Dension to debut updated ice>Link:iPod at UK car show | iLounge News

Dension to debut updated ice>Link:iPod at UK car show

Dension Audio Systems will launch its updated ice>Link:iPod in-car interface at the UK’s Sunday Times Motor Show Live on May 27

« Something New at iLounge.com

iPod Mini for $231.44 Shipped »

Comments

Well, this is it. Exactly the car/iPod system I’ve been waiitng for. I can’t see any flaws with this whatsoever, except perhaps maybe possibly the price.

I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it.

Posted by agentkow on May 17, 2004 at 9:37 AM (CDT)

I have the first version in my 94 Tercel.  All I can say is that this little piece of equipment is the bomb.  Flat out awesome.  I mounted mine in the glove compartment.

I might upgrade, but I’m not sure if it’ll be worth it to me considering I already have the first one and it still works.

Posted by Twitch on May 17, 2004 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

I purchased the new version for my Jetta. Unfortunately I’ve been so slammed at work that I haven’t had time to install it. I’ll let everyone know how it works once I get it in.

Posted by Scot on May 17, 2004 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

I submitted this “review” recently here on another thread:

Just got through installing the ICELink in my Audi TT. Once I found the connector, (it would have been GREAT if Dension had told me where it was, but I found installation instructions for the TT on the PhatNoise site), it was pretty easy to hookup. The sound is great. Control is limited, but when I had a 6 disk changer in my A4, I never really did much more than let it play through the 6 CDs anyway. I love that it charges while in the cradle. Overall, I’m pleased with it. I got sick of waiting for the BlitzSafe one, so went with this one.

For installation, I just ran it into the trunk, rather than disassembling the interior to get the wire to the front. Personally, I like that the iPod is hidden in the trunk, and being used to having the 6 disk changer before, decided I could live with the trade off of not having the iPod right there.

Posted by MikeD on May 17, 2004 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

Uh, so is this newer than v1.1? If so, what’s updated?

Posted by cklinh on May 17, 2004 at 8:25 PM (CDT)

” It launches on May 24.” - I’ve had mine for over two weeks

Posted by Mat on May 18, 2004 at 3:48 AM (CDT)

This is a good looking product but the pricing is mad.  You could buy another iPod for the price of the cable after you add on what they want to charge for shipping.  Really, Apple or Belikin or anyone else should release something similar.  It isn’t rocket science to come up with a cable interface to convert iPod’s firewire cable to whatever input is on your car.

Posted by tomywomy on May 18, 2004 at 5:44 AM (CDT)

I have one for my Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD. This thing ROCKS!
IntenseOne

Posted by Intenseone on May 18, 2004 at 7:44 AM (CDT)

the pricing is about right on this. once you figure in r&d and building the two circuits. this is not merely a wire, it does have computer circuitry to convert your stereo output to the standard sony cd changer codes, and then convert those to the ipod codes.
i have had mine for nearly a month now (after also owning the previous version) and must say this is the best upgrade you could add to your car’s stereo system hands down!

Posted by andrew on May 18, 2004 at 8:06 AM (CDT)

What if the difference between the Denson iLink and using a Belkin power adapter and line into a head unit?

Do I just get to use the <<, >> and play buttons on the head unit? or is there more than that?

Posted by Rob_Quads on May 18, 2004 at 8:48 AM (CDT)

I have posted reviews of ICE>Link:iPod 1.1 (latest model) over at;
&

I did let the owners of this site know about it on March 21st and was a little bit disappointed that they made no mention of it ‘till now as I believe this to be the killer accessory for iPod (well, if you have a car as well that is :).

Posted by MusicMan on May 18, 2004 at 2:36 PM (CDT)

This is all very well, but those of us who drive X-type Jags still can’t use the damn thing. Or have I misread the blurb?

Posted by Graeme on May 19, 2004 at 5:16 AM (CDT)

Graeme - Jaguar IS in the list of supported vehicles so it looks like you’re in luck. Give Dension a call or drop them an e-mail to check for sure.

Posted by MusicMan on May 21, 2004 at 12:06 PM (CDT)

Hrm, looks as though whilst Volkswagen are amongst the supported manufacturer there’s no mention of the poor neglected polo.  Wondered if any other polo owners had had any joy with this?
Shall certainly be parting with my cash if so :)

Posted by Alex on June 16, 2004 at 8:22 AM (CDT)

Looks great! Where can you actually order the thing in the UK? And will they install it for you? I tried the icelink link above, but no joy.

Posted by Baz on June 16, 2004 at 10:07 AM (CDT)

is it not possible with this product to have both your ipod AND cd changer working? can you switchc bewteen the two or do you have to ditch the cd player?

Posted by David Natas on July 9, 2004 at 6:31 AM (CDT)