | iLounge News

Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case

pic iLounger “Helixipod” has built an outstanding hard shell case for his iPod shuffle. The machined aluminum case does away with the idea of using an end cap and is one of the best iPod protectors we’ve seen come from an individual—and the first third-party hard case for the iPod shuffle. He said it was made on a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) milling machine and allows access to all ports, controls, and LEDs.

“I’ve had my iPod shuffle for a couple weeks now and I’ve been carrying it around with me in my pocket. I love it and use it more than my fourth-generation 40GB. I couldn’t find any shuffle hard cases available yet, but I wanted to protect it so I just made my own,” Helixipod writes in the iLounge forums.

“The front and back half of the case are joined together by 4 very small screws. I have no need to take it out of the case anymore,” he explains. “The headphones come in from the top, USB from the bottom, and there is also a window on the back for the on/off/shuffle slider and battery button. It is lined on the front, back, top, bottom, and sides with black velvet.”

Helixipod said his aluminum case adds 20 grams to the iPod shuffle, bringing the total weight to 42 grams—just under 1.48 ounces. The design does, however, require a female USB cord to charge/sync the device.

Click “Read more” for four large images of the case.

pic

pic

pic

pic

« Tunewear intros Prie PodWallet

‘Military-like’ protective case for iPods announced »

Comments

Hmm, maybe I will by a Shuffle.  Put me on the list too.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 10, 2005 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

Hey guys!  A quick update here…

[B]The cases are now in production and I am working my tail off to try to get the first shipments out by the end of next week![/B]

Pricing still remains undetermined, but I will post a webpage with additional info, pics, and pricing in the coming days.

For those that haven’t seen my full size iPod cases, here’s a link to a page with 3 pics of the 3G version that I did last summer…

[B]CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PICS OF ONE OF MY FULL SIZE IPOD CASES.[/B]

I will post pics of the 4G version as soon as I get a chance.  These styles are being made as well!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments and the continued support.

Posted by Helix in So. Cal. on February 10, 2005 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

I’m definately interested… if you could let me know extra info as it becomes available I’d be very appreciative.

Posted by Dodge in Vancouver, BC on February 10, 2005 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

Sweet case no doubt. Put me in line for one as well. Thanks.

Posted by upnadam on February 10, 2005 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

I would be interested in buying a Helixipod. It looks really cool and is obviously well-designed and skillfully made. Don’t cheapen it when you start producing it. I’ll check back for updates…really nice job!

Posted by DLeeWebb in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on February 10, 2005 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

Where do you get those USB cables…? I have never had need to buy one…

Posted by DLeeWebb in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on February 10, 2005 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

ya…that thing is pretty sick. however…the 3g one is the coolest lookin case i have seen. mad props. i hope you make a nice lil fortune of these bad boys helix

Posted by jTizzle on February 10, 2005 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

off*

Posted by jTizzle on February 10, 2005 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

[B]Hey guys!  A quick update here… as of Feb. 10th…[/B]

[B]Additional cases are now being made.
I am working my tail off to try to get the very first shipments out by the end of next week!

If you are interested in buying one, email me here at   .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). [/B]
I’ll add you to the list and let you know when they become available.  They will be sold on a first come, first served basis for a while.

Thanks!

Posted by Helix in So. Cal. on February 10, 2005 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

that’s so pretty.

Posted by Maria V in Boston, MA on February 12, 2005 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

How about one that can be hung from the neck?  smile

Posted by Fender on February 13, 2005 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

Wonderfull job. Put me down for one

Posted by 1980 in italy on February 15, 2005 at 12:04 AM (PDT)

WHOA! Definitely a must show in a back to the future Antiques road Show. Definitely.

Early 21st Century iPod Art!

PLEASE PLEASE PUT ME ON THE LIST. : )

Posted by iBop in 01002 on February 16, 2005 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

Vry vry nice.  If it was kept affordable, I’d snag one in a second!  I hope this baby can make room for the USB cap.  I’d hate for my USB to get gunked up.

Posted by Houstion, we have a problem... in Seattle, WA on March 10, 2005 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

Let me know if your selling it

Posted by Francesco Ricchi on January 15, 2006 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

Nice Ipod case, good job designing it. Just how much are they ?

Posted by andrew smith on March 6, 2006 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

The craftsmenship is excellent. I have a 60 gig ipod with video. Can you fabricate a case for me. Name your price.

Posted by Anthony on April 22, 2006 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3