DLO announces iBoom boombox for iPod | iLounge News

DLO announces iBoom boombox for iPod

pic Digital Lifestyle Outfitters announced today that they are producing iBoom, the first and only boombox solution designed specifically for iPod and iPod mini. iBoom is a 20 watts per channel, four-speaker boombox system with built-in digital FM radio. iBoom also features a digital FM radio, built-in handle for ease of portability, auxiliary input jack and can be powered via its included AC adapter or 6 D batteries (not included). While under AC power, iBoom extends the battery life of iPod as it powers and charges iPod. DLO’s iBoom will be available in late September 2004 for $149.99. The product works with all iPods with the 30-pin dock connector, and it
comes complete with a spacer to accommodate the iPod mini. A custom carrying bag with shoulder strap will follow.

pic

« Pacific Rim Technologies announces 4G Shield hard case

Tunewear Icewear case now available for purchase »

Comments

Yeah this iboom will be a great product-
that’s the last sound you’ll here when the thief bashes you over the head with it and walks off with your ipod.
Better carry a igun..lol
Where’s my am-fm radio attachment for my ipod?Anyone out there listening?

Posted by iQpod in Toronto,Canada on August 18, 2004 at 8:34 PM (CDT)

Heck, I’d get one for my home!

Posted by Charlie on August 18, 2004 at 9:51 PM (CDT)

This is EXACTLY what I’ve wanted for my parties. Great, great idea. iTrips don’t even work in my car, how the #@#$ could i get one to work in my pocket? Look for the new iBoomer from Griffin any day now… My Sony travel speakers arent loud enough. anybody know where i can get one of these iBooms? can I preorder one?

Posted by tzalagaris on August 18, 2004 at 9:59 PM (CDT)

Hey tzalagaris—
how has the sony $30.00 am-fm been
working in my pocket for the last 12 years +?
Someone said a radio in the scheme of a itrip wouldn’t sell,baloney,but making a product that you have to keep within 2 feet of your stereo or radio will sell,
this makes no sense whatsoever!
I’v been an Apple fan longer than bill gates has,so don’t get me wrong here!

Posted by iQpod in Toronto,Canada on August 18, 2004 at 10:20 PM (CDT)

looks very tacky… all of these add ons that come out really are HORRIBLE…...

Look slike a tacky boombox you would get from kmart or something

Posted by Tacky on August 19, 2004 at 5:25 AM (CDT)

Yeah the looks arent great.. but if it really went up to high volumes I’d consider it.

The iTrip idea sounded better actually..

Posted by Syph' on August 19, 2004 at 8:23 AM (CDT)

How bout jus buying a five dollar mini to rca cable and connect your ipod to your boombox or home stereo with an aux/input.  five dollar vs. 150…thats an easy choice.

Posted by Darwin on August 19, 2004 at 11:33 AM (CDT)

“How bout jus buying a five dollar mini to rca cable”

Low quality analog with ground hum interference.

I use a $5 RCA coax to connect my Archos digital output to the digital input on my stereo and get pristine quality. Pity the Archos is a bit of a brick!

Posted by Archos on August 19, 2004 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

I too have been waiting for something like this since I got my 3G over a year ago.  This is a promising start, but I will continue to wait.  It needs it to be weather-resistant (w/iPod covered), have a remote (preferably RF) and have a built-in rechargeable battery (see Cambridge Soundworks Playdocks or Tivoli PALs) OR the ability to recharge you own installed rechargeables.

How hard would it be for ANY good sounding AM/FM/CD boombox maker to remove the CD player and use that extra space for an iPod?  If they did that I’m sure there would be plenty of room to fit an iPod (without having to remove it from it protective case!).  Then all they would need is a 30-pin, line-out connector in there as well.  It wouldn’t “dock” nicely like an unprotected iPod would, but I’m sure it would be easier than removing your iPod from it’s case.  They could practically keep the same CD “door” on the top.  It would probably be cheaper for them to make because they don’t need the CD motors, etc… all they’d need is a plug.

Just a thought

Posted by obladida on August 19, 2004 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

umm yeah this thing is relatively fugly, and I too have just gone to radioshack and gotten some ycables and hooked my little baby up to my stero at home.  My next test is going to be plugging it into the speakers that came with my long since forgotten Dell. I got some sweet altec lansing speakers with that puppy that oulasted the computer. It has a heavy sub with it, but I have a feeling that will be the best sound i get as far as travel speakers and my glory of glories, ipod.

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on August 19, 2004 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

Looks to me like all one would need is the NaviPod remote to incorporate a remote into this product.  Add a NaviPod to the DLO TransPodFM and you also have a remote solution for the car.

Posted by machemist on August 19, 2004 at 2:47 PM (CDT)

oh man! thats something i really need!

Posted by Ed on August 19, 2004 at 11:41 PM (CDT)

I agree with the comment above about just getting a 5 buck RCA cable.

If all you are looking for is getting the sound from your iPod to your little boom box a 5 buck cable will be fine.

If you are looking for top notch audio quality your not going to buy a boombox.

Posted by iLame on August 21, 2004 at 1:05 PM (CDT)

Boombox manufacturers have really been out to lunch for several years.  They’ve been focused almost exclusively on the below-$50 market.  Only two current models have auxilliary inputs (Sony CFDG500 & Philips AZ2555).  Neither one plays MP3 or AAC except via an external device connected by Aux.

I just bought a Philips AZ2555 refurb on eBay for less than half the price of this iBoom and I am quite pleased with the sound quality relative to its price.  I attachk my AirPort Express to it and it fills my back yard with sound, though it distorts like crazy when it gets above a certain volume level.  I assume an wired-in iPod would work just as well.

When, oh when, are manufacturers going to make a boombox with decent sound that plays MP3 or AAC DVDs & CDs and has a reasonable way to navigate through tracks?  (My guess is probably never.)

I suppose DLO should be applauded at least for introducing a new idea to an otherwise stagnant boombox industry.  Somehow boomboxes seem to have been relegated to the “old technology” dumpster—though they certainly fill a niche for backyard parties and the like.

Posted by MacHound on September 6, 2004 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

Check out the Hummer Boombox at Best Buy.  It has an aux input, runs on 10 D cells, has a USB input, enabling it to serve as computer speakers, and a remote.  It is pricey, though, at $200.

Posted by Bob Slone on October 4, 2004 at 12:07 PM (CDT)

Thanks for the info on the Hummer radio.  Has all the features, none of the style and way too pricey as you said.

It seems, after a google search, that is a Best Buy only item.

All I want is an inexpensive ($50) small to medium size boom box with an aux-in but you’d think I’d be asking for it to cook me dinner too.

The manufacturers rarely offer aux-in which is a shame considering the popularity of MP3 players.  As mentioned, there are few boom boxes available with the feature.

I have a G2 iPod so the iBoom appears to be out as well.  Might need to finally upgrade but what will the G5 iPod have?

Posted by William on October 9, 2004 at 1:38 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2