DisplayMate, Anandtech corroborate iLounge’s Retina iPad mini color findings
New reports on color within the iPad mini with Retina display’s screen have corroborated what we found in our review of the device. During testing of multiple iPad mini units, we discovered that some colors looked notably faded and less vibrant on the Retina iPad mini when compared to the same colors on the iPad Air. Through a series of detailed measurements, DisplayMate notes that the iPad mini with Retina display has a 63 percent color gamut, roughly the same as the first-generation iPad mini. The color gamut “produces noticeably subdued image colors,” which DisplayMate says is “inexcusable for a current generation premium tablet.” DisplayMate ranks the iPad mini with Retina display’s screen as a “distant 3rd” behind the Google Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HDX 7.
Anandtech also noted the iPad mini with Retina display has the same color gamut as the original iPad mini. While the site does say the Retina iPad mini has a much better panel overall than the previous mini, the Air holds a “display advantage.” Apple notably has marketed the iPad mini with Retina display as “identical to iPad Air in every way,” a claim that was parroted by the company’s hand-picked reviewers.
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 cellular models available in China this week
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014