Direct-to-iPad rentals don’t transfer to iTunes | iLounge News

Direct-to-iPad rentals don’t transfer to iTunes

Movies rented from the iTunes Store using the iPad cannot be transferred back to users’ iTunes libraries, iLounge has discovered, and must be viewed solely on the iPad. When Apple introduced movie rentals as a new iTunes Store feature, it noted that movies rented using iTunes on a computer or on a portable device could be transferred to and from each other during the duration of the 30-day rental period. Movies rented from a computer version of iTunes can still be transferred to the iPad or any other Apple device, and of course, items purchased rather than rented using the iPad transfer back to iTunes in the same manner as with the iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

Unlike the Apple TV, however, the iTunes Store does not provide any notification of this restriction when renting a movie on the iPad; the information is hidden unless the user chooses the “Learn About Rentals” option, or looks within the iTunes Store Terms of Service—it is similarly buried in a just-published Apple KnowledgeBase Article on Viewing and downloading HD content on iPad. Although similar to restrictions for the Apple TV, this differs from renting movies directly on iPhone or iPod touch devices, which can still be transferred back to iTunes during the rental period.

« Apple patent application points to iTunes Concert Ticket system

Site News: iPad replaces Apple TV on iLounge main page »

Comments

Hi I’m having trouble finding rented movies on my ipad

Posted by Michael on December 29, 2010 at 5:12 AM (CST)

Is there anyway to download iTune movies to iPad faster?

Posted by Tee on December 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM (CST)

iPad loads movies sooooooo slowly, it is seriously disturbing an frustrating! I purchased my iPad to enjoy a larger screen than the iPod phone, and yet it is truly taking 6 to7 hours to load. And yes….I have deleted all other items in the hopes that would help th eipad along…..doesn’t make any difference at all. Aaaaaarrrrrrggggg!

Posted by Jennifer on December 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM (CST)

What blows me away is how shitty apple really is and all the problems and restrictions they have the biggest one being no flash yet they are taking over the world every one on plannet earth wants there iphones,ipads, and ipods. and if your like me you probly have them all yet when it comes down to it they are the biggest piece of shit ever. especially the new apple tv which you cant watch rented movies on just doesnt work also you are supose to be able to watch rented movies from your other devices and computer easily on your apple tv but that doesnt work either. bottom line is save the thousands of dollars that you spend on these devices and buy something that actually works and can play flash which the entire internet was built around.

Posted by powerported on January 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM (CST)

Less than a month ago I was in an airport going on vacation when I decided to download three movies to watch while I was away. In the next few days, I kept getting download error when it looked like it was about half way through download. I notified apple and got no resuts but they still charged me amount for 3 movies!  Now today I got a notification that I have 24 hours to watch one of them and 2 days to watch the other. The third one hasn’t been mentioned yet! But hear’s the kicker…none of them can be found on my IPad.
Comments?

Posted by Ann on March 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

Ann, there is not enough space on your iPad for the three movies.  A while back, I ran into this issue as well.  I would suggest that you could clear up some space and try again, but it looks like you posted this on the 18th and all of your movies have already expired so it wouldn’t help you this time.  Now you know!

Posted by Todd Scallions on March 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM (CDT)

Please, simple way, step by step, how do I transfer movies from my pc iTunes to my iPad?  thanks so much,

Posted by Verna on April 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

Why are some movies, which are listed for sale or rent in iTunes on my laptop, only listed for rent when I open iTues on my iPad?

Posted by Bren on May 3, 2011 at 6:48 AM (CDT)

Ann-I had plenty of space on my iPad when I downloaded movies and one of them still froze.for anyone else in this situation, it is possible to see a totally black screen when trying to get back to the movie.

You can work around this…often…by going to a movie already on your iPad,preferably one you have bought, not rented,and start playing it. This will solve the black screen issue.

Does anyone else have issues with downloads taking a long time? I do and wonder if the connection

Posted by Jameson12 on July 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

I rented a movie and it somehow disappeared after I had downloaded it. We just tried reseting it and it worked! So i would recommend reseting first if you can’t get it to work and then checking the videos app. If that doesn’t work, write apple and hopefully they’ll help!

Posted by Garrett Graves on October 1, 2011 at 2:05 AM (CDT)

As Brad (#8) correctly pointed out, even though rentals are downloaded from the iTunes app, after the download they appear in the separate Videos app under Rentals and NOT in the download section of iTunes as you’d expect.
Thanks Brad. You saved some frustration.

Posted by Bob Weiner on January 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM (CST)

Rented 2 movies on my iPad and watched them on it over a month ago.  Every time I launch i-Tunes on my desktop it is trying to download the same two movies.  What is going on???

Posted by Mark on February 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM (CST)

I wish I had read these comments before trying to download my first movie.  It takes a gazillion years, and like another individual I tried to download it from the computer to my IPad, it showed it was downloaded but the movie is nowhere on the iPad.. I don’t think I’ll be downloading any more movies soon.:(

Posted by Reginia on April 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2