Details on iPhone Activation & Sync in iTunes
Apple has posted a new iPhone video entitled “Activation & Sync,” covering the steps users will take to setup and sync the device. The video contains a few new details on the iPhone and how it will work with iTunes. During account activation, the video shows a spot for an AT&T “Pre-approved credit check code” which implies that those who need to make other arrangements (such as a co-signatory) will probably be given a number by AT&T that bypasses the normal credit check process based on an authorization already stored in AT&T’s system. It also appears that there will be 7.23GB of free space on a new 8GB iPhone. Absent from the iPhone’s iTunes Summary tab are options for “Enable Disk Use” and Manual Mode, but it does include options for “Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected” and “Only sync checked items.”
The “Info” tab in iTunes includes settings for Address Book, Calendar, Mail Accounts, and Bookmark settings. The Address Book settings include Yahoo as a sync option, while the Calendar section has an option “Put new events created on this phone into…” which suggests that the iPhone may not directly support multiple calendars. The Sync Mail Accounts option lets you sync account settings, not necessarily account data, while the Sync Safari Bookmarks will sync your bookmarks from Safari on a Mac, or Safari or IE on Windows. Little is different in the Music, Photos, Podcasts, and Videos tabs compared to syncing an iPod, but notably absent are tabs for “Games” and “Ringtones,” which may suggest that ringtones cannot currently be replaced.
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?