Denmark to follow France’s lead with DRM law? | iLounge News

Denmark to follow France’s lead with DRM law?

Following France’s push for DRM interoperability, a report has surfaced that Denmark may be next in line to force Apple to open its FairPlay copy-protection technology used on the iTunes Music Store and iPod. Maersk and TDC, two large Denmark-based companies that run online music ventures, are reportedly speaking out in favor of such a law.

Henrik Olesen, product manager at Maersk’s Dansk Supermarked, told Danish-language Politiken.dk that interoperability is needed. “We would like to ask the politicians to follow the route they’re taking in France, so that it becomes as easy as possible for the consumers to purchase music legally. This will in the end mean larger gross sales for all music stores,” he said.

Gert Rieder, CEO of TDC, said that “We can only press for something like the French, because it gives the consumers as many opportunities to shop for music.” Brian Mikkelsen, the Danish Minister of Culture, said that the DRM legislation would be introduced in 2007.

« Apple leather iPod cases now available

Mix: Amazon, Apple birthday, TomTom, Vinyl »

Comments

This is great! If enough people do this apple will only have to cave in

Posted by Jonathan Keim on March 27, 2006 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

Well, it ain’t law in France yet.  And, I don’t think Denmark is a make or break for Apple.  So, if it comes down to it, Apple will close both stores.  That’ll leave the users to deal with the inferior services provided by Real, MS, Sony, Napster, etc.

Posted by The Raven on March 27, 2006 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

These laws are absurd.

Let me clarify:  I don’t like Apple’s DRM.  It doesn’t allow me to use iTMS files on other devices.  This bothers me because if I ever decide to switch away from iTunes or use something other than an iPod, I can’t (legally) keep any of the music I’ve spent money on.  HOWEVER, I recognize that Apple doesn’t have a monopoly on music distribution, and that if I don’t like Apple’s terms of use I’m able to get my music from somewhere else.  And guess what…that’s exactly what I do.  I purchase the bulk of my music in physical CD form.  This gives me the flexibility I desire, namely encoding digital files in whatever format and bitrate I desire.

Everyone who has ever purchased anything from the iTMS has agreed to be bound by Apple’s terms of use agreement.  The fact that the store has become so popular is proof that many people are willing to accept Apple’s DRM.  Nothing has prevented them from getting their music elsewhere.

Posted by juicemouse on March 27, 2006 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

I’m with you juicemouse.  Although, I actually buy most of my music on vinyl still.  That said, DRM is not just a requirement of Apple, DRM is something the record labels DEMAND of any company that is going to sell music online.  While I think it would be wise for the record labels to require that all online sellers use the same DRM technology (thus enabling any device to work with any purchased digital track, I think forcing every company that sells music online or devices for listening on the go (ipods, etc.) to make their devices or music work with everyone else is stupid and possibly impossible.  If the DRM’d track I buy from Napster doesn’t work on my iPod, who do I call.  This just opens up all kinds of issues.  The record companies are the ones that have created the problem, they should fix it.  Not the government of France or anywhere else.

Posted by BrettB on March 27, 2006 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Lining up like ducks in a row…and so it starts.

juicemouse, it’s not a question of DRM. It’s a question of PROPRIETARY DRM restricted to a single content provider, namely iTMS. It can easily be argued that if Apple had licensed their FairPlay system, none of this legislation would take place. But if you create a closed system to the exclusion of everyone else and that system becomes far and away becomes the dominant entity (as the iPod kingdom has become), then you’re just begging for someone to bring the sledgehammers in.

Posted by flatline response on March 27, 2006 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

Seems like Maersk and TDC are schemeing to buy themselves a new law for themselves.Sad how those who have the most to lose-the consumers of France and now Denmark-are gettin shafted by Apple’s greedy competitors. Lets hope the Napster and the U.S. SEC doesn’t start gettin’ any funny ideas….

Posted by ArcticW on March 27, 2006 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

All DRM is proprietary.  An “open” DRM is one that has no protection meaning it can be copied freely.  Obviously something the RIAA will never consent to.

Yeah these Danes sound like Real when it was whining about not being able to sell their songs to iPod users.

Apple probably went to the Shuffle and other lower-cost iPods partly to help cement their dominance in legal downloads.  So when the owners of these low-cost iPods look to upgrade, they would have an incentive to shop for another iPod.

But aside from the business reasons, why should Apple let other companies glom on to the success of the iPod?  Is Verizon or Vodaphone or Comcast forced to open up their network to other content or services providers?

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on March 27, 2006 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

flatline response:
I realize FairPlay is proprietary.  I thought I made it clear that that’s what I don’t like about it.

Apple invented FairPlay; they therefore have exclusive rights to it.  They undoubtedly spent a decent amount of time and money to come up with a solution that would please both the recording industry and the consumers.  Why should they now be forced (or even expected) to license it or give it away?  Shouldn’t they be entitled to profit from it?  If not, what incentive is there for a company to bring new products, services, or technologies to market?  Shouldn’t Sony, Microsoft, Creative, etc. be expected to spend their own money and time on a solution to the DRM problem, instead of Apple being bullied into giving it to them?

Should TiVo be forced to license or give their technology to local cable companies for inclusion in their boxes?  Does it matter if TiVo is a dominant player in the DVR industry or not?

Posted by juicemouse on March 27, 2006 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

Can somebody tell all these whiners to go buy something other than an iPod and get on with their lives. The iPod works this way, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. it’s that simple. There any plenty of other “MP3 Players” out there that will do what you want it to do. So what’s stopping you?

Posted by NSA247 on March 27, 2006 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

Posted by The Raven in USA on March 27, 2006 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

“All DRM is proprietary.  An ‘open’ DRM is one that has no protection meaning it can be copied freely.  Obviously something the RIAA will never consent to.”

So, what about Macrovision? I know it’s not open but it seems to be an accepted “standard” to protect DVD movies. Why not have a third party that is neither a content creator nor a content reseller control the DRM on music like how Macrovision does with movies.

Posted by Glicker on March 27, 2006 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

“It’s absolute nonsense that you can’t do what you want with your purchases from iTMS.  Burn and re-rip.  BFD.  Whiners are pathetic. “

WORD !!!!

Posted by NSA247 on March 27, 2006 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

BURN AND RE-RIP NO DUH
I can’t believe people who think they know so much still B*tch about this

=:-{[

3rd gen 40gig
2nd gen mini

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on March 27, 2006 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

“Nothing has prevented them from getting their music elsewhere.”

Glad to see that you are a Windows user, because as a Mac User, I can’t buy music for my iPod anywhere else ! Virgin, Fnac or O2 music services are WINDOWS ONLY and WMA ONLY, so it’s not compatible with Mac and Microsoft doesn’t support Windows Media for Mac anymore !

And, we can’t import music from Audio CD anymore. Now, they are all copy controled and they don’t read on Mac/PC, plus, the law doesn’t allow DRM or protection bypassing. Ripping a DVD is illegal ! (I think you have the same law in the US with the DCMA).

So, how can you put music or video in your iPod when you are on Mac without the ITMS ??? That’s not possible because of DRM (Fairplay or Windows Media, the problem is the same) !

Posted by Steph on March 28, 2006 at 2:34 AM (PDT)

“All DRM is proprietary.”

Yes, but some are not only owned by one brand. Windows Media DRM is proprietary but anyone can buy licences for his product. There are thousands of WM products in the world. But, there is only one brand of Fairplay products : Apple.

They just should licence Fairplay, no open it if they don’t want to.

Posted by Stephane on March 28, 2006 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

To hell with all drm ####. I’m against any form of drm and will never, ever buy music that limits my use of it to one computer, player or whatever. Go and install your rootkits somewhere else sony. I refuse to be treated as a thief and paying for it. Long live the French (oops, first time I ever said that) and the Danish.

Posted by Gerwin on March 28, 2006 at 2:44 AM (PDT)

@Gerwin

Do you buy DVDs?  If so you already buy DRM (Macrovision, Region Coding, etc.)

Posted by The Raven on March 28, 2006 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

DVDs are protected but Macrovision and region coding are not that restrictive. We still can play DVDs on many devices from the cheapest asian brand to the high end Marrantz or Denon DVD player.

Posted by Steph on March 28, 2006 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

@Steph

But, it is still DRM.  Apple’s DRM is “not that restrictive” either.  So, here we go again with degrees of what is acceptable.

Posted by The Raven on March 28, 2006 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

Steph:

I was not aware that the situation was different if you’re using a Mac outside of the US as opposed to a PC in the US, so thank you for pointing that out to me.  In the US, I haven’t come across a single CD which has prevented me from ripping it using iTunes (though I understand they exist).  I would not buy a CD that was DRM’d in this way.  I don’t own any DVDs or watch videos on my computer or iPod, so I have no experience there.

I am completely astounded that there are no other options besides the iTMS for you to legally purchase music for your iPod.  But since all kinds of DRM are getting in your way, I have to wonder why you insist on using an iPod instead of a solution that would allow you more flexibility.  Apple isn’t forcing FairPlay on you or anyone else; you’ve decided that you’re willing to abide by its restrictions.  I still don’t see any reason that we should be telling Apple how to run their business.

Posted by juicemouse on March 28, 2006 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >