DLO HomeDock now shipping | iLounge News

DLO HomeDock now shipping

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, October 20, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageDigital Lifestyle Outfitters today announced that its DLO HomeDock home entertainment center for iPods is now shipping. The iPod docking center enables users play their music through their home stereo, display photos and videos on their televisions, charge their iPod and sync it to their computer. The HomeDock features RCA connectors, Composite Video, S-Video, USB 2.0 and comes with a 14-function remote control. It costs $99.99 and works with all dockable iPods, including fourth and fifth generation iPods, iPod nanos, and iPod minis.

« Australian iTunes Music Store coming next week?

Lap Locker intros PodLock iPod locking case »

Comments

So explain to me why I would want this instead of the new first party dock and 19.99 Apple remote. It’s considerably more expensive. Sure, the remote is more elaborate, but is that necessarily a plus?

Posted by Hrothgar on October 20, 2005 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

Yeah. I would rather get the first party, smaller and all.

Posted by wuju on October 20, 2005 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Well this one is black which makes it a perfect fit for me black nano whereas Apple’s offering is white only for the time being

Posted by hhv on October 20, 2005 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

Hrothgar - I’d be glad to explain:

[from the Apple Store]
iPod USB Power Adapter - $29.00
Apple iPod Universal Dock - $39.00
Apple iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 - $19.00
Apple Remote - $29.00
Apple iPod AV Cable - $19.00

Cart Total: $135.00

OR

1 DLO HomeDock - $99.99

- with a superior 14-function remote and a black finish that matches AV components better (and my new black video iPod ; )

I hope this answers your question.

Andrew - from DLO

Posted by andrewbg on October 20, 2005 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

Also, you can dock it with a case on your pod

Posted by Wayne on October 20, 2005 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

This sounds good to me, not too keen on the slot for remote, but its definitely a lot nicer than the Apple dock (I too am getting a black iPod). See how it goes when I get some funds, if it is available in the isles of England, I’m down. Otherwise, long shipping and inflated taxes are only worth it for an FM transmitter, hopefully getting the new AirPlay². Worried that it won’t look right on the normal iPod though, anyone at iLounge care to take a picture, assuming you got a model sent to you?...Cheers

Posted by Howard on October 20, 2005 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

I just picked one up from Best Buy a few days ago.  To my surprise, this thing is really light weight, to the point of feeling cheap.  The best way to describe it is a plastic box with some connectors.

I can’t believe I spent $100 for a product that doesn’t have the fit and finish that I would expect out of an iPod accessory, especially at this price point.

The other thing is that I find the buttons to have a cheap feeling to it since it make a click sound everytime I press on it.  Gets pretty annoying after a while.

This is definitely going back to the store.  Sorry, DLO, still not a fan.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by cellphonejunkie on October 20, 2005 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Andrew,

Thanks for the breakdown. Seems to make a little more sense now.

Wayne also raises a good point.

Posted by Hrothgar on October 20, 2005 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

I haven’t seen the product up close and personal… but here’s my question, I have a 3G iPod and am not looking to get rid of it anytime soon. If you have one, you know that it cannot be charged with the USB dock connector. That being said, why not add a firewire port to this product so that ALL owners of dock connector iPods can enjoy it?

Posted by Derek on October 20, 2005 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

With no Firewire support, this thing isn’t compatible with “all dockable iPods, is it? And I like the fact that the slide show of the product on the website just shows it surrounded by different products. All the views are the same. You never get a look at the back. Who would buy it without looking at the ports?

Posted by bad consumer on October 20, 2005 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

Just found the link with a view of the back. Sorry DLO!

Posted by bad consumer on October 20, 2005 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

awesome.

Posted by DoSoMeThiN' on October 21, 2005 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

Very poor audio quality. This thing picks up noise from the ipod (drive spinning, etc) and also generates its own noise. I don’t understand how the reviews could say this is a good product. I tested two of them with two different ipods (3g & 4G) at two different locations, with speakers and headphones, and got the same result every time. I doubt everything everywhere was defective.

DLO makes nice cases, but their electronics are crap. I rate the sound quality of this device as POOR at best, and certainly not worth the price.

Posted by RichG on November 19, 2005 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

i just bought one tonight. it was an impulse purchase—and not a wise one. the previous poster is right. the dock picks up noise from the ipod’s internal harddrive (it sounds like little morse code beeps at the beginning of every song.) completely, totally UNacceptable. Do not buy this product. this thing is going back to circuit city—first thing in the morning. i feel as if i’ve been scammed.

in short, the homedock is a high-school science project encased in professional-looking plastic.

Posted by johnny blaze on January 7, 2006 at 9:36 PM (PDT)