Dension intros ice>Link Plus car kit for iPod | iLounge News

Dension intros ice>Link Plus car kit for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 23, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic Dension has announced a new version of its ice>Link vehicle integration kit for the iPod. The new ice>Link Plus brings dual mode operation: Dension User Interface mode enables access to all iPod playlists through a combination of CD changer interfacing and the Dension menu, while iPod User Interface mode lets the user operate with the iPod control surface and maps car controls to major iPod commands. The new car kit, which will start shipping next month, also adds CD-text support to display album/artist /song information on selected radios, upgradeable firmware, and a modular design. ice>Link:Plus supports a range of vehicle systems (both factory and aftermarket) including those from Alpine, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, Kenwood, Panasonic and Sony. Pricing starts at $199.99.

« Mac: iPresent It 1.0 released

U2 digital box set now available »

Comments

wow. this looks great. but why does it have to be so expensive? anyone know of a cheaper solution?

Posted by gustafks in Minneapolis on November 23, 2004 at 6:15 PM (PDT)

Cost is probably due to their engineering. This solution isn’t the cheapest, but it’s the only one for most people with stock or aftermarket car stereo CD players that will let you navigate tracks on the ipod from the faceplate of the car stereo. This is an ideal solution for leaving the ipod in the glove box and still control it.

Posted by MisterC in Corvallis, OR on November 23, 2004 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

I didn’t like the ice>link 1.1 at all because of its lack of features, but I think the ice>link Plus is going to change that.  Dension is the ONLY company that makes iPod car kits for Europain cars like Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, etc.  I have a Renault Megane 2000 model and I cannot wait to buy this solution.

Posted by themusicman in South Africa on November 24, 2004 at 12:48 AM (PDT)

yay!  My audi has RDS radio (radio with station text info)  I was waiting for a solution to put the track info on my display!  Can’t wait to get this now!

Posted by apple juice in USA on November 24, 2004 at 4:51 AM (PDT)

On a side note, I think the iTrip should broadcast an RDS signal…  I bet that will be part of the next version.

Posted by apple juice in USA on November 24, 2004 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

My iPod is currently wired directly to my CD changer and it is awesome.  However, because I live in a colder climate I cannot just leave my iPod in the car during the winter months - way too cold.

This looks like a great product if you do actually get control and display of your iPod through your in-dash CD!

Posted by Obadiah on November 24, 2004 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

Oh joy!!!

Yet another iPod car audio integration product that won’t work with the factory radios in the new Chrysler 300c, Dodge Durango, or MY NEW DODGE MAGNUM!!! grrrrr

Posted by IDSmoker on November 24, 2004 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

I have just installed an Icelink Plus (firmware B1) on my BMW 3 (easy to install if you know how to remove the radio…) non NAV and it works great ! I do have the menus / songs titel displayed on my Radio screen.

Sound is great and integration fantastic (steering wheel command). No bugs detected so far, very robust system

Only one possible improvement related to user interface : current UI enables to browse Album and Artists not the categories, cannot understand why… Another improvement would be to be able to “jump” to specific letters while browsing (I have about 300 albums on the ipod and it is stupid to have browse one by one starting from “A”)

Posted by Stephane on September 13, 2005 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

I need a solution for my Toyota Hilux Invincible, does anyone know if the new version 4 software due Oct will handle this, the guys at Dension attending the Apple expo in paris this week are caiming it will work with the factory fit unit

Posted by Alan Martin on September 13, 2006 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

Does anyone knows if Ice link plus block the 6 CD In-Dash Factory Radio?

I want to install Ice Link Plus but I also want to keep using my CDs, or just have the ability to play someone else’s music.

Posted by DAvid on September 27, 2007 at 7:42 AM (PDT)