Dell stops selling iPods | iLounge News

Dell stops selling iPods

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, December 19, 2003
News Categories: iPod

“Round Rock-based Dell Inc. stopped reselling Apple’s iPods in mid-November, about two weeks after the company launched its own competing MP3 player.

“We’ve stopped selling them permanently,” said Mary Fad, a Dell spokeswoman.

Both Apple and Dell declined to explain why the two companies scrapped their reselling agreement.”

« Wired: RIAA Loses Key Anti-Piracy Tool

Reader Review: ColorWare iPod »

Comments

This is old news. They stopped selling iPods as soon as the Dell Digital Junkbox was introduced. They still keep the iPod on their site for comparison purposes.

Dell.com doesn’t sell Macs either. Why would they? They have their own products to sell. When they didn’t have a portable music player it made sense to sell the iPod. Now that they have their knock-off, though, why direct customers to the competition?

Besides, who would buy an iPod from Dell anyway?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

I would and did.  And so did many Mac and Windows user.  Many Mac users are not used to not paying retail prices.  Dell heavily discounts and with stackable coupons, you easily save 20%  over Apple’s price.  Why wouldn’t you buy from Dell.  Your blind loyalty to Apple certainly seemed to be worth paying $100 more for the same thing?

Posted by Ken on December 19, 2003 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

Blind loyalty? I’m typing this on a Toshiba running Windows XP. What are you talking about?

I bought my iPod long before Dell ever even thought aboutselling the. Chill out.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Why is it that as soon as someone mentions Apple or Mac on this site that someone has to jump all over them for being loyal to Apple? What’s wrong with that anyway? Newsflash: the iPod is made by Apple!

“Many Mac users are not used to paying retail prices.” What does that have to do with it? And what kind of statement is that? Apple maintains strict price controls - like it or not - and to get discounts you have to go to a previous gen product, even if you go to a supposed discount outlet.

If you did buy your iPod from Dell you would know that they didn’t have heavy discounts on the iPod. Apple, on the other hand, does have substantial discounts on everything during numerous special events. I bought my 20GB iPod for about $30 less than retail through Apple direct with one of their education discounts. And the shipping was free. I paid a lot less than what Dell would have charged me.

Posted by Jimmy My iPod on December 19, 2003 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

jimmy, if you read ken’s post, you would’ve seen that he paid a lot less on dell than what apple would’ve charged him (i’ve heard the same experience repeated by several other people who bought ipods from dell).

judging by his 20% discount, he would’ve saved about 80$ on a 20 GB ipod.

$80 > $30 savings.

Posted by eric on December 19, 2003 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

According to my Dell rep, they’ve never offered a discount greater than 10% on current gen iPods. That’s the discount they had on it when I bought mine, too. So when the 20 GB was the top model, they offered it for $449. But my 20GB was the mid-level model when I bought it, so the Dell price ended up being higher than Apple because Dell was charging for shipping but Apple wasn’t.

Posted by Jimmy My iPod on December 19, 2003 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

I bought my 40G from Dell, $409 delivered, between discount and stackable coupons and whatnot. That’s why I bought from Dell, nobody’s yet matched that price.

Posted by bsoplinger on December 19, 2003 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

COUPONS….......

Posted by Albert on December 19, 2003 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

You ask why people dismiss you as a blind Apple loyalist then you write perjorative comments like “Dell Digital Junkbox”.

The Dell is nearly half the price of the iPod and runs for 15-20 hours on a charge. It’s playlists aren’t bad, it’s not too big, and it’s pretty light. I could do with some of that action on my iPod!

Posted by Reason on December 19, 2003 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Dell Sorry to see you go…..
6/2003 30GB iPod $309 10% discount + $50 Coupon + $100 Adjustment for 6 week shipping delay.
Think about that last one, a $100 discount for a shipping delay, anybody ever get a nickel off from Apple for a delay?
Sorry to see Dell will be out of the iPod business for a while. Of course, once the Dell DJ is buried, they will sell iPods again, figure like June wink

Posted by BanjoMan on December 19, 2003 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

“Reason” - Oops. Did I type Dell Digital Junkbox by mistake? I guess I must have mistyped. Having used one, though, that name does seem much more appropriate. I just call ‘em like I seem ‘em.

And regarding scooterkool’s “$100 Adjustment for 6 week shipping delay”... Nice! You must have much more patience than me, not to mention tolerance for completely unacceptable service. I completely agree with your last point, though.

I just feel sorry for the poor souls who wake up on Christmas morning to find a Dell DJ under the tree when they wanted an iPod. D’oh!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

oh man.. that’d actually be hilarious… if your spouse or a close family member is a mac-fan and wants an ipod… tell’em to wait until christmas, and they may get a surprise.

imagine the look on their faces when it’s a Dell DJ.. GENIUS!

Posted by eric on December 19, 2003 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

New slogan for Dell:

DUDE! I got a Dell… :-(

Posted by Sam on December 19, 2003 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Hey A-bomb, I am the one who called your blind loyalty.  I could care less you are typing on Toshiba laptop with XP.  I have plenty of PCs at home too but I use my iPod with my iBook.

So, you ask “Besides, who would buy an iPod from Dell anyway?”

Me - a dual platform Mac user who got a great deal on iPod and wish every iPod user (Mac or Win) can get one.

Posted by Ken on December 19, 2003 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

Oh, just for reference, I got my brand new 20GB iPod (2G) at Dell for $280, no tax and no shipping.

Fast forward 6 months later, Apple is charging for the same refurbed model the same price, before tax and shipping.

As for ““Many Mac users are not used to paying retail prices.” What does that have to do with it?”  It has a lot to do with it.  When many Mac users try to argue that PCs are really not that cheap, they often use retail prices and discounting the fact that many PC users buy, well, sorry for the pun, discount.

Posted by Ken on December 19, 2003 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

What, does Dell expect people to buy their player instead of just buying in iPod from somewhere else?

Posted by Mountain Man on December 19, 2003 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

If you go to Dell.com and search for “iPod”, the results you are given are Dell DJs. Yes, Mountain Man, I think that is exactly what they expect. I imagine they’ll have a rude awakening when their 4th quarter results show they made more money selling Apple’s iPods in Q3 than they will selling Dell DJs in Q4.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 19, 2003 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

“Besides, who would buy an iPod from Dell anyway?”

I did.  Twice.  Because they had the best price.  Got a problem with that?

Posted by stark23x on December 20, 2003 at 1:22 AM (PDT)

“I imagine they’ll have a rude awakening when their 4th quarter results show they made more money selling Apple’s iPods in Q3 than they will selling Dell DJs in Q4.”

I agree.

Posted by Mountain Man on December 20, 2003 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

I grabbed a 40gig iPod from Dell in the first week of November.  With coupons, I paid $410 shipped, which is lower than anything I’ve seen refurbed/ebayed.  Obviously it makes sense they’re not gonna undercut their own product, but I’m glad I got mine when I did.  Dell = mega cheap.

Posted by letdown on December 21, 2003 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >