Customized iPod auto install | iLounge News

Customized iPod auto install

Ryan sent us info about his new website with photos of a shiny, slick, customized docking station being built for his SUV - complete with a backlit Apple logo. “My friend, who is a auto audio installer made this for my Ford Explorer. I am building the site, but am just now learning, so the site sucks but we just wanted the photos up a.s.a.p”

« iPod to support Windows Media Audio?

Music industry hopes paid downloads will save the day »

Comments

Wow, that’s all I can say…just WOW!!!!!!!  That blows away all the plans I had for a custom install in my car…DAMN that’s awesome and the apple logo is a sweet touch and it all lights up too.

Posted by thrice on January 11, 2004 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Nicest install EVER.

Posted by digitaltrapper on January 11, 2004 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

That really does look ugly, the front of the car is dominated by a cheap looking shiny peice of plastic. Imagine it in sunlight - yuck. I’d much prefer a simpler installation that doesn’t dominate the car.

Posted by Adam on January 11, 2004 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

No problem with sun Adam, windows are tinted. The cheap looking plastic is actually the stock piece sanded, primered, sanded, primered, painted, and clear-coated.

I guess you missed the point of the install:

ANYTHING you want done CAN be done!

If you want something more basic, and practically unnoticeable, that is going to be done more easily and we just kinda came up with and idea to show that you dont need to just use an fm transmitter or cassette adapter, and don’t have to use some wierd holder. You can actually use the dock in your car like you do in your house.

No big deal, it is all preference. This was supposed to be a bit of inspiration for folks to do something new.

If you want to see something a bit cleaner, he is doing his GTI next, and that might be more along your lines.

Hopefully I can learn a bit more html to finish the site soon.

Peace

Posted by Ryan on January 11, 2004 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

Ryan great jpb although I am intersted about the

“sanded, primered, sanded, primered, painted, and clear-coated.”

Process.. did youdo this yourself? if so what did you use as far as supplies and how long did it take?

Posted by Bababooey on January 11, 2004 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

beautiful.  makes me want a custom install now….

Posted by specialx on January 11, 2004 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

Real clean design!  I have a VW Passat, so I’m really looking forward to a similar install in the GTI.

Posted by RoMoFo on January 11, 2004 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

Thanks for your positive feedback guys! I spent many, many hours building and painting this piece and am really glad that it’s appreciated. I should have my GTI install up and running within the next two weeks or so…Check the site!

Posted by 1.8tuner on January 11, 2004 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

Looks Kick A**
Maybe for a 2nd Generation, you could cant/turn the iPod toward the driver to get a better viewing angle, so it faces them. Otherwise, I would love to build one for my Tahoe.

Posted by No Share on January 11, 2004 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Not my thing, but cool if you like that sort of thing. Good job.

Posted by monkedsel on January 11, 2004 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

Cool, so thats my buddy right there, 1.8Tuner.

Bababooey, I didn’t do a dang thing but sand off some of this rubbery stuff that was on the factory pieces. 1.8Tuner did everything, cause thats what he does, so maybe he could tell you more, but from what I understand it is a lenghty process used by fabricaters, and body shop/painter folk. We first thought of a step by step gallery, but after discussing it for a while, we opted to leave some (a lot??) of photos out because kind of like a magician, if he were to disclose everything he did, all the trouble shooting etc. then that just wouldnt be right. All I can say is, try making that tiny apple and lighting it evenly with two led’s and you’ll understand. That is why he is so highly sought after here in Atlanta. The dude is so good he just gave a demo at CES yesterday!

You know, this extensive of an install is not for everyone (you should have heard our ladys comments!) but that is totally not the point. Some folks just love to mod, while some love and demand stock. But this is MY car and his mastery and visual creation and like Burger King, we wanted it our way. Your way might be similar, or completly diferent and that is the point. THINK. Think about what YOU want because its 2004 and some of these audio/auto fabricators can do ANYTHING you want.

Seriously though, thanks for the positivity, we are both really stoked on how this came out and you will definatly see more of his iPod installs in the coming weeks. (wait till you see what he does to rear view mirrors!)

Peace.

Posted by Ryan on January 11, 2004 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

that is HOT! i love it!
now even more reasons for me to eagerly await getting my car, only 8 months now. counting the days

could you be REALLY DETAILED on how you did it on the site please? i really want to know how you did it, priming and painting and fitting and then connecting the electronics

ill definitly make sure i can do this when im looking for my car

about how much did it cost you to do this? does it charge it and play through the stereo? and do you have controls or anything in the car?

having controls on the dash or near the wheel would be cool. i would also like to see a smaller, cleaner, but still cool looking new design

my ideal would be have a charger/stereo input thats smaller but still has the glowing apple and dock and is easy to control through the car

ryan, i eagerly await the site. so hurry up already! and get crackin with the GTI

great site, great pics, and great work
washer

Posted by washer on January 11, 2004 at 6:34 PM (PDT)

ryan or 1.8tuner-
if you cant tell the secrets of the trade, where can i learn?
i live in north carolina in winston-salem and when i turn 16 soon will get a new car
i would really like to mod it to doc my 40gig pod, but i dont want to screw up my car doing it blind if you know what i mean.
so just keep this in mind that some people dont live near the big atl and cant have 1.8tuners great expertice and artistry, so give us a bit of leg up!

again, great work guys
washer

Posted by washer on January 11, 2004 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

Nice, can’t wait to see more works.

Posted by Sam on January 11, 2004 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

Good point Dreier,

ill let 1.8 do this one. Give it a day or so for him to get back from Vegas

Its great to see folk nearly as excited as we are!

Posted by Ryan on January 11, 2004 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

thanks a ton ryan

and when you read this 1.8tuner-
you and your work is AWSOME!!! how long did it take you to get that good at fabricating? thats always been one of those things i have really admired and wanted to learn how to do

and uh, no, im not trying to butter you up or anything, of cource not

Posted by washer on January 11, 2004 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

I feel so inferior with a tape adaptor and a cup holder now smile

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 11, 2004 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

That is truely awesome…

Posted by mongoos150 on January 11, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

What did you do with all the switches that were there before?
Really sweet and clean work!

jojo

Posted by jesaja on January 12, 2004 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

JoJo,
I bought the factory piece that only has pockets to replace the piece that has the computer, and we cut that up instead, so when I sell the car, a switcharoo of a couple pieces and its stock. 1.8 Tuner wants ro put the switches in the glovebox, but I really dont care about them much smile

Posted by Ryan on January 12, 2004 at 2:59 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >