Dension ice-Link for iPod mini-review
“The Dension Ice-Link for iPod sets out to link your ipod to your car head unit, providing control over the iPod either from the steering wheel buttons/stalk or the head unit itself, and, of course, the iPOD sound plays through the vehicles speakers.
The unit consists of a silver metallic box, slighlty larger than a box of matches, a cable to connect into your head units CD changer socket and an encapsulated PCB that connects the silver convertor box to the iPod and provides iPod charging. [click ‘Read more’]
To function the unit has to perform 2 tasks: convert the iPod’s analogue sound to a digital format that will be recognised as a CD and convert the button presses at the head unit/stalk into pulses that the iPod will recognise and act upon.
My unit is fitted to a Renault with a OEM head unit incorprating SatNav. It took approximately 15 minutes to fit and does everything it claims.
Using the unit gives the user control over Next track, Previous track, volume, FF and FR. When the radio is selected the iPod turns off and when it is selected again, by selecting CD, it turns on and resumes from the last play position. Turning the vehicle off also turns the iPod off.
Overall the unit performs very well with no discernable impact on sound quality and makes driving and iPoding a breeze. Build quality is excellent and customer service has been great. At around
- Apple adds ‘Beats by Dr. Dre’ section to online store
- Magellan intros Echo Fit sports smart watch
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Nest Protect alarm returning to stores with lower price
- Samsonite acquires Speck Products for $85 million
- Beats introduces new Solo2 headphones
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today