Dell quietly exits digital music player market | iLounge News

Dell quietly exits digital music player market

image

Several iLoungers note that Dell’s last remaining digital music player, the DJ Ditty, has quietly disappeared from the company’s online store. The DJ Ditty, a flash memory-based player that competed with the iPod shuffle, was the last player offered by Dell after the company discontinued its hard drive-based line of DJ players in February. Dell’s DJ Life website currently links to error pages for ordering, and the company’s online store now only sells media players from Sandisk, Samsung, Creative, Archos, and iRiver. Members of Dell’s message boards also note that the Ditty is no longer to be found in the company’s monthly catalog and that the player was briefly available at a discounted price earlier this month.

« XtremeMac debuts InCharge Traveler, MicroPack

ABC News programming added to iTunes Music Store »

Comments

Ha!

Posted by unreal on August 22, 2006 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

I loved my G1 DJ, bought in 12-03. For the day it was better than the Ipod by quite a bit, especially battery life (mine got 20 hours), and cheaper to boot. I never had any trouble with it. RIP Dell Djs!

Posted by TheBigNewt on August 22, 2006 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

There’s one admission of defeat down.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on August 22, 2006 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

I guess they finally admitted that the iPod is king. Seriously, though. Does any company besides those idiots at Microsoft actually BELIEVE that they can outsell the iPod? I read that iPods take up 75 percent of all MP3 players being solf in the U.S. If it was 2002, Microsoft might have a chance with the Zune player, but its 2006 and the iPod is too widespread for Microsoft to even make a dent in its quarterly earnings.

Too little, too late, Microsoft.

Posted by Kal Varnsen on August 22, 2006 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

at the time I got a G2 DJ as a gift, the ipod video was going for the same price. At times I wish I had simply cause I have an adapter to voice record on the DJ which i loved. I only exchange b/c i was under the impression the ipod 5g could record out of the box.

Posted by DorianK on August 22, 2006 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

Are they just getting rid of overstock because I just went to the website and they still had dj dittys for sale under the mp3 player catagory?

Posted by davidejr on August 22, 2006 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Frankly,I think the Dell DJs were nice looking devices. If they’d created an attractive music management program to join them, they might have fared much better. Dell & Microsoft should have gotten their ducks in a row 3 years ago.

Posted by Derek on August 22, 2006 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

Damn, if this thing was designed with a serious ugly-stick to begin with…it was probably put out of its misery with the same stick.

R.I.P.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on August 22, 2006 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

I like my Dell DJ when I was looking at them the DJ was cheeper, held more music, and I thought that the design was just better than the Ipod. I will miss it.

Posted by Bebop on August 22, 2006 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

I still have my DJ 15 and it works great. To be honest, I think the sound is even better than all of the Ipods I have (I have a Nano, a Shuffle and a Video Ipod). PLUS, it has a customizable EQ - a big plus in my book. Still, its the software and accessories that have made me stick with the Ipod.

Posted by Double Crown Records on August 22, 2006 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

I still have and still use my Dell DJ 15.  Its truely a great player, the ditty however, sucked.

Posted by Crackerstein on August 22, 2006 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

Another one bites the dust!

Posted by Mr. Anderson on August 22, 2006 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

not saying that Dell’s player was a good one, but some people here seem a little euphoric when a companies exits the market.

If there are only iPods in the future how boring would that be? Everyone would have one and everyone would be at the mercy of Apple’s pricing structure and will to fix or not fix a bug or implement a certain feature.

Posted by tom on August 22, 2006 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

True Tom, but Dell never designs good products.  They don’t put much pressure on Apple.

Posted by Michael Dell on August 22, 2006 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

“I have a Nano, a Shuffle and a Video Ipod”

Shame you can’t spell then.

iPod nano

iPod shuffle

iPod (5G)

Why so many people get in a muddle with Apple product names is beyond me.

Posted by mark lar on August 23, 2006 at 3:50 AM (PDT)

“Dell never designs good products”?

That’s the most ludicrous statement ever.  I assume that’s why Dell leads the pc business in market share.  If Apple could provide features, value and dependability at a decent price point then maybe we would see a few more Apples in the workplace.

Posted by coprock on August 23, 2006 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

“I have a Nano, a Shuffle and a Video Ipod”

Shame you can’t spell then.

iPod nano

iPod shuffle

iPod (5G)

Why so many people get in a muddle with Apple product names is beyond me. “

Why someone trolls for ‘spelling’ mistakes is beyond me. It’s too bad not everyone is up to snuff on the newest MaContosh ipOd marketing rubbish. Uh oh!! He capitalized the “I”!!!1111eleven

Posted by regalbegal on August 23, 2006 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

The more Apple dominates, the less pressure for innovation and cheaper players. What people don’t realize is that Apple is becoming with microsoft is for Operating systems and Dell for cheap crapy PCs and laptops. The iPodG5 is proof for this. No true innovation there. Where is the built in radio option, the WiFi or bluetooth capability on an iPod? Why is SanDisk bringing out an 8GB flash player before Apple does? Because the pressure is off for Apple with a 75% marketshare. They can lean back, cash in and observe and act when necessary.
And for all, who think that the Zune will be a disaster? Remember Netscape Communicator 4.7 vs. Internet Explorer? Netscape had an 80% marketshare. They went one step off and lost it all.
So, in the hope for cheaper players and true innovations, let’s hope that Zune can bite off a bit of the iPods marketshare!

Posted by rbberni on August 23, 2006 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

<<“Dell never designs good products”?

That’s the most ludicrous statement ever.  I assume that’s why Dell leads the pc business in market share.  >>

No, it’s actually dead on.  The only reason why Dell leads in market share (although they’ve been slipping lately) is because they are the Wal-Mart of the computer world.  They’ve never been about quality, people only buy from Dell because they’re cheap.

Posted by RC on August 23, 2006 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

LOL!

They used to be A LOT about quality, but that was a while ago. Particularly when it comes to customer service. Even Dell admits it.

As for the DJ…people seem to forget that the thing was done by CREATIVE for Dell. Considering how Creative’s own players are faring in the marketplace, Dell’s own lackluster sales just mirror that. Well, at least they didn’t get them from Sony like they did with their laptop batteries. (KABOOM!!!)

Posted by flatline response on August 23, 2006 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >