Dension USA announces new ICE-Link v1.1 auto interconnect kit | iLounge News

Dension USA announces new ICE-Link v1.1 auto interconnect kit

picDension USA today announced the release of their new ICE-Link v1.1 auto interconnect kit for iPods. The new version features the 3G cradle, a docking station which supports the 30/40GB iPod and the 10/15/20GB models with the help of a user installable spacer. Charging the iPod while in the car is effortless - just place the iPod into the cradle. For classic iPods the connection option includes a FireWire plug that connects directly into the iPod and supplies 12V DC at all times. The dock connector models now feature a variable output line voltage to match the specifications of the OEM or aftermarket amplifier system - 0.8V-1V-2V-4V. For classic iPods, output is derived from the top connector and power-on volume level may be pre-set by the end user. Mini dock cradle, dock cable, and classic iPod connection options are scheduled to be available in May, 2004, and will connect to the existing ICE-Link v1.1 module. The ICE-Link v1.1 module should be available the week of April 19.

« Apple looking into iPod mini audio problem

Windows: XPlay 2 released »

Comments

Now all we need is a miniature version for the mini…  We’re waiting Dension!

Posted by Matthew Weinreb on April 13, 2004 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

$220 for my Nissan car. I would rather upgrade the CD player for a new CD player with line-in (aux-in).

Posted by WoW on April 13, 2004 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

Just what i was waiting for. Hopefully it wont be too exspensive.

Posted by mentalcase on April 13, 2004 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

$219 for my Freelander.
Plus the cost of the proclip so i can mount it.
Waste of money IMHO

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on April 13, 2004 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

Well.. it’s kinda cool how you can control the iPod from your stereo.  Buuut.. EHH.. $250 including the clip is WAY too much for what it is.  This kit should be maybe $100

Posted by Jon on April 14, 2004 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

I’m still on the fence on this one.  The cool thing about it is controlling the iPod from your steering wheel controls - that rocks.  The bad part, the price.  Ouch.  But no one else has anything like this, so its tempting.

Posted by Nate on April 14, 2004 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Yeah, the price is tough, but the thought of just 1 cable, line out audio, charging, and steering wheel control was enough for me to do it.  I’ve been waiting, and waiting.  I have the 2003 Honda Accord and can’t replace the radio.  I was originally gonna order the original IceLink, but when I heard they had the new version at MacWorld, I decided to wait.  I ordered one today for $219.  I skipped the mount, as I want to try to mount in in the FRONT center console, so I can see it when I want to, but also keep it hidden.  Interested to see what other 2003 Accord owners think.

Posted by Dave on April 14, 2004 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

i pre-ordered this a while ago as there was never any question in my mind that this is a great accessory.  it was delivered today (can’t wait to get home and see it).  is it worth the money?  i think so since i can have my complete cd collection available to me when driving - no more having to pick 6 cd’s and then remembering to change them.  also, i justify the cost because if it was a dealer option it would probably be double.  what would be really nice is if some day car stereos came with an aux input and then any audio device could be plugged in (i think the honda element has that).  anyway, depending on my excitement level when i see this thing i may post again.

Posted by bill on April 15, 2004 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Yeah, please do post again.  I’d like to know if you like it.

Posted by Nate on April 15, 2004 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Anyone know if the connection on the 3G cradle will support the mini Ipod (even though it doesn’t fit the 3G cradle, maybe i could modify the cradle to make it fit)?

Posted by jbc on April 15, 2004 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

looks good.  40gb ipod slides right in and fits snugly.  quality looks first rate.  i plan on istalling this myself (with the help of a friend who owns an a/v store that does car installations).  i have a 2002 audi with symphony radio and previously bought the radio extraction tools on e-bay for $9+/-.  i can’t wait to do this, but it might not be until next weekend.  meantime i have to decide where to mount the craddle.  i didn’t order the proclip, but i may have to.  my first choice is to mount it somewhere on the console/dashboard, but there’s really no free space.

as for whether it’s worth the price?  when you open the box it doesn’t look like $220 worth of parts, but it’s what it can do that you’re paying for.  also, for anyone holding out hope for the blitz safe unit, forget it and order this - imho.

Posted by bill on April 15, 2004 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

So what mount does it come with?  Their web site is confusing.  Does the holster thing work with some other parts in order to mount it?

Posted by Nate on April 15, 2004 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

it come with a 2-piece craddle.  the back of the ipod craddle fits into another piece and is held there by a set screw.  the 2nd piece has a flat bottom with 4 screw holes that can be mounted to a proclip or a flat surface in your car.

Posted by bill on April 16, 2004 at 2:21 AM (PDT)

JBC please let me know how it goes with the Audi, I also own an Audi and have been considering the ICELINK for my ipod.

Posted by NAM on April 16, 2004 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

Just got through installing the ICELink in my Audi TT. Once I found the connector, (it would have been GREAT if Dension had told me where it was, but I found installation instructions for the TT on the PhatNoise site), it was pretty easy to hookup. The sound is great. Control is limited, but when I had a 6 disk changer in my A4, I never really did much more than let it play through the 6 CDs anyway. I love that it charges while in the cradle. Overall, I’m pleased with it. I got sick of waiting for the BlitzSafe one, so went with this one.

For installation, I just ran it into the truck, rather than disassembling the interior to get the wire to the front. Personally, I like that the iPod is hidden in the trunk, and being used to the 6 disk changer, decided I could live with the trade off of not having the iPod right there.

Posted by MikeD on May 11, 2004 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

Heh, trunk, not truck…

Posted by MikeD on May 11, 2004 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Alpine offers a swing face head unit model CDA-9835. This unit has a BioLite Screen that is state of the art. It also is MP3 and XM compatible. What makes this unit so sweet is that it uploads specifically from an IPOD your music and song titles. It allows you to view and make your selections on screen instead of having to fiddle with your IPOD. Unfortionately you will have to wait until later this year when the key component (a translation box thingy) is available. This is the future.

Posted by SillyBilly on May 27, 2004 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

What happened bill… not repost. I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T and was interested in purchasing the icelink.  Thier website is a little confusing but this thing is great.  Has anyone else installed this in thier Audi.  Also, does the center console pro-clip mount look tacky?  Anyone know?

Posted by KC on October 7, 2004 at 6:19 PM (PDT)