DICE iPod car kits debut, MOST fiber optic integration offered | iLounge News

DICE iPod car kits debut, MOST fiber optic integration offered

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, April 10, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Dension has announced that it will will be distributing DICE Electronics’ new iPod integration kits. DICE offers three kits—Hard-Wired to MOST, Hard-wired to CDC and Hard-Wired FM-RDS—which give you “the highest in sound quality, controls from your radio and steering wheel, charging for your iPod, unlimited playlist selections and more.” The MOST kit ($400) is for Mercedes Benz and Porsche vehicles vehicles utilizing the MOST fiber optic bus. The CDC kit (from $160; Audi, Acura, BMW, GM, Honda, Lexus, Mini, Mazda, Mercedes, Scion, Toyota and VW) allows you to connect an iPod to your vehicle’s factory entertainment system through the CD changer port. The FM-RDS kit (from $160) works with all vehicles with FM radio and a universal antenna port, and offers static free FM modulation. DICE is also selling an optional $60 iPod video cradle.

« Apple discusses in-flight iTunes downloads

Sonos announces $999 multi-room digital music system »

Comments

My dad will LOVE this!!!

Posted by LawnBoy on April 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

Don’t even bother. My Icelink stopped working 2 weeks after purchase. I contacted Dension 4 times and got no response at all. This is not a good company.

Posted by Alex MacDonald on April 10, 2006 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

The Dension and the DICE kits are different. Dension kits are made somewhere in Europe, the DICE kits are US made by Dice Electronics.
As far as I know, Dension USA is a distributor who carries both brands.

Posted by iPodGuRu on April 10, 2006 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

Unless your music is encoded with the highest bitrate I can see where the fiber optic part comes in handy. As for the ipod integration in the car, everything is pretty stoneage… the price you pay for a decent car stereo is the same as an ibook… PLUS!! Most car stereo’s don’t even have an EQ aside from BASS & TREBLE

Posted by AZ on April 10, 2006 at 6:53 PM (PDT)

One of our other cars has a pretty sweet aftermarket Eclipse balanced-line h/u with RDS; in the Max this sounds like the system could be configured to work with displaying iPod data using the DICE module, something that all the FM modulated solutions I looked at previously never could take advantage of. And having a charging docking solution certainly beats the simply AUX miniplug line-in I’ve been using up until now, especially considering how my iPods LOVE to drain their batteries. For the Nissan sedan, this may be worth some serious looking into.

Posted by flatline response on April 11, 2006 at 2:54 AM (PDT)

At the same time Dension announced the release of Gateway 500 which is said to be compatible with Volvo’s XC 90 MOST. No word on the release date though…

Posted by Joe on April 11, 2006 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

iPodGuRu,
I think you may find that Dension and Dice Electronics are a bit closer than you think -

DICE Electronics, a new company founded by Dension USA CEO Alfred Barabas and President Laszlo Barabas,

Joe,
I await a solution for the Volvo MOST system (V50 owner)....

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on April 11, 2006 at 5:16 AM (PDT)

This is great and all but if it still doesnt support the new GM stereo hookups than its useless for me. 2 years and no one supports it still.

Posted by Jim on April 11, 2006 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

As far as the CDC kit is concerned: They say it works with the factory RADIO.  My question is, does it work with models that have a Nav system, and how?  I have a ‘06 TL and would very much be interested in this instead of the over-priced and over-hyped factory kit Acura tries to sell - especially if it displays song info on the nav screen.

Posted by Jonesy in NoHo, CA on April 11, 2006 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

Anything available yet other than FM modulators for an i-pod hookup for a Volvo XC90.  Mine has the high end factory unit with the factory sub-woofer.

Posted by Robert Murray on May 1, 2006 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

Have been trying to get DICE unit installed in a Mazda RX8 and now have no power to the headunit, or the A/C for that matter.  All connections intact and fuses checked out. Dension is sending a new module in hopes it corrects the problems.  Has anyone else suffered similar prob.?

Posted by Edwin on May 18, 2006 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

This unit works flawlessly in my Lexus LS430. Install was performed by Lexus dealer. I would recommend this to anyone wanting better IPod fidelity as well as song/artist display on Nav monitor…

Posted by Seatac on July 13, 2006 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

waiting to get the gateway500 installation ... but they said its not available till 4 weeks time in sydney ... wonder if anyone had try or look at the system ... currently dension will sell it for 400 euro ... anyone of you think thats worth it ... or not ... or i should stuck with those FM transmitter e.g. upgrade to airpaly boost from xtrememac ... or use one of those FM modulation kit which cos less but offer better sound quality ... please help

Posted by eric on November 7, 2006 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

I have an original Ice Link from Denison, the first run they released that didn’t come with a cradle, it plugs into the headphone jack and that other plug on the top. I love it and have had no issues. I have a 2002 Cooper and it works with my steering wheel controls and sounds excellent with my factory Blaupunk system. I was wondering if anyone with a non-nav Cooper has purchased dice. I want to upgrade because my cable is shot and no one carries them, plus I want the song/playlist display on the headunit.

Posted by Amy on January 5, 2007 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

anyone have this installed on a porsche 997 carrera? results?

Posted by shaun on June 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

got one. won’t work with my new ipod. was good while it lasted for about 2 months

Posted by Xerxes on August 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM (PDT)