Digg founder claims 4GB/8GB iPhone coming in January | iLounge News

Digg founder claims 4GB/8GB iPhone coming in January

Kevin Rose, founder of the popular Digg.com social news site, claims that Apple’s long-rumored iPhone will be released in January in 4GB and 8GB capacities. During the latest episode of the Diggnation video podcast (clip below; strong language used), Rose said the iPhone is extremely small and will have a slide-out keyboard and two-battery design—one for playing music and one for phone calls. Rose also claims the phone will work with all wireless carriers—both GSM and CDMA. Rose prices the iPhone models at $249 and $449. Rose accurately predicted the iPod nano and Intel-based MacBooks days before their release.

« XtremeMac debuts MicroMemo for 2G iPod nano

ABT iJet, Keyspan TuneView LCD remotes ship »

Comments

The only thing that will destroy the iPhone is if they insist on linking it to only certain carriers.  I would like to perhaps try a phone/ipod integrated device, but only if I can just buy it and take it to my current wireless carrier.

Posted by m. sherman on December 4, 2006 at 10:33 AM (CST)

could these guys possibly be any more annoying?

Posted by 3ntr0py on December 4, 2006 at 11:07 AM (CST)

MAN!  That was painful to watch.

Posted by Obadiah on December 4, 2006 at 11:25 AM (CST)

I agree, that WAS painful to watch. Question: When they say keyboard do they mean touchpad (like all phones have) or keyboard (like on a sidekick)? Any ideas?

Posted by urbanslaughter on December 4, 2006 at 12:01 PM (CST)

(I didn’t watch the clip) No 3G phone??  3G is now “very big” here in Asia…

Cheers

Posted by howwow in Singapore on December 4, 2006 at 12:10 PM (CST)

I did not view the video, but I don’t see how a phone with CDMA and GSM plus two batteries can be “tiny”

Posted by otaku on December 4, 2006 at 12:37 PM (CST)

both batteries might be reallllllllly small.  and isn’t the whole ‘cdma’ and ‘gsm’ thing just a chip that they put in?  i mean, just because it’s supported by all the major companies doesn’t mean that each phone will contain all of the chips, right?

Posted by bozz on December 4, 2006 at 1:06 PM (CST)

The Homer Simpsons of the pod/vidcast world…..

D’Oh Beer…..

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on December 4, 2006 at 2:09 PM (CST)

An iPhone with “Mini” Mac OS X and iTunes will be an improvement for all Mac users. If iCal and Address Book are supported, Mac users will have truly compatible, integrated software and hardware solutions. And, of course, because it’s Apple, it will just work.

Posted by Oh Blah Dee Bla Dah on December 4, 2006 at 3:35 PM (CST)

A really bad episode of Wayne’s World.

Posted by Obadiah on December 4, 2006 at 3:51 PM (CST)

That is such BS. Essentially, what he is suggesting is that you take a GSM phone and fuse it together with a CDMA phone. There’s no way all that circuitry plus two batteries will be “extremely small”, unless they plan to make it have a screen the size of dime and make it run off of hearing aid batteries.

Posted by Nobody on December 4, 2006 at 3:59 PM (CST)

I sat through 5 1/2 minutes for THAT?

It’s always funny to me when podcasters complain about the mainstream media moving into “their” medium of podcasting. These guys could learn a lot from the mainstream. Like the fact that this segment shouldn’t have been longer than a minute. If you want to be vague, be vague. But do it quickly, damn it!  :)

If this sample is indicative of their “show,” they should keep the same content but cut the length by at least 50%. Trust me, their viewers will thank them.

As for the iPhone, I’ll believe it when I see it, and only look forward to it when there are better sources than this guy. I love the idea of the dual batteries, however. That’s the primary reason why I have had no interest in a music-playing cellphone in the past. But if I can run the battery down playing music and have a SEPARATE battery for the phone—I’m interested.  :)

Posted by BJ Nemeth on December 4, 2006 at 4:14 PM (CST)

I don’t know if any one has noticed this, but when I opened my 5.5 generation U2 iPod, the expiration date on the back of the redeemable card for the free U2 music video is 3-25-2007, so, the iphone release in January and maybe an updated iPod in January is very plausable.

Posted by Tim on December 4, 2006 at 4:23 PM (CST)

Tim,

The date you’ve mentioned is the end of a fiscal quarter.  Most promotions would end on or around that date.

Posted by billybob on December 4, 2006 at 4:27 PM (CST)

I am aware of that, but it just seemed odd to me, since if they were to contiue this line, they may have overstock of these in stores after the expiration.

Posted by Tim on December 4, 2006 at 4:30 PM (CST)

Tim, I don’t follow your logic as to why that expiration date might be some indication of an iPhone release date. Please elaborate. Also does anyone have any idea whether they mean keypad (with the numbers like all phones have) or full keyboard (like on a sidekick) when they say keyboard? Thanks.

Posted by urbanslaughter on December 4, 2006 at 5:37 PM (CST)

Let me understand this:

the guys drink beer. the guys have a camera. the guys speak nonsense.

I don’t believe them.

Posted by seo on December 4, 2006 at 6:20 PM (CST)

Jesus christ, have none of you ever been to Digg?

Posted by Robo on December 4, 2006 at 7:04 PM (CST)

I really doubt what he’s saying, but he did predict the iPod Nano last year.

Posted by andrew on December 4, 2006 at 7:04 PM (CST)

wow, whats with all the complaing over diggnation? If you idiots would watch an episode of it you’d know that it’s a great podcast. And someone correct me if im wrong, but hasnt the podcast won various awards already?

Posted by dirtyblaize on December 4, 2006 at 7:07 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >