Developer claim hints at imminent iPhone OS 4.0 unveiling (Updated)
A new claim by an anonymous iPhone developer suggests that Apple plans to publicly unveil the next version of the iPhone OS in the very near future. iLounge has received an email from a well-known app developer, claiming that “we’ve submitted an updated app for the new iPhone OS 4.0 software.” A separate report from earlier this month claimed that Apple would be announcing a beta of iPhone OS 4.0 and an accompanying SDK at a special event, rumored to be held on January 27. The beta SDK was said to include a tablet simulator, and make it easier for developers to adapt applications to different screen resolutions, opening the door for higher and/or lower resolution displays on future iPhones and iPods. Apple has in the past partnered with select developers to create applications on new iPhone OS releases prior to their public unveilings to be used as demos for new features of the operating systems.
Update: Though the email in question unambiguously stated that the company had developed an app “for the new iPhone OS 4.0 software,” iLounge contacted the developer for clarification and learned that the reference was a mistake: the app is now “version 4.0” released for iPhone OS 3.1, the developer has offered “sincere apologies.”
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?