Dell delays iPod shipping | iLounge News

Dell delays iPod shipping

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2003
News Categories: Deals

There is an active thread at Macintouch about shipping delays from Dell of up to 45 days for iPods that were discounted over $80 for one day only (reported at iLounge). Other users having this issue? I bought mine on May 19, and currently there is an estimated ship date of July 7.

« The Age: Disruptive delights of iPod

Samsung backs down from potential lawsuit by Apple, redesigns iPod clone »

Comments

Got mine today. Woo hoo! Now, what to do with the old 20GB iPod…

Posted by Todd on June 11, 2003 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

No issues for me. I bought it on may 19th. A 15Gigger Ipod. And I got it last Friday.

The price is 319.10. Therefore its a 80 dollars saving.

I dont know why but maybe because I always buy stuff from Dell. For example, I bought 4 Canon cameras from dell just last year. S330, S200, and 2 S230.

All is good. Cept I am still waiting for firewire card to get in. (12.99 shipped)

Posted by tot on June 11, 2003 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

I ordered my 30gig days after it was announced, From Dell, and it came a week later.  I got it for $404 delivered.  They sell it at the best price around, received many more orders than they could possibly fill, but don’t make this out to be thier fault.  They can only get so many.  If you are a complainer, you should have ordered it before the big rush like I did, otherwise wait it out and buy some great headphones with the money you are saving.It’ll come eventually.

Posted by Steve on June 11, 2003 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

” If you are a complainer, you should have ordered it before the big rush like I did, otherwise wait it out and buy some great headphones with the money you are saving.It’ll come eventually.”

What day did you order exactly?

Posted by Celina on June 11, 2003 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

I also ordered mine from Dell when they were $404 and I just recieved mine last night.  It took so long to get here that I put off getting a firewire card until now…

Off to pick up the Maxtor 1394 cardnow.

Posted by Wojski on June 12, 2003 at 4:02 AM (PDT)

I ordered on the 15th and kept getting my ship date delayed further and further.  SO I kept calling and calling them and then I got that email on the 6th about it being delayed til the 20th and to keep my order I had to call them or they would cancel it.  It shipped later that night and I got it on tuesday.  I’m so glad to be done with this fiasco.  They’re not filling orders in a rational manner…they can’t be when you read over at the apple boards that someone who ordered on the 19th got theirs on the 2nd while I had to wait until the 10th - I placed my order 4 days earlier!!!  I emailed complaints in everyday until it shipped…doubt that did anything except to help me vent since I kept getting the same form letter back no matter what language or tone I used - funny actually.

Posted by CK on June 12, 2003 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

I ordered my 30GB iPod on 5/15 (the “Big Day”).  I, too, got a $404 price.  Initially, the shipment was delayed until 5/30.  On 5/30, I received an E-mail that said it would be 6/10.  Even before that came due, I received another E-mail on 6/6,saying that it would be delayed until 6/20.  I called Dell yesterday, but didn’t get anywhere.  I was only told that if I wanted, they’d ship it out overnight, as soon as “my turn” came.  But push Dell Customer Service; sometimes they’ll offer some “condolences”, either in the way of quicker shipping (at no cost), or sometimes even a “freebie” product or accessory, or a monetary credit.  It’s happened to me before.

Posted by Frank D Nicodem, Jr. on June 12, 2003 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I ordered on the 15th of May, and it will soon be a month with no iPod in sight.  I don’t mind waiting a while for a discounted product like this, but things are getting ridiculous

Posted by icruise on June 12, 2003 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

Where is the best deal on a firewire card for the PC?  Someone above mention a $13 one.  Any recommendations?

Posted by Mat Fleck on June 12, 2003 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

Same story. Ordered 30GB iPod on 15th for $404, etc. I received the Dell email saying my order would be cancelled if I did not reconfirm, but if I reconfirmed it would ship no sooner than 6/20.

I reconfirmed, it shipped that night.

Not happy with Dell.

Posted by John Faughnan on June 12, 2003 at 7:47 PM (PDT)

Hey, everybody here’s my story, I hope it will help someone:

I ordered a 30GB iPod on 5/15, my first ship date was 5/30, my current ship date is 6/20.
I read a thread on iPodding about Dell offerring ADDITIONAL discounts. I called Dell’s 800-624-9897 number on Wednesday 6/11, the CSR offered to “expedite” my iPod. I then politely asked “is there any chance of a discount, since the order date was 5/15?”
CSR asked if I was going to cancel my order without a discount-
I said “No, but the iPod was a ‘graduation’ gift, and it was too bad ‘my son’ did not get it for graduation”
CSR replied that if I did not receive an email in 24 hours that the iPod was shipping, to call back they might be able to give a 15% discount.
Fair enough.
No email, called back today, again inquired on shipping status, nothing new, still back ordered.
So I ask if it is possible to get a discount, relating the ‘graduation gift’ story.

“Would a $100 discount be ok?”

30 GB iPod $304.00

Posted by BanjoMan on June 13, 2003 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

Have faith/luck!
I ordered mine about a week ago and the estimated ship date was July 6th!!! But then noticed it shipped from dell on June 9th and I got it on the 11th of June! Pretty awesome. I was definitely freaked out and dejected but it ended up OK….

Posted by rob on June 13, 2003 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

I also ordered my 15 gb ipod on 5/15 from dell at the price of $ 314 or so..I got the emails and waited and waited..The last email said they would cancel if I did not respond in 2 days..I did respond only to find ou the ipod shipped before the last email..Their discount makes it work the wait..remember these come by boat from taiwan.I got it on June 12 at 5pm..

Posted by wozman on June 14, 2003 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

Steve wrote:
“They sell it at the best price around, received many more orders than they could possibly fill, but don’t make this out to be thier fault.”

YES IT IS THEIR FAULT!  They have forecasting methods that will tell them if they price @ X, they will sell X.  They priced it at the discount FULLY KNOWING they could not fill the orders and would dissapoint a lot of customers with a long wait…

For those that got one on time, it was a good deal…but for Dell, it was not worth the negative impression of being out of stock…

Someone at Dell probably got an A$$ chewing for pricing it this way…

Posted by Rover on June 16, 2003 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

i beat you all.  i ordered may 15th!!!! mine is still backordered.  what the ####

Posted by yourmom on June 18, 2003 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

opps… i meant to say i ordered may 14th.  i dont see why people that ordered the 15th and later got it shipped before me.

Posted by yourmom on June 18, 2003 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

Yes, I too ordered my 30gb on 5/15 for the great price.  Dell’s site still shows my ship date as 6/3, but when I call it is still backordered.  I supposed to call back on Monday after they “reserch” why there is no date to ship, but they still show as backordered.  I asked if they were taking additional orders, and they said no, but they ARE filling the backorders.  I have an old 20gb, PLEASE tell me that this is worth the wait!

Posted by dymk on June 21, 2003 at 10:25 AM (PDT)