DLO debuts VoiceNote voice recorder for iPod | iLounge News

DLO debuts VoiceNote voice recorder for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 8, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic Digital Lifestyle Outfitters (DLO) has quietly introduced its VoiceNote voice recorder for iPods. The $39.99 add-on “lets you record meetings, lectures, thoughts, ideas, conversations, or whatever you want through its built-in mic or external lapel microphone (both included).” It features adjustable level settings, a built-in speaker for playback of your recordings, and requires no extra software. DLO said VoiceNote is available now for pre-order, and is expected to ship in 2-3 weeks. It will presumably only work with third and fourth generation iPods.

« Analyst: Sony, Napster offerings won’t rock Apple

iPod shuffle demand ‘unprecedented’ »

Comments

Same price as a iTalk from Griffin only it includes a lapel mic. Nice addition. I’ll never buy it probably, but competion is great, maybe Griffin will drop their price, and then I’ll buy theirs smile

Posted by graphicgeek in Utica, NY on March 8, 2005 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

Posted by Gabe Wyner on March 8, 2005 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

“I imagine this is still going to have the same limitations of the iTalk in terms of recording quality?”

It’s not a limitation of the iTalk - it’s an Apple enforced limitation of the iPod itself.

Posted by Your Mac Life in Nashville, TN on March 8, 2005 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

will there ever be a mic for an iPod mini?

Posted by deepshallows in Maybrook NY USA on March 8, 2005 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

im 90% sure all these microphones work for the ipod mini, they just arent made specifically for it. They can still be used with the mini, just wont really look good.

Posted by Veasey in Cambridge, MA on March 8, 2005 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

isn’t the software not suitable?  i thought i saw a forum topic saying that the ipod mini software doesn’t support microphones. sorry if this is too off-topic

Posted by deepshallows in Maybrook NY USA on March 8, 2005 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

“will there ever be a mic for an iPod mini?”

Only Apple knows.

Posted by Your Mac Life in Nashville, TN on March 8, 2005 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

How widely do people need to use voice recorders?

I once bought a tape recorder for lectures but I never used it.  Just too used to taking notes and using them to study.

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on March 8, 2005 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

I have an italk. I only used it once when I opened the box.. pretty much useless for me.

Posted by frankthetank on March 8, 2005 at 10:11 PM (PDT)

I use iTalk at church.  It works suprisingly well—considering my church.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 9, 2005 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

I bought one.

The lapel mic simply doesn’t work. The VoiceNote itself works pretty well - not the greatest sound, but it records at 8 kHz, 128 kbps, 16 bit WAV, which is good enough for note taking.

I bought it specifically to include it in my 10 Quick Steps to Podcasting (which I’m feverishly trying to get out by the end of the week), and it ain’t gonna make the book if I can’t get the lapel mic to work.

The dlodirect.com website doesn’t even list it as a product - and no press release on it either.

Here’s what I wrote to them:

“I’m writing an eBook on Podcasting, and your device was going to be included. I’m leaning towards leaving it out unless I can get some help: the lavalier (you call it lapel) mic simply doesn’t work. I plug it into the VoiceNote, and then plug the whole shebang into my iPod Photo, and nothing. The moment I pull the lav out, the VoiceNote takes over and I get sound recorded.

Bad mic? I don’t know. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t know. There isn’t even any instructions on how to use the thing, just a “plug it in and go” direction on the packaging, in letters so small and so light, people may miss them as they throw out the packaging.

I’d rather not write the above, but it’s what I’m left with if I can’t get this to work. I’ll be talking about it on my radio show too, and I’d rather say good things.”

Anyone else have any experiences with this?

Posted by David Lawrence in Los Angeles on March 20, 2005 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

I’m deciding between this and the italk…what’s the difference besides the lapel mic that comes with the dlo?

Posted by crisa in california on March 23, 2005 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

I noticed one of you said that these are compatible with the ipod mini but no they’re not. I bought one and it says it’s not compatible. So don’t make the mistake I did.

Posted by Narayan Subramanian on June 27, 2005 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

Just an FYI.  The reason why it will not work with the Ipod mini is the fact that the Ipod Mini has firmware that prevents it from being used.  As for the 3rd and 4th Gen Ipod they had the software already incorporated into the Ipod for this resolve and that is why they will work for those models.  But as for the Mini, and currently the Nano and the 5th Generation Video Ipods there is no known video recorder for these models.  Well, for the Nano and the 5th Gen as of yet.

Posted by Daniel Huff on January 10, 2006 at 8:16 PM (PDT)