Customized iPod auto install | iLounge News

Customized iPod auto install

Ryan sent us info about his new website with photos of a shiny, slick, customized docking station being built for his SUV - complete with a backlit Apple logo. “My friend, who is a auto audio installer made this for my Ford Explorer. I am building the site, but am just now learning, so the site sucks but we just wanted the photos up a.s.a.p”

« iPod to support Windows Media Audio?

Music industry hopes paid downloads will save the day »

Comments

Did he create Darth Vader’s helmet too? Very sleek. Good job.

Posted by gbpod on January 12, 2004 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

Looks a bit weird in a few of teh pics, Black doesnt seem to go in one or two of them.
Other than that it loosk really nice and it a good idea other than using Fm Transmit things..

Wouldnt mind one in me beetle.. Errr, lol..

SiMON

Posted by SiMON on January 12, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

very nice.  a little too shiny for my tastes, but definitely very nice.  That’s gotta be the best car install I’ve seen - Good job!

Posted by me on January 12, 2004 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

Using Mozilla 0.7 on Windows XP, the large photos don’t show up.  Can’t see much with only the thumbnails.

Posted by Mozilla on January 12, 2004 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Dreier,

I have been building custom pieces for cars since I was 13 and am now 29. However, it obviously didn’t take me 16 years to get proficient with it. I got better every day with every new task…I just did two brief training classes at CES for a company called Select Products, who do these trainings at every big audio show there is (NOPI, SEMA, CES, Spring Break Nationals, etc). They also sell videos that explain to some degree some of the the secrets behind this type of thing, but I’m not sure I’d reccomend them, as they tend to kind of glaze over the hardest parts and act like they’re easy. Maybe check them out, but there are also fabrication classes put on by Rockford Fosgate (RTTI), Ritop School, Steve Brown (who builds the Alpine demo vehicles), Dave “Fishman” Rivera, and many others. Search car audio fabrication schools and you will find many. The best are the RTTI, Fishman and Steve Brown schools (unless, of course, I’m doing one at the time..haha). Experience, however, is always the best teacher. Over the years, I have challenged myself and customers have challenged me to do the most ridiculous things you could imagine to cars, so all of those little challenges give you hands-on training on how to accomplish nearly any goal, no matter how strange it may be. For example, I have motorized trunklids, dissasembled in-dash motorized monitors and fixed-mounted them, relocated air conditioning controls, relocated engine computers, put nitrous bottles in crazy motorized assemblies, replaced factory clocks with radar detector displays, made subwoofer enclosures that look like jet engines, etc…You just have to get in there and do it, but make sure that whatever parts you are practicing on are replaceable until you become skilled enough to do something crazy like build an entirely new trunk, dash or doorpanel for a car. It’s good to hear that there are people out there interested in the “how” and not just the “why” or the “wow”. Thanks to you and to everyone else who posted for your interest!!! Please feel free to email me from the site if you’ve got more specific questions, as that is what I’m here for…

Posted by 1.8tuner on January 12, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

1.8Tuner:  You MUST put up pics of your GTI install.  I know I’m not the only VW owner here who is trying to find a nice way to do this.

Plus, you could go into business making a limited run of these for VWs.  I’d certainly be interested in one.

Posted by turbora on January 12, 2004 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

thanks 1.8tuner
sounds great. i dont really have time/money for classes or anything. id just like to try out a few projects such as the ipod dock.  once i get my car, ill be sure to check back with you, so keep that site up!  i just want to make sure that before i start a project that im not just screwing up my car, id like to start with something small that i could easily switch back to the stock. but i guess ill have to wait till i get my car. waiting…always waiting…

thanks again
dreier

Posted by washer on January 12, 2004 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

1.8tuner,

You say you’re in Atlanta?  What’s your website url?  Like to see other samples of your work..

thx,
Teeg

Posted by Teeg on January 13, 2004 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

Teeg,
  His site is http://tunertricks.com but unfortunatly i am learning how to build sites by doing his site so it is just taking a while. Their is a lot of photos to put up and a ton of info, and I think even a 6mb video. Hold tight if possible or email him direct for anything specific or timely. Oh, I can tell you to look at the Gallant he did on the frontpage of importatlanta.com. I was lucky enough to ride around with him in this car when it was done, and that was the first, in person experience, I have ever had with a car of this caliber. I didn’t even know people were doing this kind of fabrication, let alone my friend was that dang good at it!

Posted by ryan on January 13, 2004 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Wow.  Very nice install.  Truly impressed.

Posted by Z on January 14, 2004 at 1:59 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2