Data plan poll ends, iPhone 4 pre-order poll begins | iLounge News

Data plan poll ends, iPhone 4 pre-order poll begins

After more than 3,000 votes from iLounge readers, our latest poll—“How will AT&T’s new iPhone + iPad data plans affect you?”—has ended. Readers were given choices of sticking to their unlimited plan, using the $15 or $25 plans, saying they aren’t interested in any AT&T plan and the company’s exclusivity was keeping them from purchasing an iPhone, saying they were in the U.S. but weren’t interested in the iPhone regardless of available plans, and saying they lived outside the U.S.

A majority of U.S.-based readers—56%—said they were sticking with their current unlimited plan, followed by 17% who said they weren’t interested in any AT&T plan, and that the company’s exclusivity was keeping them from purchasing an iPhone. Equal percentages of U.S. respondents—12%—said they were switching to either the $15 or $25 plans, while only three percent said they weren’t interested in the iPhone regardless of available plans. 11% of overall respondents lived outside the U.S. Thanks for all your votes!

Our new poll focuses on Apple and AT&T recent’s iPhone 4 pre-order problems. We’d like to know if they impacted your opinion of either company. Did they make you lose respect for AT&T, or Apple, or both, or did they somehow help you to gain respect for either or both companies? Or was your opinion unaffected, or do you have no opinion at all? Our new poll, “Has the iPhone 4 snafu changed your opinion of Apple or AT&T?” lets you answer that question. As always, you can find the iLounge Poll in the left hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage. Cast your vote today!

« Echofon Pro updated for iPad

Parrot AR.Drone release date and pricing announced »

Comments

The option should be “Yes, I lost more respect for AT&T…”, as I’m pretty sure anyone who has had an iPhone for a decent amount of time doesn’t have a lot of respect for AT&T in the first place.

Posted by Dave on June 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

World’s biggest cry babies = iPhone owners.  I guess this is the first time anyone has tried to sign up for something released on the internet and seen websites crash.  I’d say this is probably the hundredth time at least I’ve seen this.  I don’t know why you wouldn’t expect some kind of problem with this stuff.

@1, I’ve had an iPhone since June 29, 2007 and I have zero intentions to leave AT&T.  I’ve lost respect for niether company.  Stuff goes wrong, it’s life; deal with it people.

Posted by sting7k on June 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

I have iPhone and I don’t have any major problems with it. I don’t use it as much for data usage on the go as that wasn’t the deciding factor for me. I used to use a blackberry and carry an iPod touch I figured it would be best to merge the two instead. of carrying multiple devices.

Posted by step on June 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM (CDT)

2 & 3: Maybe you’re lucky, but if you read through the articles on iLounge, you tend to find what most people do, that AT&T’s network is pretty terrible. I live in a large city and will regularly be at the heart of the downtown area and find myself unable to get reception on two different iPhones (which I’ve had since December of 2007, as long as we’re clarifying). AT&T’s network upgrades have been marginal and left a lot of people asking for upgrades or a switch to Verizon.

Maybe you are the people AT&T looks for when asking about their customer service…

Posted by Dave on June 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM (CDT)

I’d prefer an option of “I’ve lost respect for Apple but not AT&T”. I’ve already lost as much respect for AT&T as I likely will prior the preorder fiasco, but it’s Apple that I am surprised with.

Posted by Jord@n on June 17, 2010 at 8:06 AM (CDT)

I didn’t really lose much respect for either. As #2 said, stuff goes wrong. 600,000 pre-orders is way higher than I would have expected from a device simply releasing the latest update. Radio Shack will also be a release day seller. They did not pre-sell, but they took reservations based on the estimated number of iPhones they will receive. Every Washington D.C. area Radio Shack I called (that was about 8) had run through that number in under an hour. And that is a no guarantee reservation. They may get half the number of iPhones they estimated.

#4 - The iPhone itself is what is causing the AT&T network to be so awful. If Verizon had been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone, the Verizon network would have sucked as well. If Apple developed a Verizon iPhone and ended the exclusivity with AT&T, then we would see the Verizon network get a bit worse and the AT&T network a bit better. That is really the way to go. I just can’t wrap my head around Apple continuing the exclusivity knowing that soooo many Verizon customers are chomping at the bit for an iPhone. I know AT&T is paying Apple well to stay exclusive, but I would think iPhone sales would dwarf that amount. Not to mention the kudos all three companies would get from customers.

Posted by Mitch on June 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM (CDT)

As many have previously stated, I am more surprised at APPLE’s ineptitude during the pre-sale of the Iphone 4.  I switched to AT&T for the Iphone, and haven’t noticed a significant dip in service.  Actually, most of my complaints have had to do with the Iphone itself.  This is the price that you must pay to be an early adapter.  Things always go wrong, especially if it’s the first time it has ever been attempted.  Could AT&T’s service be better? Sure, but i believe they are doing everything they can to keep up with demand.  Is this pre-order process annoying? Yes, but if you have ever tried to pre-order anything online, especially some hot new tech, than you are accustomed to disappointment and frustration.

Posted by Toure on June 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

I would have to agree with people complaining way too much. I have had a 3G, and 3GS, iPad 3G, and now iPhone 4 on the way.

I have never had an issue with AT&T to be honest. They have been there when I needed tech support (iPhone VM issue) and the service works as well as any other phone companies would with as many iPhones on their networks.

What most people do not understand is that it is not that Apple loves AT&T, but the fact that the shear cost of getting access to the iPhone for carriers is ridiculous. The increase usage will cripple companies like T-Mobile, so only Verizon may have the $$ and network to pull it off.

Picture this… one day people are simply emailing from Blackberry and sometimes using the web browser. Then BOOM… the bandwidth gets hammers from a new phone that uses the connection to browse FULL websites, push out photos and video over MMS, and then download apps.

They are going the best we can. Deal with it, or go back to a Razor..

Posted by Miller on June 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

If Apple and AT&T have disappointed you so badly, go get a droid. You won’t have to wait long and the rest of us won’t have to listen to you any more.

Posted by Dick Bacon on June 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM (CDT)