DLO Announces TransPod FM for 3G iPods, Accepting Pre-Orders | iLounge News

DLO Announces TransPod FM for 3G iPods, Accepting Pre-Orders

picDigital Lifestyle Outfitters today announced they are introducing TransPod FM, the newest version of their patented wireless car solution for all 3rd generation iPods with dock connectors. TransPod FM broadcasts the iPod through a digital stereo FM Transmitter, comes equipped with an auxiliary output for a cassette adapter, and charges iPod via the car’s power receptacle. The TransPod FM mounts to the car by pushing its adjustable power stick into the car’s power receptacle. DLO is now accepting pre-orders for $99.99 with shipping expected to start on December 17.

« Free iPod Engraving from Apple Store UK

Audible.com and J & R Electronics Offer $100 Rebate on iPods »

Comments

ew… that digital display is nastiness.

Posted by echostats on December 4, 2003 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

The only problem I see is the price tag.

Posted by Mark on December 4, 2003 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

Also, it’s designed for cars with verticle arm-rest cigarette lighters, not horizontal in-dash ones.  At least, that’s how that green frequency display appears oriented.

Posted by Byron on December 4, 2003 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

If it’s like the one they make for older iPods, the power plug pivots to fit in dash outlets.

Posted by lenny on December 4, 2003 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

too expensive.  too bulky.  too ugly.

Posted by too ugly on December 4, 2003 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

The last FM transmitter sucked big time. Wasn’t worth it in the least…

Posted by Sam on December 4, 2003 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

If they made it cheaper and without the FM transmitter (it does have an output jack) then I would get it.

I’d love to be able to get into the car, plunk in the iPod, and thats all. No power worries, no continuously plugging in cables, and no weird dash mounted holders and stuff.

Posted by Agentkow on December 4, 2003 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Anyone else get the last one? Was it any good?

Posted by Nicholas Howard in Los Angeles, CA on December 4, 2003 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

$99… that’s insane.
I agree, they SHOULD make a version without the FM transmitter - That would make a great device in and of itself.
They took so long in developing this product that I already bought other automobile accessories that were available; But I would spend a little more for a iPod holder and charger that was in one, simple unit… but not $99 more.

Posted by derek on December 4, 2003 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

These gizmos are no good, any of them, since you can’t leave your iPod in it’s special protective case, no matter what kind you have!  For $199 at CarToys in Portland, Or., you can replace your car stereo with a new one that has an audio-in jack on the front panel.  That way you get the great sound that the iPod delivers….FM transmitters and cassette adapters are a waste of time if you have any concern at all about sound quality!

Posted by Jean on December 4, 2003 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

I bet it’ll get too heavy for the cigarette lighter….

Posted by jmc in noitacol on December 4, 2003 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

Looks great and just right for my car.  As long as the FM transmitter works better than the ITrip transmitter which I tried and returned due to poor audio quality, I’ll spend $100 on it.

Posted by jlc on December 4, 2003 at 10:15 PM (PDT)

getting a mount, charger and transmitter costs more. It’s got a jack for a cassette adapter too. $99 aint so bad for one easy unit.

Posted by waynefountain on December 5, 2003 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

Besides the price tag, I have one worry: how is the sound quality doing to be? I use the belkin fm transmitter right now, and in order to get better quality sound, it needs to be as close to the radio as possible? if it’s the same case with this one, that’ll suck!

Posted by John on December 7, 2003 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

Jean: “These gizmos are no good, any of them, since you can’t leave your iPod in it’s special protective case, no matter what kind you have! “

Jea, I bought an itrip (which works really, really well) and a maclear zip case, then chopped the top off the case.  The itrip fits in perfectly and my pod is protected.

Posted by Andrew on December 8, 2003 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

my guestion is simple, (and i’m sure will go unanswered) - what will the distortion be like? i barfed 40 dollars for that POS Belkin power cable, only to find out that if i use my AUX on my car stero, there is tons of static, bucause it’s not grounded. If I go to a busy area, and NEED to use the AUX, because the proliference of of stations, and signals, will it be all staticky again?

Posted by Douglas E Bolst on December 9, 2003 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Has anybody tried one out yet? How’s it sound?

Posted by Chris on January 19, 2004 at 1:25 AM (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I received mine today, the same day I sold my iTrip. Anyway, it works great. Don’t worry about the display comment above, I’d much rather see what station I am tuned into than crash my car trying to change the frequency on that iTrip.

Now I can use the hard wired remote and charge the iPod as well.

So, in my case I give it a great rating.

Enjoy,

John

Posted by btveditor in USA on February 10, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

does it pivot?

Posted by cypherpunk in South Texas on February 23, 2004 at 11:08 PM (PDT)